#1 powerking56 OFFLINE  

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 12:04 PM

Spent the better part of Saturday shoveling the folks' house and garage roof. We were forecast to get more snow Sat night, [we did, 7 more inches with some sleet in the mix and a thunder snow storm too!!] and there was 30-36" up there already. Anyone else had to do that this year? Local fire depts were toned out Sunday am, barn roof came down one town south of us, lost 2 cows 12 more had to be rescued from the rubble. This has been a rough winter on roofs around here, no January thaw to melt the off the snow load... Gotta do my porch roof tonight when I get home from work.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,232 Thanks
  • 29,692 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 12:08 PM

You guys up north sure have your hands full! Be careful dealing with all that snow load.

#3 dstaggs OFFLINE  

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 12:39 PM

Been thur that a it ain't no fun lost a barn back in 2000, Lucky all the cows and calves got out the corral panel gates held it up some, then went 21 days without power.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 12:39 PM

That is just something I was thinking of doing.I have quite a lot of snow on my roof,and it's a fairly flat roof having only about a 3' rise from eaves to ridge board.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,671 Thanks
  • 28,321 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 04:43 PM

Bought a roof drag years ago, allows me to do it from the ground or eaves. worth every penny... if you get the good ones.
My daughters room has a shallow pitch on it & this year had to clean it off as we started to get a leak.

years gone by, if you wanted to clear the roof, you'd crank up the heat & open the attic door, too expensive to do that now.

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 06:09 PM

Yep, shoveled off the whole house and chipped the ice out of the front gutters (4 hours) I feel so much better with it done, I had it 5 feet deep in a few spots! Last news I saw, 90+ roofs have fallen in Mass and lots of closed buildings!

PS: I think I am going to build a roof rake. I saw a nice design that had a frame with rollers, and the back side of the frame had a hinged flap. The idea was to allow you to "roll" it through the snow, but when pulled back, the flap would close and pull the snow. The nice thing is that the weight would not be as bad because you were not lifting it. The wheels also keep it from scraping the shingles too. If it left 1/2" of snow, it's not really a big deal.

Edited by FirefyterEmt, February 07, 2011 - 06:31 PM.

#7 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 09:06 PM

Sorry for you guys with all that "roof snow". Be careful.

#8 tractormike OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 09:49 PM

We had a 14 inch snow fall early in the season and I used my roof rake to bring down quite a bit of the snow off of our roof. Mine is plastic with a tapered bottom edge. The taper lets it ride up on top of the snow on the upstroke and lets it sink into the snow when you pull it down. I don't get every last bit of snow off but get most of it to take some weight off of the roof.

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 03:01 AM

Havn't felt the need this year.
Last year, or meby the year before I shoveled 3+ feet off the roof though.
That was one moment I wanted to go back to dealing with hurricanes, but I still prefer the snow.