• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Rbrracing32 OFFLINE  

Rbrracing32
  • Member No: 53356
  • 16 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 04:50 PM

I'm gona set it back in tonight run thru some numbers and see where it is I'll let ya know how it works out. I was wondering the same the grinder told me it wouldn't work that by doing that I would change valve timming well see not sure this guy really know what he is doing to my cam this is the third one he done for me and I think it's sbout it. He is a really well know guy for doing gocart stuff you would think he knows what he's doing.

#17 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 05:03 PM

I was wondering the same the grinder told me it wouldn't work that by doing that I would change valve timming

I'm not sure you understand what I'm trying to say. 

Time the cam to the crankshaft as it should be, using the marks on the cam & crank gear.   ....The VALVE timing will be correct!

Now, using your degree wheel, rotate the crankshaft to 20* btdc (make sure you're on the compression stroke).

Try setting your points to open at this position.   ....Do you have enough adjustment on the points to accomplish this?

The most accurate way to set the points to open is with a continuity tester (test light or meter). 

The coil fires when the points just open, not when the points are at their specified gap!

#18 Rbrracing32 OFFLINE  

Rbrracing32
  • Member No: 53356
  • 16 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 10:28 PM

Yes I have done that I pulled another cam from a old block I'm gona eventually rebuild and the timming love is in the right spot it is that he ground the lobe to small where it starts to open so it starting to open to late. Gona send him both cams so he can see what he done and hopefully fix the one he messed up or grind the other one and reimburse me my 200. For a cam I can't use.