30 replies to this topic

#1 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,701 Thanks
  • 2,163 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Awhile ago I was in the garage working hard and not really doing anything As I am inclined to do.  The neighbors boy was over looking around and asking questions when he came out with that-------Why bother?  He was referring to the planet jr walk behind tractor I have and am trying to get going.  He could not understand why I would try to get the tractor running, he thought I should just go get a new one.

I did not think much of it that day, I gave him a long winded answer that really didn't answer the question.  but later I was thinking on it and really began to be bothered by it, that may be the one thing that is wrong with an entire generation.  Why bother?  Why bother when you can just go get a new one, just sign your name on the line,  Why bother to help someone broke down on the side of the road, what did they ever do for you?  Why bother.

This has bothered me enough I am drafting an article to submit here on gt-talk.  So what do you think?  Why bother?

• Bill56, Alc, Mr Electrak and 17 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 07:39 PM

I've pondered and been asked this question myself about restoring tractors, minibikes and fixing my old stuff instead of buying new.

There is an answer to each one.

I restore old tractors because one can't go buy a new tractor anywhere near the quality and robustness of my old cubs.

I restore the old minibikes because it's my childhood. It's fun and we'll it's fun.

I fix my old equipment, appliances and the like because I am cheap.

Also with my tractors and minibikes it's the history and uniqueness of each piece. Someone wrote a short story here that talked about the proud tractor who was eventually left in the shed to be scavenged for parts. That thought of the once proud tractor oddly enough leads me to work on them. I'd like to think each tractor I have redone has appreciated a new life and their adoptive parents appreciate and enjoy them.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 15, 2014 - 07:40 PM.

• Bill56, Alc, hamman and 9 others have said thanks

#3 classic OFFLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,399 Thanks
  • 1,578 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 07:44 PM

25 years ago my aunt said "is it really worth it" to me as I was working on a beat up '69 ss396 Chevelle.I bought it off of a friend for 750.00. I let it bother me until some years later when I was wise enough to analyze what she was about. It's more of a people thing than it is a generational thing,but you do have a point. More of this generation does not see Dad or Grandpa working on the old tractor, the car, the house, etc. Where I work, it takes mechanical aptitude and common sense to get through the shift. We find it tougher these days to find new employees with these qualities. Myself, I always had the desire to fix things that were broken, or to restore something that I found for cheap. There's quite a bit of self satisfaction in it, and if someone be it old or young asks "is it worth it", I say yup, to me it is. I guess we all do what interests us to keep us occupied through life.
  • Bill56, Alc, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#4 refracman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10428
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 07:47 PM

I know exactly where your coming from. My daughter's boyfriend while a nice kid (18) has a old car. The heat hasn't worked since last year and the exhaust is leaking. I told him I'll figure out why the heat don't work and you buy the parts and we can fix it together and while were at it I'll weld up the exhaust. He just looked at and said I'm getting another car in the spring, still has it. What gets me he says his uncle is a mechanic at a dealership and offered the same deal and do at his shop after hrs. 

I just don't understand, some if not most have that mentality.

• Bill56, Alc, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,236 Thanks
  • 7,471 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 08:25 PM

On the other hand. . .   I can not for the life of me understand the fascination of computer games.  Or, the need to dress up in  high fashion on a daily basis. The desire to spend 80+ hrs. a week making more money than a small village could spend. Or, a complete lack of empathy and compassion.

A very different world view.

• Bill56, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#6 superspeedex OFFLINE  

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 08:28 PM

I am a younin on here i guess you can say but i will say what gets me most nowadays that annoy the crap outta me is these kids that sit on there butts all day long and play on there play stations and stuff i see no piont in it and cant see spending that kinda money on a junk piece of plastic thing that cant be fixed id rather find a good deal fix it up how i like sell it make a few bucks and find another project that ill enjoy or possibly keep

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 9 others have said thanks

#7 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 08:35 PM

I believe it's the general concept of today, everything is disposable, why fix an old model when a new model comes out every six months, nothing that is manufactured these days is meant to be fixed except by an expert. I recently retired after working 31 years with tools every day fixing things. That means figuring out what the problem is and then figuring out a way to fix it. It's a challenge, I like a challenge, it keeps me thinking and moving. My neighbor had one of those fancy stainless steel four burner, two side burner B-B-Qs. He came to me one day asking if I knew how to work on them, I said "I guess", he said this one wasn't working right and he was on his way to get a new one so this 'old' one would be on the curb for the scrap man. I looked down the street later that day and could see from my place that his was about 5 years newer than mine. I had to see if I could fix it. So later that day I wheeled it on home opened it up and could see that my neighbor just loooved sauce on his grilled foods. Basically after a bit of dismanteling and a pressure wash I was the proud new owner of a slightly used but very fine B.B.Q. (he even left the tank on it). No I didn't need another BBQ, mine still works fine, no I didn't need another project to fill my already busy day, no I didn't think it a waste of my time to fix this one. I probably would have fixed it for him if he'd asked me too. But noooo, he just wanted a new one.Some people are just weird, is it him or me?

• Bill56, Alc, hamman and 9 others have said thanks

#8 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,337 Thanks
  • 8,683 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 08:46 PM

You guys will like this, then. My oldest daughter, who is 13, has picked out what she wants for her first car. It is a 1967, and said she would like to learn how to fix it up. She was told a restored one was expensive, and she asked if a fixxer upper was doable. She's not afraid to work.
  • Bill56, Alc, hamman and 12 others have said thanks

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:42 PM

You guys will like this, then. My oldest daughter, who is 13, has picked out what she wants for her first car. It is a 1967, and said she would like to learn how to fix it up. She was told a restored one was expensive, and she asked if a fixxer upper was doable. She's not afraid to work.

I am impressed Cat, rare thing these days.

Same as the guys are saying, changes in mindset and views these days is very different from as recent as 5 years ago much less 20, it would seem the year 2000 really did bring a lot of changes, many of them seem to lead us into a perpetual spiral into degradation as a whole.

Your not the only one Pete, i have been asked that question many times and have asked that question many time, my reply is usually the same, it is my life, this is yours i don't understand why you like doing that but i respect it, i expect likewise.

In an era of throw away material it seems the young ones has set the standards for things to come, make you feel like the odd one out sometimes and wonder what is coming 10 years from now.

• Bill56, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#10 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:58 PM

I agree with everything you all just said. My uncle Rod said at one time a few years ago," this new generation is a throw away generation leading to a throw away society......All I know is that it is job security for me...." He was in the HVAC business. I see it that he was right. So sad. Why bother.....because I care enough to preserve and use rather than buy and throwaway.                                                                                                                  Roger.

• Bill56, Alc, Huey and 4 others have said thanks

#11 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 864 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 10:10 PM

well i dont know if the younger generation is just lazy or what or is some of  our fault . possibly we gave the last generation to much, and they passed it on to their kids, and im not saying im innocent, i had children late in life and my 14 year old son likes tools, he took a wheel horse apart, i was hoping he would put it back together to, but no, he would rather be on the computer, i cant imagine him doing a mans job at this time but when i was his age i did, i was 14 going on 40, this generation just seems so immature, it will be much to my sons surprize tomorrow when the internet is down and he (my minion) has to get down and dirty in the veggie garden pulling weeds, he thinks its a waste of time when the green giant does such a good job,

• Bill56, Alc, LilysDad and 4 others have said thanks

#12 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 10:56 PM

Good goin'.   My daughter before she got her license had to learn to change the tire, check oil, water, etc. When she got her first car (used my wallet) a 2002 Ford Focus, I explained the process to getting it fixed. Take it to a shop where they will keep it for a couple days and charge $175.00 an hour shop fee, find a boyfriend that works on cars (that's a good one) or fix it yourself (I do help). Radiator pipe fixture, water pump, motor mount, serpentine belt, she knows them well. Here's her new truck and her new boyfriend, what did I say about finding one that can work on cars?. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 7-8-2014 047.JPG

• Bill56, Alc, Delmar and 4 others have said thanks

#13 nbent OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8320
  • 627 Thanks
  • 519 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 01:26 AM

the funny thing i find here is i get asked the same question by many people older than me.I am part of the next generation. yes i do play video games and probably spend to much time on the computer, but i also go outside and work on projects plus i'm working a full time job. i don't think its a generation thing as much as it is location. we have more kids growing up in cities where if something breaks you call someone else to fix it instead of tearing it apart and fixing it yourself or replacing it unlike where if kids were on a farm and you fix everything at the farm with your own hands and tools. Another thing i have noticed is kids don't want to do anything that involves WORK they see the reward from working and want it without doing anything, or as little as possible.

• Bill56, Alc, LilysDad and 4 others have said thanks

#14 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 04:52 AM

why bother...  Trying to understand the question in the first place i always liked the line from Colonel Frank Slade played by Al Pacino, role that won him Academy award.

"What do you know?  you've been watching MTV all your life."

He said that 20 years ago.  God only know what kids' brains are bombarded with nowadays.

• Alc, Huey and propane1 have said thanks

#15 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,301 Thanks
  • 1,293 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 05:39 AM

Why bother ??? I've had this discussion before ,,, my normal answer, I could be in the house , doing nothing , playing video games, watching tv.... or worse, sitting in a bar, getting drunk, or doing drugs, thats why I bother,,, Its something better to do !!!

• Alc, HDWildBill, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks