4 replies to this topic

#1 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 10:07 AM

Well I was looking forward to saving some money (on gas) this mowing season because I finally fixed the leaking gas valve on my 106 sediment bowl gas cock. I found 3 ''O'' rings in the local Sears plumbing dept that fit just right and replaced the old hardened leather (?) packing in the gas tap with all 3 rings. Gas would leak out during and after mowing even with the valve closed so I had to guess how much to put in the tank so I could mow and make it back to the barn. The rest in the tank would just leak out.

Feeling good about my repair I decided to do some work on the 42'' deck. Removed, scraped, primed . and painted the underside with epoxy paint, also sharpened the blades. Then I replaced the deck and got ready to mow. I noticed when I was rolling the belt onto the deck pulley it seemed to take a little more effort than usual but I got it on. Headed for the front lawn and engaged the pto lever. Hummm, seems to be bogging down a little so more throttle helps. I figured I mowed about 30 ft before I saw the belt shreds flying out from underneath. That belt had one season on it and I expected several more. I figured out that when I replaced the deck the drive belt had gotten on the outside of the deck hanger clevis on the left side. I always R&R the deck on the right side of the mower. I failed to inspect both sides to be sure of belt routing. All my potential gas savings went for a new $26 belt.  :wallbanging:

• sacsr, tinbender7, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Watch out, those plumbing supply seals may fall apart because of the ethanol in gas. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 05:09 PM

Maintenance always pays off, particularly if you can do the labour yourself. My problem is I always seem to end up with the tractors that were not maintained and of course they need a lot of repairs. 

#4 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 18, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Maintenance always pays off, particularly if you can do the labour yourself. My problem is I always seem to end up with the tractors that were not maintained and of course they need a lot of repairs. 

diddo  

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 08:47 AM

At leas the belt was $26, I have seen some belts get pretty pricey.  I think we all make mistakes like that, so don't beat your self up to bad.