Well I was looking forward to saving some money (on gas) this mowing season because I finally fixed the leaking gas valve on my 106 sediment bowl gas cock. I found 3 ''O'' rings in the local Sears plumbing dept that fit just right and replaced the old hardened leather (?) packing in the gas tap with all 3 rings. Gas would leak out during and after mowing even with the valve closed so I had to guess how much to put in the tank so I could mow and make it back to the barn. The rest in the tank would just leak out.
Feeling good about my repair I decided to do some work on the 42'' deck. Removed, scraped, primed . and painted the underside with epoxy paint, also sharpened the blades. Then I replaced the deck and got ready to mow. I noticed when I was rolling the belt onto the deck pulley it seemed to take a little more effort than usual but I got it on. Headed for the front lawn and engaged the pto lever. Hummm, seems to be bogging down a little so more throttle helps. I figured I mowed about 30 ft before I saw the belt shreds flying out from underneath. That belt had one season on it and I expected several more. I figured out that when I replaced the deck the drive belt had gotten on the outside of the deck hanger clevis on the left side. I always R&R the deck on the right side of the mower. I failed to inspect both sides to be sure of belt routing. All my potential gas savings went for a new $26 belt.