• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nbolens68 OFFLINE  

nbolens68
  • Member No: 61603
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 07:07 PM

I have a1968 Bolens 850 which runs really well the engine was just recently rebuilt, but now I have a binding or catching issue in the transmission when it is gear. The tractor will still move but it will hesitate as it rolls. I have looked at the gears and generally they look fine. Could it be that the rear end play needs adjustment? Thoughts?

• fogler12538 said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Any chance it's an axle issue. Could the drive side have sheared a key or stripped a spline. I'm not familiar with the Bolens rear end. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,339 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Parking brake On?  lol had to ask.

Could be the Throwout bearing on the driveshaft.My 1254 Throwout bearing was pretty much completely seized and it acted exactly like what your explaining.With the exception of my engine being worn out (smoked like a train and knocked like a bunch of woodpeckers)and it would stall the engine when I let the clutch out.

1 way to check the bearing is to simply pop the drive belt off and put it in neutral.Then go under and grab the driveshaft and turn it by hand.If it turns easily then the bearing is OK.If it's hard to turn or doesn't turn at all then the bearing is shot.  

Edited by EricFromPa, August 17, 2014 - 08:11 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 08:03 AM

I have a1968 Bolens 850 which runs really well the engine was just recently rebuilt, but now I have a binding or catching issue in the transmission when it is gear. The tractor will still move but it will hesitate as it rolls. I have looked at the gears and generally they look fine. Could it be that the rear end play needs adjustment? Thoughts?

Is the free-wheeling pin engaged to the right rear wheel hub?

Yes, the rear axle end-play may need to be adjusted.

If you can roll the tractor with the engine off, then the problem is usually in the end-play adjustment.  ....If you're not lucky, then a broken axle, a worn gear, or worse.

If you can't roll the tractor with the engine off, but the problem occurs with the engine running, the problem may be the same as above, or the cast-iron coupling between the driveshaft and the input shaft of the transmission is slipping on the trans input shaft.  ....You will also need to check the rubber coupling, and clutch assy.

It is difficult to diagnose the problem without more info.

• Alc said thank you

#5 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 08:03 AM

I had that happen to me acouple times. Once was the bearings in the clutch and the other time was I rebuilt the carb ( which seemed really dumb at the time because it felt like something was locked up boggin the motor) but fixed the problem

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens