• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 07:08 AM

Has the stock Kohler 16 HP engine yet. Was wondering if any one makes a kit to do away with the points on that engine. Also if so does any one have an idea how reliable they are?

:D   Al

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 02:26 PM

Al, I don't have any answers for you on getting rid of the points. I am guessing if you would ask in the garden tractor forum on the K341, there should be some one that knows. There just isn't a whole lot of traffic here in the Ariens section. This is an engine that was used by various manufactures.

#3 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I know that engine was used by several MFG's

:D  Al

#4 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Got to a WIFI location so could run a search and not eat up all my home computer time.

Jacks small engine has what I am looking for I think.

KOHLER : Replaces points and condenser. To retrofit Models k91, k161, k181, k241, k301, k321, k341 with magnetos. (Will not fit models with battery (coil) ignitions.)

My Kohler has a coil that fires the plug.

:D   Al

#5 warren OFFLINE  

warren
  • Member No: 48223
  • 42 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 08:24 AM

I believe that is not what you're looking for.  Your engine has a battery/coil ignition.  Two places for you to check;  find the website for Brian Miller tractor pulling.  That man has some AMAZING information on the various kohler engines!  Once you're onto his site, look for the, "ignition solutions for small engines and garden pulling tractors."   There you'll find TONS of great info.  What I believe might be an excellent solution would be the "point saver", sold by Kirk Engines, Inc.  You do retain points but supposedly pretty much will never need to replace them.  I still have a S16H Ariens that I purchased back in 1989, used it to mow, pull brush, and then around 1995 adapted a front end loader to it.  That tractor did almost everything, especially snow removal up here on the Vermont line, and until swapping the loader onto a GT20 just last year, was used practically every day.  ONCE I installed fresh points and that was back in 1995 when I put the loader on it.  Anyhow, I'm not a mechanic but thought I'd toss my 2 cents out here.  Good luck! 

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 04:46 PM

find a bearing plate, a shroud,  a flywheel, and a coil for a 12, 14 or 16 HP Magnum (single cyl) kohler. Same engine except for electronic ignition instead of points. Leave points in place (but no wiring) to hold plunger in place to keep oil from coming out plunger hole.

A lot of internal parts even directly interchange between a K341 and an M16...

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 02:13 PM

www.krikengines.com

Pointsaver does not do away with points but does greatly improve performance and life.  Kirk also sold a Pointslayer which is a SS conversion and I installed it on my 120. He no longer sells it.