• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 06:07 AM

I got two kids and daughter with ambition got such good grades she got a college scholarship to a top engineering collage and got a degree. She used to be out helping me fix things on our antique tractor collection a bunch. learned how to drive my CJ 7 Jeep with a stick trans and when she bought her first new ride it was a Jeep with a stick trans and kept in in great clean shape. 

My son was always in his room it seemed reading a book about some dragon and damsel in distress. When I needed help he would whine and moan the whole time making it miserable to be around him. Could even get him to pay attention to what he was doing while mowing the lawn and hit trees and bent the deck up and the tractor so I gave in and just did the job my self. I would complain to the wife and she would tell me to let him be a boy while he could be one.

All that was over 20 years ago. My daughter just sold that Jeep last spring after her hubby wrecked it. He scared the crap out of me both times I rode with him driving. I have 3 grand kids from her two girls and a boy.

The boy once forced out of the house to work kept dead end jobs till they decided he had made to much money and they could hire people who worked cheaper. Lives in an apartment cause he don't want to have to mow lawns or plow snow. Never did finish college as he was just to lazy to do the work required. One grand son from him which we hardly every see cause he never married the mother and she has custody. He stopped calling here for help when he got tired of being told I just didn't have time to fool with his little problem as I needed to mow the lawn or plow snow or pull some weeds out of the garden and a thousand little things he couldn't seem to do when he was allowed to live at home.

I fix thing because I can and am like a little dog when I get so much praise for doing things. Just this last week I took the rear tire off my BIL compact ford that he ripped the valve stem off the tube. Broke it down and got a new tube and put it back together, then remounted it on the tractor. BIL was sure it was going to cost him thousands to get fixed and was over joyed to pay the 35.00 for a new tube.

:D   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, August 16, 2014 - 06:07 AM.

• Alc, Lmiller3358 and Huey have said thanks

#17 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 06:15 AM

My ex wife was/is that way. Just go buy a new one, we still have money on the credit card.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Huey have said thanks

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 06:27 AM

Just to add to all the great replies, and boyfriends/girlfriends, Morgen and her boyfriend, the ''why bother'' attitude does not even come close to applying, Christen is a Ford auto tech, very enthusiastic about her, the job, a better life and will make for a great father, good luck finding another one like that !!! Morgen works at a gas station, pumping gas, checking oil, etc..with a boyfriend like that we don't have to worry about helping/teaching fixing cars/trucks or money help unless it is beyond their means :thumbs:

Besides, that 115 lb girl could move the earth if you pissed her off enough, she fights hard for everything, the two continually impress the hell out of me.

Edited by trowel, August 16, 2014 - 06:29 AM.

• Lmiller3358 and Huey have said thanks

#19 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 06:38 AM

I've been ask "why bother " a few times and the answer is easy , I bother because tractors are the thing that connects
my father , myself and my son together. And yes I can't get back the money I've invested on a restoration but that's fine
I'm not doing it to make money and I don't plan to sell anyway. Time we'll spent is priceless to me.
  • Lmiller3358 and Huey have said thanks

#20 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 07:01 AM

The only "why bother" that is truly valid is "why bother trying to explain" to so many people why we do what we do.  Most wouldn't have time to listen to our explanations anyway, as they have a video game going, or need to watch "Big Brother" or the like.

• Bill56, Lmiller3358, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 07:29 AM

I'm wondering what you folks think is the purpose of life? Why are we on this Earth? Too, too many people(not just the kids) seem to believe they are here to be entertained, to have fun.

• Bill56, Lmiller3358 and Huey have said thanks

#22 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 07:44 AM

The reason for the "why bother" mentality is a self-centered lack of a vision for the future.  It is focused on the here and now, and not on twenty years down the road.

The entire country seems to focus on the here and now these days.  The principle of the credit card is buy today and get what you want, and deal with the consequences later.  The principle on every commercial on TV seems to be "Have a good time while the good times last."  That's why these kids go out and do drugs.  "We deal with getting dried up later."  That's why you here statistics like 50% of girls and boys are "hooking up" out of marriage and finding themselves with a child on the way long before they are even reached marriageable age.  "It'll all work out down the road."

The "why bother" mentality is what gives us the screwed up mess in Washington.  We'll ride the waves with our social programs that are bankrupting the whole nation, and even though the piper will present his bill pretty soon, we'll let someone else do with it. "Why worry about it?"

I think the education system has trained an entire generation in a self centered way.  In all honesty, it comes naturally to every selfish toddler, and all the folks in charge have done is foster that through junk like those "everyone is a winner" programs and the philosophy that the important thing is what an idea makes you feel. 

The Bible says it like this, "Where there is no vision, the people perish." 

Think about that.  Why is our country going down?  Do we have a vision or are we living for today? 

Ben W.

• Bill56, Alc, WHdbJD and 4 others have said thanks

#23 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,758 Thanks
  • 8,928 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 08:29 AM

I often have the 'why bother' thought when trying to keep politics off from a garden tractor website.

I guess it's because I care.
  • Bill56, WNYTractorTinkerer and Huey have said thanks

#24 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 09:03 AM

Are we being too political right now? I haven't heard any partisan politics.

• Bill56 and Huey have said thanks

#25 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 11:12 AM

When Jared came to visit me last year I was working him out in the yard and he said I was not helping his self esteem. In one of those dad moments I turned and told him that my job was to make a man out of him, not put him in touch with his feelings. and if he wanted his feelings coddled I would buy him a box of tampons and a dress and make him use them. He stood with his mouth hanging open for a minute then got to work.

The biggest 2 problems we have with this generation is they are worried about hurting someones feelings, and they want things done for them.

Jared kept saying he wanted a new truck when he got his license because the were better. SO I took him out in the field in the BlueOx and showed him what a 20 year old truck could do, then put him in Christine and showed him how to do a real burnout. He changed his opinion on older stuff. Last week when we were running around he had an Autotrader and was showing me old trucks.

Granted the boy has been raised by his momma and she wants everything new and shiny. But I see it in other kids his age. If it ain't new it ain't good. It is crammed down their throats in commercials - if you don't have the newest ???? you are trash.

It was amazing the change in the boy in the couple of months he was down here and he learned the value of work and that his feelings were not all that important to the rest of the world. Sometimes you just have to make the world mad to get the job done.

• olcowhand, Bill56, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

#26 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 12:38 PM

WOW....... I just spent the last 45 minutes ranting about this and ended up deleting my previous thoughts. Boy your all lucky for that,      lmao  I guess the right way to respond is not to. People who get it, get it. folk's who don't , don't. Children are a product of their environment. That's why I'm glad to have found a site where so many like minded people gather and share their knowledge and pic's of some kick a## gt's

• olcowhand, Bill56, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#27 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 12:52 PM

With the old time Lakota Indians, the women raised the boys until the age of 5. After that the men took the kid away from them and he lived in the men's lodge and was raised by them.

• Alc, UncleWillie, T Guiles and 1 other said thanks

#28 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 07:54 AM

I got two kids and daughter with ambition got such good grades she got a college scholarship to a top engineering collage and got a degree. She used to be out helping me fix things on our antique tractor collection a bunch. learned how to drive my CJ 7 Jeep with a stick trans and when she bought her first new ride it was a Jeep with a stick trans and kept in in great clean shape. 

My son was always in his room it seemed reading a book about some dragon and damsel in distress. When I needed help he would whine and moan the whole time making it miserable to be around him. Could even get him to pay attention to what he was doing while mowing the lawn and hit trees and bent the deck up and the tractor so I gave in and just did the job my self. I would complain to the wife and she would tell me to let him be a boy while he could be one.

All that was over 20 years ago. My daughter just sold that Jeep last spring after her hubby wrecked it. He scared the crap out of me both times I rode with him driving. I have 3 grand kids from her two girls and a boy.

The boy once forced out of the house to work kept dead end jobs till they decided he had made to much money and they could hire people who worked cheaper. Lives in an apartment cause he don't want to have to mow lawns or plow snow. Never did finish college as he was just to lazy to do the work required. One grand son from him which we hardly every see cause he never married the mother and she has custody. He stopped calling here for help when he got tired of being told I just didn't have time to fool with his little problem as I needed to mow the lawn or plow snow or pull some weeds out of the garden and a thousand little things he couldn't seem to do when he was allowed to live at home.

I fix thing because I can and am like a little dog when I get so much praise for doing things. Just this last week I took the rear tire off my BIL compact ford that he ripped the valve stem off the tube. Broke it down and got a new tube and put it back together, then remounted it on the tractor. BIL was sure it was going to cost him thousands to get fixed and was over joyed to pay the 35.00 for a new tube.

:D   Al

WOW, you just described my stepson to a tee !!!

• Huey said thank you

#29 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 01:46 AM

if he wanted his feelings coddled I would buy him a box of tampons and a dress and make him use them. He stood with his mouth hanging open for a minute then got to work.

Did/does he know where a tampon goes?? Cause if not.. I would love to see his face when you explained it to him..  :)

• trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#30 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 08:01 AM

Did/does he know where a tampon goes?? Cause if not.. I would love to see his face when you explained it to him..  :)

He had a pretty good idea.

• trowel said thank you