#1 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 09:42 AM

So we bought this '93 Ford Bronco for my son, needs the radius arm bushings replaced. So I start on it last night, tried to remove the large nut off the radius arm, sheared it right off  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

Time for a new one, man they are expensive too, need the brackets  cause they are worn out too. 

Anyway, as I was looking, it looks like a huge old bolt goes up through the front I-beam and has a nut on top which holds the spring on also. Any tips on an easy way to get this all apart?

I have a bad feeling that bolt is going to be rusted in place up through the inner part of that I beam.

I think I opened up about 50 cans of worms on this one, can't afford to take it some where, labor will kill me so I gotta do it myself.

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 09:52 AM

Maybe I've been lucky but I don't remember one ever being stuck. But....I've never twisted off a radius arm either!  A good strong impact and a torch are a must. Go through the spring and see if you can loosen the nut a little with a breaker bar and rattle it with the impact from the bottom.

• Alc and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 09:56 AM

4x4? There will be 2 bolts holding the radius arm to the front axle. One on top and one one bottom to allow room for the axle shaft to pass through. They will be tight! Something like 300 ft/lbs. A torch would be helpful to heat them up and make removal easier. I lucked out and did not have to remove them earlier this year whan I replaced my bushings.

• Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Maybe I've been lucky but I don't remember one ever being stuck. But....I've never twisted off a radius arm either!  A good strong impact and a torch are a must. Go through the spring and see if you can loosen the nut a little with a breaker bar and rattle it with the impact from the bottom.

I was using my impact and heat, wouldn't budge. I got the 18" 3/4 breaker bar and another 18" pipe and I thought it was breaking lose. Well, it broke alright, twisted the threaded portion right off the arm.

This Alaskan turd is going to be the death of me. Getting the nut off in between those springs is going to be a bear. 

Broke this nut/stud clean off flush with washer

2wd-4wd-14.jpg

4x4? There will be 2 bolts holding the radius arm to the front axle. One on top and one one bottom to allow room for the axle shaft to pass through. They will be tight! Something like 300 ft/lbs. A torch would be helpful to heat them up and make removal easier. I lucked out and did not have to remove them earlier this year whan I replaced my bushings.

yes, 4x4, but you must be thinking of the older design that had like a clamshell that clamped to housing. The newer style slides over the top and bottom of axle housing then one big bolt goes up through bottom then has a large cap that also hold spring in place.

Here are some pics from a Ranger, but same setup .

2wd-4wd-7.jpg

2wd-4wd-9.jpg 

2wd-4wd-10.jpg

2wd-4wd-26.jpg

• TomLGT195 and rust addict have said thanks

#5 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 11:39 AM

I never worried about mine leaking a little oil, always kept the underside oiled up and rust free. Can o' worms??? Thinkin it might be a bucket of crawleys. Good luck. 

• WNYTractorTinkerer and TAHOE have said thanks

#6 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 11:55 AM

I never worried about mine leaking a little oil, always kept the underside oiled up and rust free. Can o' worms??? Thinkin it might be a bucket of crawleys. Good luck. 

The whole underside of this thing is covered in oil....except the nuts on the radius arms where I need it.  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

#7 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 12:03 PM

It always works that way doesn't it? You probably get the road salt up there eh?  Actually I do spread the 'oil love' on rusted nuts and such while I'm under there doing oil changes. Once again good luck, keep the skin ON the knuckles.

Edited by rust addict, August 18, 2014 - 12:04 PM.

• TAHOE said thank you

#8 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 12:56 PM

I am not sure how much salt they use in Alaska, we just bought this from some friends who moved here in 2011. Is in overall good shape though as far as rust if they did use salt. Well, except the rusted arm nuts  :wallbanging:

#9 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 02:21 PM

Those are torque prevailing nuts assembled dry-which adds to the fun .Don't look like a nut cracker will fit in there, so use a lot of heat on the nut,get it red hot and hope it don't take the treads off the bolt.

#10 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 04:36 PM

yes, 4x4, but you must be thinking of the older design that had like a clamshell that clamped to housing. The newer style slides over the top and bottom of axle housing then one big bolt goes up through bottom then has a large cap that also hold spring in place.

Here are some pics from a Ranger, but same setup .

Nope, '95 f150, just had it all apart 2 months ago.

IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1676.JPG IMG_1675.JPG IMG_1715.JPG IMG_1709.JPG

Sorry I don't have one of the inside of axle housing. BTW spring is fairly easy to remove, Don't need a spring compresser, but needed a torch to heat the bottom nut red hot. Top is held with just a 1/2" head size bolt and strap.

Edited by Bmerf, August 18, 2014 - 04:50 PM.

• rust addict said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 05:35 PM

Thought we were talking 'older' Fords here, say 60's-70's. That to me is older. This is new to me!

• nbent, Bill 76 and rust addict have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 07:18 PM

I'm with Kenny......older is like 50's to 70's when I was working on this junk. AND, it's a Ford, first problem!!  I don't do this hard crap anymore, take it to shops now, just pay the bill!  Course I'm working with good wages too, fact, not bragging! I'm just not happy anymore crawling around under old trucks and cars and trying this stuff anymore.

#13 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 11:15 PM

Todays 50's 60's and 70's are now antiques. My last old Ford was a 1974 f250 extracab, a 71 before that. Working on them was usually pretty simple but gas out here went nuts and I had to go injected instead of 4bbl. My NEW Ford is a '96. haha. Need to get Patina Farmer to do mine, looks like he's got it down.

• Bmerf said thank you

#14 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:37 AM

Nope, '95 f150, just had it all apart 2 months ago.

attachicon.gifIMG_1645.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1676.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1675.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1715.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1709.JPG

Sorry I don't have one of the inside of axle housing. BTW spring is fairly easy to remove, Don't need a spring compresser, but needed a torch to heat the bottom nut red hot. Top is held with just a 1/2" head size bolt and strap.

So are there two separate bolts, not just one big one going through the whole assembly like I was thinking? I saw parts on line and the top bolt looked double sided where the spring mount nut bolted down, but didn't make sense to me. Looking at your pics show me what I couldn't picture in my head.

Sorry if my "older" was too new for you all  :D

I know, it's a Ford, the first problem  :rolling:  They knew they had a problem, they put a big blue circle around it.  :rolling:

I would pay someone, but it looks like the radius arm is going to cost a min of $110-125, plus I need the bushing mount too as it's worn oblong, that's another $30-40. i figured this would be 300-400 labor per side and I do not have that kind of cash. At this moment, I will only be buying parts and doing one side at a time a month or two apart. 

I dread getting into this, I'm betting the spring bolt will have to be cut off and replace too. that how my luck rolls. 

• Bmerf said thank you

#15 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:23 PM

Try a junkyard for the radius arm. Might be able to pickup the whole half of axle housing and radius arm together cheaper than you might think. Ford made millions of them, I believe all are the same '92-96, Bronco and F150 4x4s. It is TTB (twin traction beam) that is twenty years old and no one wants them for off-road toys. They ride great , but have always have been given a bad rap.

While you are in there, change ball joints if needed. Rockauto has the best prices on parts. Usually 1/2 or better than the local parts places. Most will be delivered within a couple of days.

Here's a picture of the truck: '95 f150, 4x4, 302 auto, Trac-loc front, Limited slip rear, 3.55 axle ratio, 4" Roughcountry lift, 33x10.5x15's

IMG_1701.JPG

Edited by Bmerf, August 19, 2014 - 06:33 PM.

• TAHOE said thank you