#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:49 PM

Have had a light L130 JD for years. Has twin vertical Kohler in it. Today was mowing in yard and it just quit like running out of gas. Would fire some on choke at first, then not. Took off air cleaner and sprayed start fluid past it and it would run on that. SO, guess not getting gas. See thru filter looked full and fine. This has Vacuum pulse pump on engine head. Pulled the line with filter from that pump and lowered it down, hoping to see it run fuel out. BUT, darn thing made lots of sucking noise, heard big action in gas tank, then the gas all sucked out of filter back to tank, the noise quit. Weird!  It's like the gas tank was under vacuum somehow and when line was off, it sucked air back in, gas with it. Put the hose back on, cranked a little on choke, fired right off and finished the lawn and put away. This is oddest no-start problem I've ever had. When I filled tank, I did overflow and had right up to top of the neck, and put cap on anyway. This do something to the vent in cap?? Sure glad it wasn't some parts replacement needed, supposed to rain all week-end and didn't want it out all that time. I've heard of Vapor Lock on cars from heat, but this tank is in back under seat and never warm on the lines or nothing. Got me stumped!

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:51 PM

Carb might of air locked.

#3 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 10:14 PM

i would think you vapor locked the tank, possibly check and see if the o ring or rubber flapper is degenerating

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 02:57 AM

Sounds like the Vent in the Gas cap is either clogged up "if its just a hole" or stuck shut if it has 1 of those rubber valves.

LOL looks like your not the only 1 this has happened to.

• Alc said thank you

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 05:45 AM

I've had the same thing happen with my push mower. No fuel line to check to check on that, of course, so I spent a lot of time cleaning the carb. Put everything back together, mowed for a few minutes, and had the same problem. Looked into the tank for some sort of blockage. Didn't find anything, but when I tried to restart the engine it took off on the first pull. (Also checked the cap vent). It still does this same thing, but just every so often. Now I just loosen the cap, retighten it, and it starts right up!
  • Alc, trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Right under the seat? Did you eat beans in the last two days?
Sounds Like The vent in the cap is plugged. Next time run it till it stops then open the cap slowly
  • Bill56, KennyP, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#7 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 06:57 AM

my guess would be the vent in the cap.  However- when it's usually the cap vent issue, it will run a couple minutes and then quit but it usually does run for at least a minute or two.

#8 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 09:03 AM

I got this had the same problem on my l130 sit on the seat and crank it theres a switch on it and it wont fire without weight on it becasue theres a switch on the bottom of the carb

#9 superiorpower OFFLINE  

superiorpower

• Member No: 3881
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 05:52 AM

Depending on its age, it could have a tank vent system as required by EPA for all new mowers. If you over fill them the "vent" can fill up and lock up. This generally requires parts replacement, supposedly. This could be in a cap "vent" or side tank vent. I'll have to refresh my memory later by rewatching the training video.