#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 09:07 PM

I recently acquired a Case 210 with 10hp K241A and 4 speed Peerless transaxle.

Engine will need a bit of work.It smokes pretty bad and has a great deal of blow-by.Smoke just pores out of the valve breather.It also has a Blown head gasket But it starts rather easy and seems to run OK for it burning that much Oil.

I plan on replacing the head and head gasket and put a fresh set of rings in it to start with.

Does anyone know if the bearings for the Jackshaft are still available?

case210.jpg

And Will a Transaxle out of a JD 112 will bolt up in it?

It looks like the same transaxle thats in the JD112 I have with a blown Kohler and seized up variator.I know the tranny is good in the JD but the rest of it is rusted up and all busted up and missing alot of parts.

The tranny has a good bit of water in it and pops out of 1st and 2nd gear and sounds like it's going to fly apart.It sounds really rough.

The bearings in the Jackshaft are pretty rough sounding also.I had the belts off of it today and checked everything out on it.

Also I need to know if a 44" Deck off of a 222 will work on it without any modifications.Looks like I may have to find a set of deck hangers.The carage and mule drive are there but the hangers are MIA.

Here's the hangers that I am missing.

5417468_7_l.jpg

I'll post pics of my 210 in the morning.It needs some lovin but I think I can save it.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 09:17 PM

Those Hangers are overrated, just bypass them lol

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 09:41 PM

:shoot2: :rolling:

Going to take the head off and see how bad the cylinder is in the morning.Looks like it was run for a while with the head gasket blown though.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 14, 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 09:46 PM

If its like the 222 I bought back the idiot didn't know the head bolts get torqued.... Or that there is a pattern of doing so... And they you should use anew gasket.... Dumb people. I got off lucky and the head took the hit.

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 11:21 PM

any good bearing store should be able to match up the bearings and the flanges if you need them.

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 11:24 PM

The PO of this one is far and above just being Dumb.He's one of those Used Car Salesman type people.Talk and Talk and Talk and take your money and tell you this and that then once the deal is made your stuck with an overpriced paper weight.

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:03 AM

With K series if timing is off engine can smoke, maybe check timing before teardown.

Need jshaft bearings, google Brian H Salem Power Equipt Case/Ingersoll dealer he can get just about any Case part you need, very fair on price, good luck

• EricFromPa said thank you

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 10:00 PM

It's burning oil pretty badly.Blowing alot of smoke and vapor out of the Valve breather after it's warmed up as well.

I found 2 different sets of Jackshaft bearings.1 set is $8 each and the other is $40 each depending on the model number of the tractor.

Where would I find the model number on a Case 210?

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 10:48 PM

Wow did I find a good source for Case manuals.There's Tractor Parts manuals for every Case Garden tractor from the 120 up to the 4120.

http://eastmanind.co...96/Default.aspx

Edited by EricFromPa, August 15, 2014 - 10:50 PM.

• Oldford said thank you

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:38 PM

Took the head off today to replace the head gasket and check the Cylinder Bore.

Head was warped quite a bit but the gasket was OK.

I had a few heads laying around so I just put another one on and a new head gasket and re-torqued the nuts.

Noticed it has a STD Bore piston and it Looked like the cylinder was Bored out for a .010 oversized piston.There is a pretty big gap the whole way around the piston.Even when the piston is at TDC you can see the rings.

That would explain why it has so much Blow By and and why it's smoking like a train.It has Alot of piston slap but No Rod knock.

I'm thinking someone had it bored to .010 oversized and just put .010 oversized rings on a STD Piston.The Cylinder bore is to Clean and straight down the entire bore for it to just be worn like that.

I'm kind of baffled by this 1.

It runs really good other than the clack clack clack under load and all the smoke poring out of the breather and exhaust.

I'm going to have to borrow my neighbors Bore Gauge for this 1.Might just be able to hone it a bit and slap a fresh .010 over piston and a set of rings and call it done.

Edited by EricFromPa, August 19, 2014 - 06:39 PM.