• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 01:31 AM

I picked up a junk JD tractor which has a nice looking pair of loaded Carlisle 26x12x12 ag tires on it already loaded and ready to use.
I was wondering if anyone has tried running a pair of them on a 416?
The 416 never cuts grass, its only a work horse around the yard and garden. I pull a Brinly plow and push some snow with it in the winter.

Its actually a toss up whether to run them on the 416 or my newer 916, They should fit right on the 916, but the 416 fenders are a lot closer to the top of the tires. I've got wheel weights on both now, I'm trying to avoid unbolting the wheel weights to test swap a pair of tires. Neither tractor has a deck attached but the 916 gets used with a rear tiller in the spring.

What I'm thinking is going with the 26x12x12 tires in the rear and maybe a set of 5.70x8" tires up front to level it out if needed.

Edited by oldiron, August 17, 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 06:54 AM

Depending on how the tractor is geared it may be better to stick with the 23". Your speed will increase but the torque available will decrease, just as if you were running a higher gear. That's probably not an issue when plowing snow but might be when dragging a garden plough. For snow I find chains are the biggest help. If you aren't running chains now they are much better in slippery conditions than a larger tire or a Dif lock in my experience. 

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 08:27 AM

I had 24x12x12 turfs on my 416 that my BIL now owns, and they filled the space pretty good.  I don't think youcan get the 26'ers under there.

allis.jpg allis2.jpg

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 08:51 AM

26's are worth more than 23's, stick em on CL and then buy what you need. Those rims you got have gold in them, called JD Yellow.
  • sacsr and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 09:05 PM

26's are worth more than 23's, stick em on CL and then buy what you need. Those rims you got have gold in them, called JD Yellow.

Agreed...ditch um. You lose torque as mentioned above and would need to pull a 12" plow to fit the tire in a furrow, which the 416 wont do to begin with. For tilling, the tires will make you wider than your tiller. 26" look silly on a typical GT anyway. Pocket the cash and you can end up ahead with a better tire.

#6 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 11:48 PM

What are the JD wheels and tires worth?

I sort of figured the were the same rims just painted yellow?

The rims are 10.5" wide with older Carlisle ags with tubes and liquid ballast. They weigh in just under a hundred pounds each.

In actual measurements they're not that far apart in size. I think the 26" tires are small for their size and the 23" turfs I've got now are on the large size. 

The tiller I've got as both extensions on it, width isn't an issue there, and I've got both a 10" and 12" plow to try.

Gear wise I think I'm fine, I plow in 2nd or third now, I figure it would drop me down a gear. The goal is to gain some ground clearance. Right now when I'm plowing with the 12' plow the bottom is shoveling up dirt up under the seat. I'm digging in about 8 or 9 inches deel and a full 12" wide in loose soil, I've gotten stuck a few times when the tractor high centered on the furrow ridge. I'm also running an additional 50lb weight on the left wheel to balance out the machine when in the furrow, otherwise I get wheel spin on the left side. My current tires are 23-10.50x12 Tru Power by Duro, they work well but I think some more height would be nice.

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 08:33 AM

I would love to see your setup! I have never seen a 12" plow behind one of these. What kind of hitch are you using? That baby is digging deep for a 12" plow. I would love to see if I could manage a 12" x 9" furrow with my machines but I honestly dont think any of my gt's could do it. I suppose perhaps in sandy soil.

I sure love plowing....just dont get to very often.

#8 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 02:16 AM

I've got several plows, three set up for a sleeve hitch, one for a three point. The 10" is a standard Brinly plow, older but in good shape. The second one I believe is from a Jacobsen or Ford, its basically identical to the Brinly but with a 12" plow share and a longer arm, which I cut and welded on a standard sleeve hitch bracket, the third is a modified Farmall plow, it measures 12" but the plow share is larger all around. Someone gave me the Farmall plow since the frame of it was bent or modified by someone else, I cut it and was going to convert it to a three point but figured I'd try it as a sleeve hitch plow and it worked.
I don't try to bury that one very deep unless I know the soil is already loose enough. The 12" Brinly/Jake is fine so long as I'm not busting through new ground for the first time. The biggest problem with either 12" is that the machine bottoms and can get stuck if the soil is too soft or wet. I've had to drag out a tow chain and another tractor twice so far. I also don't like how much dirt gets shoved up over the transaxle and onto the belts. I thought about making up some sort of skid plate or deflector but I think that may only help it hold dirt in the frame.

I put the 26" tires along side a pair of Titan turf tires I had here and the 26" ag tires on the JD rims aren't more than 1.5" in diameter large and the width is hardly noticable. Maybe if they were mounted on full 12" rims they'd be a bit wider but as they sit I think their doable. I'm not sure which series Carlisle tires they are, they have more bars than most and the bars are narrower. One thing for sure, they're heavy. I was just going to scuff the rims up and give them a shot of off white to match the AC and give them a shot. I doubt the gear ratio change will be noticable. My thinking is that the one field I plow keeps turning up a lot of junk, like old bottles, car parts, and other various farm equipment parts. (the first time through I unearthed an old hit and miss motor It stopped me dead, but the plow got under and around it and lifted it up enough that I could get a strap around it and pull it free.)

The JD wheels are sort of freebies, so if they got torn up in that field it won't hurt so bad. I'm also thinking that the extra weight and traction may help it pull the larger plow better, or at least faster. If not maybe they'll go on the 916, which also will never see a mower deck. That one will most likely only plow snow and drag a mid grader blade or rear tiller. If I had a 7116 with a gear trans it would be ideal, I'm not sure the hydro is the way to go for plowing or not. It will come in handy snow plowing though I suppose. I like the hydraulics that come with the hydro trans models.

The 416S is a well used machine, its not pretty by any means, when i got it the hood was smashed down from the last owner felling a tree onto it. He hammered it out enough to open and close and rewelded the hinge area and all was fine. The original Kohler was replaced with a rebuilt Briggs 16hp right before I got it, the subsequent wiring issues were why I got it cheap with a lot of new parts. The seat pan is cracked front and back and rusted through pretty bad under the seat, the front spindles are worn and have been welded up and ground down to hold the wheels tight again, the hood holds about a gallon or more of water when it rains from the belly in the middle where its smached down on one side, and the entire machine lists to the left for some reason, most likely from the tree that landed on it. Most of the lean is in the dash tower, its rusted out beneath the battery and its tweaked over to the right a good bit. I've got a super clean 410 rolling chassis that I've considered swapping everything over too but I've not had the time to tear it down so long as it still gets the job done.

I strongly prefer the steering on the 416 over the open gears on the SImplicity too. I've thought about putting a straight three speed rear end into the 410 chassis and using the Briggs 16hp on that instead, but the fact that my 916 has hydraulic lift has kept me working on that in hopes of having it up and running properly by winter to plow snow. Hydraulic lift will be a big improvement over the manual lift on the 416S.

If I get them painted and mounted up I'll snap a few pics.

#9 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 02:27 AM

Also, my biggest concern pulling the 12" plow with the 416 is the rear axle tubes and tires, when the plow offers up a lot of resistance, the back tires squat down to the point I can't believe they don't pop. I keep waiting for something to give but so far nothing has broken, it just keeps on plowing every year. I've had a slow drip from the transaxle around one axle tube seal but not enough to ever notice any fluid loss. Maybe a spot on the garage floor about 4" around over the course of a year or so.

I used to plow with an old JD 112 but snapped both rear axles on that the first year, I restored it and sold it. Since then its been all AC/Simplicity and a few Bolens machines. I tried a few Cub Cadets but kept breaking clutch parts and the rear PTO and lift set up was more trouble than it was worth. I also snapped a front axle beam on one older Cub Cadet. So far I've not broken anything major plowing with the 416 and its a far more 'well used' machine than anything else I've ever owned.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Did you get the R1's mounted?

#11 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted September 05, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Depth of furrow is supposed to be half the share width. 12in share = 6in depth. Anymore is just wasting HP and fuel....Dave