• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ianhw77k OFFLINE  

Ianhw77k
  • Member No: 61540
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Hello, my name is Ian, I am from the south east of England and I have just been offered an old Homelite T8 tractor mower with cutting deck and a tiller attachment.

I've just been searching the internet for information and found this place. This will be my first project of this type as usually my brother and I restore old stationary engines, we even have a few American examples including a 1929 Kohler 4 cylinder and a Briggs model RC from 1931.

I will do my best to put up some pictures of the Homelite now and ask if anyone here has any information about it, like age, who made it (I believe it is a Simplicity model but not quite sure), where I might be able to download any manuals etc etc.

Thanks for looking.

2014-08-14160223_zpsc0f3b462.jpg

2014-08-14160233_zpsc49e40a9.jpg

2014-08-14160243_zps99325647.jpg

2014-08-14160321_zpsa15a32e9.jpg

• MH81, Alc, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 03:51 PM

I just found & uploaded the parts manual for your tractor.  You can find it HERE.  Your tractor model number is 1600123 (Simplicity Number)  No owners manual show up.

• MH81 and Ianhw77k have said thanks

#3 Ianhw77k OFFLINE  

Ianhw77k
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 04:06 PM

Well that's a really good start, thank you very much. :thumbs:

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 04:33 PM

Ianhw77k Welcome.   I think I have a Owners manual for that tractor. I will have to get into the files to see for sure. I may have a parts breakdown also. It will be a couple of days to get it located. Looks like a good project for you. Over here you don't find them i that kind of condition. You also don't find them with the rock guard on the mower deck.                                                                                  Roger.

• MH81, trowel and Ianhw77k have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 05:08 AM

Welcome to GTT. One word of caution, the tractor is supposed to swivel just under the front of the seat. If it doesn't, it can be a big project to fix. If it works right, keep it well lubricated. Easiest test is to jack up one front wheel by an inch or two. If they both come off the ground evenly then the swivel is stuck. Look at our Manuals Section for more info. Three free downloads per day. Look under Allis Chalmers, Simplicity, and Other. Other has a parts manual and several mower manuals for Homelite. You will find that little tractors are fun.  Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, August 15, 2014 - 05:08 AM.

• MH81, trowel, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#6 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,887 Thanks
  • 2,793 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 05:40 AM

Welcome aboard mate nice Homelite !
  • trowel and Ianhw77k have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 05:51 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Nice looking tractor!

• trowel and Ianhw77k have said thanks

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 06:35 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk, looks like the guys are already getting you great help.
  • Ianhw77k said thank you

#9 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Welcome to the forum, Ian! Nice looking Homelite.

#10 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 08:04 AM

:welcome:

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:23 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Ian.  In the pictures the tractor looks to be in good shape.  Let us know how the project goes.

#12 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 10:33 AM

PM sent.                                                                     Roger.

#13 Ianhw77k OFFLINE  

Ianhw77k
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 03:50 PM

Thanks everybody, nice to meet you all.

I haven't managed to get this baby home yet as I'm under strict instructions to clear some other projects out of the way first to make room in my small workshop. As for the swiveling of the seat, I saw something about that in a youtube video. I think it may be stuck but it was difficult to tell as the seat was wet and covered in slugs!

This mower was dry stored for a long time in a garage but it has spent the past two years or so outside, badly covered with a small tarp. The guy has been asking me to take it away ever since he had to move it. I am surprised at the standard of the paintwork, I was thinking it would need painting but on further inspection, I think it may look better in original, working clothes.

I plan to show it at the local steam and country shows that I and my young family like to go to, we usually show engines so this will make a nice change and the kids are already asking if they will be allowed to drive it. I also hope to earn a little money mowing the odd paddock and use the tiller attachment for my allotment. The main work seems to be a bit of rust removal and treatment underneath and freeing off all the linkages and pulleys that are a bit stuck. The engine was apparently smoking a bit when last used so that may need looking into. I'll start with some fresh oil and gas and see where we go from there.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 05:29 PM

Thanks everybody, nice to meet you all.

I haven't managed to get this baby home yet as I'm under strict instructions to clear some other projects out of the way first to make room in my small workshop. As for the swiveling of the seat, I saw something about that in a youtube video. I think it may be stuck but it was difficult to tell as the seat was wet and covered in slugs!

This mower was dry stored for a long time in a garage but it has spent the past two years or so outside, badly covered with a small tarp. The guy has been asking me to take it away ever since he had to move it. I am surprised at the standard of the paintwork, I was thinking it would need painting but on further inspection, I think it may look better in original, working clothes.

I plan to show it at the local steam and country shows that I and my young family like to go to, we usually show engines so this will make a nice change and the kids are already asking if they will be allowed to drive it. I also hope to earn a little money mowing the odd paddock and use the tiller attachment for my allotment. The main work seems to be a bit of rust removal and treatment underneath and freeing off all the linkages and pulleys that are a bit stuck. The engine was apparently smoking a bit when last used so that may need looking into. I'll start with some fresh oil and gas and see where we go from there.

Sounds like you have a good plan, one step at a time, we can and is willing to give good advice regarding the tractor.

Looking forwards.

#15 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 06:28 PM

:welcometogttalk:  nice looking tractor , good luck with it.

plenty of guys here to help answer questions ,so don't forget to ask if you get stumped . Tom