• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 610 Thanks
  • 377 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Has anyone fought with Quackgrass and won?  2 years in a row of drought conditions the weeds got a strong hold of my yard.  I have hit it with weed and feed, that stuff barely made a dent.  So I hit the yard with some farm strength 2-4-d.  It got most the weeds in retreat pretty good, with the exception of quackgrass and a touch of creeping charlie.  All the research I have come up with says only Roundup will kill the stuff.  Has anyone found a way to kill this weed without killing the yard?

I am wondering if I very lightly pull a disc over the yard to lightly loosen up the soil and then over-seed with new grass seed.  IF I let it grown, not mow for quite a while, is that any chance the tall grass could crowd out the quackgrass or am I asking for additional problems?

#2 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 618 Thanks
  • 387 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 11:41 PM

Has anyone fought with Quackgrass and won?  2 years in a row of drought conditions the weeds got a strong hold of my yard.  I have hit it with weed and feed, that stuff barely made a dent.  So I hit the yard with some farm strength 2-4-d.  It got most the weeds in retreat pretty good, with the exception of quackgrass and a touch of creeping charlie.  All the research I have come up with says only Roundup will kill the stuff.  Has anyone found a way to kill this weed without killing the yard?

I am wondering if I very lightly pull a disc over the yard to lightly loosen up the soil and then over-seed with new grass seed.  IF I let it grown, not mow for quite a while, is that any chance the tall grass could crowd out the quackgrass or am I asking for additional problems?

From my experience once the quack get's hold it's a bugger to get rid of. Tried the 2-4-d with minimal success. So I'm not going to be much help. But as thick as that quack get's I don't think lightly disking and reseeding is going to do much more.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN, being surrounded by alfalfa fields, out lawn is basically clover, alfalfa, quack grass and some grass. And to kill everything and start over just wouldn't be an option with the acreage we have, nor would I want to do it on a small scale either.

Good luck with your search.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,554 Thanks
  • 9,303 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 01:06 AM

I will be trying this next year: http://www.solutions...c2076_a_7c38431

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,153 Thanks
  • 4,504 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 04:56 AM

I will be trying this next year: http://www.solutions...c2076_a_7c38431

In the video, they say you can't use it on residential lawns.

#5 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 610 Thanks
  • 377 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 11:11 PM

That stuff sounds pretty nasty.  I think I would just use roundup and kill everything before using that stuff.  Thanks for the info though, I found the read interesting.  I have/mow 'bout 5 acres, I'm only wanting to make the very front lawn look manicured.

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Crazy about GTTalk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 10,741 Thanks
  • 8,256 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 07:20 AM

http://www.bachmans....ssandQuackgrass

• FrozenInTime said thank you

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 05:40 PM

Seeing that this is a tractor site and we all love to use our tractors, my advice is to rip it all up, plant potatoes for a year, till it, level it, add a few inches of good topsoil, and reseed it.  Also a good opportunity to do some hardscaping, remove, replace, or put in new trees, shrubs, and flower beds.

I have no idea how to kill quack grass, but I do recognize an opportunity when I see one. 

• Cat385B and oldedeeres have said thanks