Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 11:34 AM

$595.00 was a lot of money back then !!!!

• jtrojek said thank you

#17 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 02:51 PM

It's great to see some literature on those tractors. I'm fascinated by how the full size garden tractors were built in the 40's and 50's. To see automotive parts, such as rear ends, transmissions, steering columns, etc. used to build a garden tractor is something else. It would have been fun to work on designing and building these machines. Rare birds like that are museum pieces in my opinion. The original price equates to around three grand today, so the average person back in 1948 most likely wouldn't own something like that. What amazes me today, is that you can find a well built tractor like an Economy for 500.00 that might need some work, but would probably cost well over 5000 if bought new today. Back in 1983, a base model 1614 with a 3 speed transmission, no lift, and 7.50-16 tires was 3400.00. A decked out 2418 was 4900.00.
  • jtrojek said thank you

#18 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 128 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 04:16 PM

it's nice to see these Canadian built tractors show up in the hands of someone who appreciates them.

• jtrojek said thank you

#19 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 04:57 PM

it's nice to see these Canadian built tractors show up in the hands of someone who appreciates them.

Well, thanks.  They certainly deserve some attention.  There are a few Canadian brands out there (not just Wilmacs) that are pretty scarce, so I've been not only collecting a few of the different brands myself, but I'm trying to put together the history and information on a number of them on my website.  Information on Canadian brands is scarce and scattered, so I'm collecting information too and posting it all on my website, trying to create a bit of a hub for info on Canadian brands.  I have a long way to go as it's a long process.

• Mike Unwin and classic have said thanks