#1 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 03:01 PM

Afternoon,

Anybody here using John Deere Corn Head grease in their old gear boxes etc ? I use to work on a Mueller tapping machine which used a heavy duty type speedo cable to power the head and it was lubed by a special 00 grease. I was told that,s where oil meets grease,it would flow on it,s own but mostly stayed in place. Oil is thickened by adding soaps and such but this Corn Head grease might be ideal for those older worn gear boxes prone to leaking. Some things like a Duro pump running in oil never had a seal just used a wide plain bearing to keep the lube in. I would be interested in hearing about your experiences. Cheers Mike

#2 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 06:10 PM

00 grease is Snapper spec RER trans and chain case.  Some Snapper ppl use the JD stuff say it is close. 

• Mike Unwin said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 07:30 PM

I am currently fixing up a JD 49 blower. I have the angle drive apart right now. The drive looked to have be lubed with the standard green JD chassis grease which doesn't seem like the right lube to me. The manual calls for Corn Head Lubricant  Part No AN102562. I've never seen it or used it anywhere else. 

• Mike Unwin said thank you

#4 framesteer ONLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 08:25 PM

JD Cornhead grease is type "0" grease.  I rebuilt the gearbox on an old - 1950's - Craftsman (Parks) wood planer.  The manual called for Type 0 grease.  Using JD cornhead grease was an economical solution, as Type 0 is not very common in non-industrial applications.  JD sells it in 14oz tubes for use with a grease gun. 

I'm a retired Deere engineer, and that grease is amazing stuff, and would be worth a try in a leaking gearbox.  I used it in the transmission and differential when I rebuilt my Bolens 915 Lawn Keeper.  Hasn't leaked yet.

• Bruce Dorsi, JDBrian, Mike Unwin and 1 other said thanks

#5 Dakota Boy OFFLINE  

Dakota Boy
  • Member No: 60314
  • 12 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 08:45 AM

I'm going to give it a try in the steering box of my 58 t-bird.    It sounds like a great product.

#6 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 08:36 AM

So I slipped down to my local John Deere dealer and picked up a tube of the Corn Head grease and put it in the Waterloo as it was seeping . Looks like a cheap fix for a lazy guy like me,if I do another got to work out a better quicker delivery system as the grease gun is too slow. Thinking of maybe the suction gun with the metal ring removed from the tube and just push it out. Seems a little thicker than the auto lube grease we used on our fleet trucks maybe on par with the auto lube for the loaders. What you spend on grease you save on baking sheets.  :wave: