- - - - -

Yardman wont go into low range.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

• Member No: 1696
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 12:12 PM

I recently acquired a couple 42" blowers and a push blade to put onto a Yardman model 804 tractor. I've had three of these machines for about a decade but never used one in the winter.

Got a blower mounted up and it worked really well for a couple moderate snowfalls.

Now all of the sudden the machine will not go into low range. It's almost like the mechanism may have ice internally that prevents the shifter to move into the indent.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Attached Thumbnails

• misc records tractor 014.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,476 Thanks
  • 17,095 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 12:43 PM

Sorry I cant help you... Mabye someone else will have some input.

Is that a hydrostatic or gear driven Tractor?

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,334 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 12:46 PM

If you have ice in there, you're gonna have to warm it up & drain it out. IDK of any other way to get it out, if that's the problem.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 03:33 PM

I have no experience with Yardman but if it's like all the other newer tractors it has grease in the aluminum transaxle (no oil or plugs). Therefore if you want control of the transaxle lubrication in winter you need to go with an older Craftsman GT5000 or 6000. Not the ones with 6 speed shifter on the fender though, the ones with the 3 forward / 1 reverse pattern and a seperate range selector. Still an aluminum transaxle but way better for snow removal with a front mount blower and plenty of power, some have horizontal shaft engines even. Not saying your Yardman isnt enough, but to me the name says it all, "YARD"man. Now if it was a "SNOW"man it probably wouldn't have a problem. Now, I may be wrong about this but I am willing to accept this responsibility in favor of old iron. :D

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,244 Thanks
  • 29,698 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 04:43 PM

I have heard of water getting in those style transaxles & messing with the shifting. Would take likely a few hours with low heat blowing on it to see if that is it.

• Member No: 1696
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 05:19 PM

That gives me a little hope I wont have to tear it down. I'll stick a torpedo heater behind her and see if it makes a difference.

#7 oldgearhead OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1891
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 06:36 PM

More than likely Ice, Have you tried rocking the tractor back and forth with the engine dead?

#8 mikebramel OFFLINE  

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 07:03 PM

I have a problem with ice getting on the case. Seems like when the tires start to spin it throws snow and overnight it will freeze the shifter. After running it down the road it warms up enough to shift.