• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 02:20 PM

I gotta agree to definitely include a safety pressure relief valve.  Water heaters in milk parlors typically are set to 160F+.  Many milk parlors have had their concrete walls & their ceilings blown completely out from just a water heater.  If you're anywhere close, you're history as well.

• MH81 said thank you

#47 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 03:53 PM

I was wondering what size tires these are?   

Ranger, those tires on my Meteor are 23x8.00-12 Carlisle All-Trails.  They're ATV tires and the overall dimensions are about the same as 23x8.50-12 turfs.

#48 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • Member No: 61505
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 01:47 AM

OK, everyone, I guess I should have been more specific instead of just putting it off as I'm not worried about the pressure!

Sorry about that guys, but it isn't as large a worry for me because I have spent time thinking about it and I would be worried if there were a need to be, but I haven't really spent a lot of time thinking about it because I see it as a small problem that I will deal with when I get to it. And I think I'll do so pretty easily.   

Basically, as I said, without giving it a lot of time thinking about it or doing much more than a small drawing on it, I am going to have an open system with the storage tank having a 2" pipe maybe 12" long welded on top of the tank, then a 6" pipe fitted with a piece of plate metal 6" round welded to the top of that and a second 6" disc on top of that with another 2" pipe welded above that. Of course both disc will have a 2" hole in them for the water to flow through, and it will stay full or close to full to the top even if I have to install a float valve that will automatically add water as needed.

The cold air outside should cool the water that will be at a dead stand still so that any steam that comes through the water will be condensed back into a liquid before leaving the boiler.

That is my theory anyway. :reading_the_manual:

I think it'll work without a problem but hey, I have been wrong before, and I am sure I'll be wrong again. Matter of fact, I am starting to get use to the fact that I am wrong a lot here lately.

Canawler, those tires look bigger then that with the rear end in the middle but I'll take your word for it. 

I have so much on my mind that I forget what size mine are now, but it seems like they are bigger than yours. Ah heck fire, I'll be right back. 

I guess you can tell that I am getting pretty tired when type, "Heck, I'll be right back," huh?

Anyway mine are 23x11.00x8 but I forgot to take a tape measure with me and I know the tires are taller than 23". It seems like they are almost or a bit larger than 26" tall. It may have been in a PM, e-mail, or on another forum but I measured them and posted how large they were and that's the best I remember. If I am right and I am sure I am, then mine will be about as nice looking as yours are. But mine has the regular tractor type treads.   

Well, it's past bed time now.

Actually I just woke up for a bathroom run a while ago and I wanted something to drink and a smoke so hear I am for maybe two more minutes, LOL. Ya'll be good. 

Godspeed

Ranger

Edited by Ranger2000, September 16, 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#49 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 05:28 AM

I think you might have confused us ( me anyway ) by calling your furnace a " boiler "   When I think boiler I think a high temp. steam pressurized system .   Now I'm catching on lol

• Ranger2000 said thank you

#50 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 05:38 AM

I think you might have confused us ( me anyway ) by calling your furnace a " boiler "   When I think boiler I think a high temp. steam pressurized system .   Now I'm catching on lol

Me too. I was under the impression the system would be sealed. If water side is vented to atmosphere, there should be no issue.

#51 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 05:57 AM

Yea. I know Al.

I am the same way and the bad part is that I was a boiler maker welder for years among several other trades and if anyone should know the difference it should be me.

Well I do know the difference very well, but the main name that most all the outside boiler/furnace companies in the industry calls them is boilers and I just figured I'd do so too, even knowing that it isn't truly a boiler, just because it sounds better for one reason I guess and then also at the same time if I call it a wood fired outside furnace I end up getting back to calling it a boiler before anyone understands what I am talking about.

It's like one of those danged if I do and danged if I don't deals, LOL.

Godspeed

Ranger

Edited by Ranger2000, September 16, 2014 - 06:00 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#52 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 16, 2014 - 07:02 AM

OK, understood.  An open system of course will be safe from a pressure explosion.  I too thought it was a closed system.

#53 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 06:36 PM

I would not blame a single one of you if you all thought that I was telling you a lie about what happened today because if it weren't me that it happened to, I would think that I was lying myself.

A friend called me yesterday and ask if I could work with him today. His boss was mad at the guy that had been helping Tracy because he told him that he couldn't work today and ask Tracy if he knew anyone that might help him so he could finish the job today and Tracey told him about me.

Tracy told me he wouldn't pay me but $8 an hour but it was cash, so what can I say? I need the money so I said yea, I'll work.  

Well to start with, I haven't been on the job 30 minutes this morning when the boss came over and talked to me for a few minutes and before he left he told me "Don't worry about what I told Tracy I'd pay you. I didn't know you knew as much as you do, so I'll go ahead and pay you $12 an hour.

Well all he was paying the other guy was $8 but I went to the truck for my tool bucket and David told Tracy from now own he wasn't working the other guy any more. Any time he needed a helper he'd use me.

Well it got on up to the middle of the morning and I had to go to the little girls room in the woods, if ya know what I mean, and when I started back up the hill, now this is the weird part, I saw another David, in the way of an old David Bradley two wheel tractor. There was a shed setting down there just into the wood line from the field next to the cemetery we are working on an old iron fence and there the tractor set.

I had never heard of a David Bradley anything in my life until I joined this forum, and to walk up on that thing in the woods was like,, I don't really know what it was like. It is just unbelievable to say the least.  

I didn't have a tap[e measure on me but the tires has got to be 14 or 15 inch tires and the wheels only had three lugs.

I ask the deacon of the church if they would sell it to me but he said they don't own that land, that the people in a house next door does, but no one was at home all day.  

I want it so I can take that hood, I'd guess you would call it, split it down the middle and add enough metal in there to make it wide enough for the tractor I want to build.

David Bradley is embossed into the top on both sides, and I figured it would blow some minds setting on mine when I get her built.  

I am working there again tomorrow so if no one is there I will leave them a letter and ask them to call me.  

Well, I worked a hard 9 hours today and just wanted to share that with all of you before I go to sleep in the bath tub, LOL.

Godspeed

Ranger

• MH81, KennyP and EricR have said thanks

#54 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted September 17, 2014 - 07:47 PM

Ranger,
I think those are 16" rims a d the three bolt system was used all the way thru their run as far as I know.

Kinda surreal to find one abandoned, isn't it?

Glad to hear you're getting some steady work maybe. :thumbs:

#55 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Ranger,
I think those are 16" rims a d the three bolt system was used all the way thru their run as far as I know.

Kinda surreal to find one abandoned, isn't it?

Glad to hear you're getting some steady work maybe. :thumbs:

Yea MH, I guess surreal would be a good word to describe it. I was kind of like beside myself when I saw it setting there but when I walked up to it and it had David Bradley embossed on the side of it, and I remembered that was one of the names I had seen about the old tractors, now that really blew my mind. As I said. I had never heard of a David Bradley anything until I joined this forum, and then to walk to the woods do some business with nature and bang, there it was just setting there. yea, I'd say surreal would be a good way to describe the feeling.  

But we finished up the rails around the cemetery today and no one ever came home and I was so busy I forgot all about that tractor until just a few minutes ago so I didn't leave them a note as I said I would and the job is about 30 miles out in the middle of nowhere but I am going back out there Saturday anyway just to see if I can find the owner.

And hope I can buy it for a little of nothing but I have changed my mind about it.  

When I saw that thing the first thing I thought about was just using that hood and putting it on my tractor when I get it built. I was thinking about splitting it down the middle and adding what ever I needed to, to make it look as if it came on my tractor but I can't do that.    

I can use the hood on it for a pattern, to build me one like it for my tractor but if I can get it, you men have done let that dang tractor bug bite me too, I guess.

I have already decided I don't want to destroy something like this just for a hood so I can have a one of a kind tractor that'll blow every ones mind.

I can copy the hood if I can buy it cheap, and if I can't do that, I'll set down there and draw it out, get all the measurements counting the David Bradley embossment and build one as close as I can to match it anyway.

But hey, rebuilding this tractor isn't me at all. This tractor should belong to one of you.

You all love this type of thing. I want to build me a tractor because I want it to be known that dad danged it, when I set out to build something like this, it doesn't break and I build it cheap with used parts as much as possible.  

I am going to do the best that I can to buy this one as cheap as I can and I don't know how to do it.

I am not out to make any money on it. Not to speak of anyway. Enough to cover my time and expenses is all, but I don't want to auction it off on E-bay or somewhere trying to make all I can get, or even on here.

I'd like to sell it to someone here get it because you seem like friends, but I don't want the richest man to get it just because he'll out bid someone else either.

I hope you all understand where I am coming from there. I pull for the underdogs because I am one, OK?

So let me see what I find out Saturday and we'll go from there. I'll just use the hood for a pattern and sell it at cost plus shipping if anyone is interested.

I wonder what all types of implement they made for that thing. !6" wheels? All it has on it now is two disc that looks like they might be 12" in diameter and they are about three feet apart on the outside corners of the rig they are on.  

But one of you deserves this. I'll build mine.

Godspeed

Ranger

#56 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Ranger,
Sounds like the frame of the cultivator.

Don't get much to anything in it. They are plentiful in some areas yet and the market fluctuates. Also, the shipping would be steep for most of us.

At least get some pictures, then maybe the knowledgable could educate you on the brand a little.

I don't want to come across as not wanting you to save it... Just the opposite, I just don't want you to get in deep on it and I expect that after some education (self or from here) you will be more interested in it than you would want to admit.

#57 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Just a couple of the threads with videos and some info on how useful these are in tight quarters.
They even made sulkys for them and then you could ride around on it.
http://gardentractor...eo/#entry288360
http://gardentractor...es/#entry289573

#58 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 12:57 PM

MH, it seems that I must be the only one but I can get a video to play at all, but reading the post where there were 11 post made, one of those 11 post has a picture of a two wheeled tractor with no hood setting there and then another two wheeled tractor with a hood setting the other side it that looks like the one I saw in the woods.

The one without the hood has a set of disc that might be the same disc implement on the one I found but there are only the two outside disc on this one.

That hood is what I had wanted to use to put on my tractor when I build it, but as much as you guys love those old tractors like this, I can't  see myself tearing anything like this apart just for a hood. What kind of guy would that make me?

It'll take me a day or so but I'll build me a good looking hood using that one as a pattern. Probably take two because I'll have to machine a die and I forget what you call the receiver end of it now, but I'll match it up to David Bradley as close as I can unless one of you can think of a better name brand that I could make a die press set just to set her off.

Now it seems as if none of you are interested in rebuilding this thing, and I am all but certain that I'll never spend the time to rebuild it because I have too many ideas for things that I want to build from scratch with my own name on it.

Hey, I just thought, forget the David Bradley embossing my tractor. I'll pick my own name out for it.

But what I was going to say, is that maybe one of you might know of someone around Danville and Martinsville, Virginia or some tractor club that I could get hooked up on getting it for parts or a rebuild.

Or maybe since no one here want the whole thing one of you might need just a part that I could take off and ship it fairly cheap.

I don't know. I'll try to catch some one up there tomorrow one way or another.

Godspeed

Ranger    

Edited by Ranger2000, September 19, 2014 - 08:58 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#59 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 05:49 PM

. I had never heard of a David Bradley anything until I joined this forum, and then to walk to the woods do some business with nature and bang, there it was just setting there. yea, I'd say surreal would be a good way to describe the feeling.  

Ranger, I just have three words for you. Bolens Huski Gardener. Now, you go on out there and check them woods some more!!! I'll be in Virginia this winter.

Edited by LilysDad, September 19, 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#60 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 11:49 PM

Ranger, I just have three words for you. Bolens Huski Gardener. Now, you go on out there and check them woods some more!!! I'll be in Virginia this winter.

LOL Dad, but I'd bet that me finding any type of tractor, with what ever number of wheels and lugs in the woods will only happen once in this life time. I am still beside myself because it happened this time and especially considering that I had never even heard of the name David Bradley, what, maybe a month ago, six weeks tops?

I had to get Tracy (The guy I was working with) to come in the house when we got home and let me pull this forum up and show him some pictures of some of tractors on here for him to realize that people actually rebuilt tractors like that one and I was on the forum, LOL.

Well, I don't know about that. I'd have bet my life that no one could get struck by lightning twice and live but I have seen in the last few months that several people have been hit even more than twice and still lives. I am going to try and get back out there tomorrow so just maybe I should go back down through those woods.

Godspeed

Ranger

Edited by Ranger2000, September 21, 2014 - 06:48 PM.

• MH81, Alc and LilysDad have said thanks