UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 11:04 AM

If I were to build a tractor, and it is always in my mind to do so, I would find a large hydrostatic transmission. The reason being is that it is a lot easier to push a lever than it is to shift gears 40909098777889998877662 times around obstacles, especially if you have a front end loader.

I have a 10 foot section of rr track that i keep trying to figure out how to make a tractor frame out of,

• CharlesDes and Earnfrop have said thanks

#17 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • Member No: 61505
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 04:14 AM

No JD. I used to drag race and street race too, but that was way back when there were still some safe places where it wasn't like a death sentence just waiting to happen. But still yet, even back then you had plenty of idiots that would race anywhere just because the guy setting in the lane beside him burped the throttle just a bit too much and they'd race where it wasn't even a quarter mile from one stop light to the next. I knew two different people that got themselves killed doing that not a month apart.

Heck, I have been out of it so long I didn't even know they made a 14 bolt rear end. I thought the Chrysler Dana, the Ford 9" and the CM 12 bolt was still the kings in rear ends.

LylysDad, I have never heard of anyone turning an engine on its side. Do you have any links on this??  

I guess that with it having a pressurized oiling system if you could turn it so the oil pick-up tube was at the bottom it might possibly work. That would do away with the gear box completely, huh?

Well, I still have a few weeks before I have to get started building it but I need to as soon as I get finished with the boiler so I can get the firewood up here for it for the winter.

Godspeed

Ranger

#18 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:20 AM

....I am wanting to get a small car rear end and cut it down to the right width and weld it back together and ....

Might I suggest using a Panzer rear axle?  They've already done the work for you.  They took 50's Mopar axle assemblies from salvage yards and narrowed them for use in the Panzers.  Heck, a whole Panzer tube frame wouldn't be a bad starting point for a custom GT.  If I remember correctly, one of our members is in the middle of a custom build where he's using a small four speed in a Panzer as you are proposing to do.

2013-6-8 (2).JPG

• Alc and Ranger2000 have said thanks

#19 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 08:51 AM

Here's something for you all who think that I should just buy a tractor and skip the hassles of trying to build one.

To start with, I guess it would certainly be a lot easier, but I have never been the type of guy that would always take the easy way out of things. A lot of things yes, but still yet, I love a challenge and I love building things and trust me, I am full of off the wall ideas.

While many of them are really way out off the wall ideas, chances are good that if I say I can do something, you can just about bet I can do it.  

And that is especially true if I say that I can do it, or build it and someone else says I can't.

And if I say I can even after they say I can't, you can bet your life on it that I can do it. That is if I stop and think about it whatever time it takes me, and then I say that I can do it again.

I am not trying to brag there. It's just the determination that I have in me.

When I went in the Army, my dad went off and got all mad at me saying I'd never make it through basic training and all kinds of things, but nothing as bad as he was when he found out that I had also went into the 82nd Airborne to boot.

I mean he really went off then, and I'll be truthful with everyone of you here. If he hadn't have told me that I couldn't make it through Jump School, that little 114 lb., 20 YO young and naïve boy that had joined the Army like a fool and an idiot, "Would Not Have Made It Through Jump School" period, and that isn't a lie either. I thought them suckers were going to kill us all but I couldn't give up.

They told us when we first got to Ft. Benning that between 50% and 60% of the class wouldn't make it through the course, but they were wrong there. There were 68 point something or another percent of the class I was in that fell out and it was more than one time that me hearing "You won't never make it threw Jump School" coming from my dad's mouth again kept me from raising my hand.

And I told him that when I got back home and he told me that was the only thing he knew that he could say that would cause me to finish jump school.

He told me that he knew that I was going to make it from the look on my face when he said I wasn't. And that's about the size of it.

OK, with that said, about the house I rented and the boat I ended up in by doing so.

We moved into the house we have now last January 4th, and I was thinking that I was getting a great deal moving here because I am the one that remodeled it and did so to suit myself which also includes what my wife and daughter was looking for.

OK, the rent was $100 a month less, plus it has a well and septic system and the rent man pays the bill for the electric pump and upkeep of course, for the septic, and the water and sewage disposal at the last house we rented was over $70 a month every month and over $150 when I was watering the garden a couple months a year, so all toll, that should have been $170 to $250 a month I'd save, "BUT" the heat is electric (Which was the only thing that I couldn't talk Thomas Lee out of) and January's utility bill alone was $588.40.

We had gas heat in the last house and the bill hardly ever went as high as $300 a month, and most of the time it was closer than $200, so there went all the savings and even at that, I didn't keep the heat on enough for us to really be comfortable.

OK, I started remodeling the house in May of last year so I went through the heat in here and knew that this was a hot house which was going to take some cooling bad but that wasn't a problem. That is where is where my brain went to work and the thinking began, but my ability to think something up is a lot faster than my ability to sp9it it out. 

There is a small creek about 65 yards below the house and there are three springs that feed into it but they have all three been rerouted from natures drive into a, well heck, I think it is a 36" concrete culvert pipe buried in the ground and then the water goes to the creek and joins it.

The last time I checked the water was 57 * (57 degrees) and I am using it to cool the house with.  

Now before anyone says anything at all, this is not the first time that I have done this, but what we have right now is just a jury rigged but if things keep going as well as it has been the last few days, then just maybe I will have a unit set up next summer that will not only cool the house, but will look nice (as in it could have been produced in a factory nice) while it is doing so.

That is just on hold until winter for now.

My boiler is the hot item I am dealing with for right now so as soon as I get back, I'll explain what I am doing to beat the high cost heating bill from last year, just in case anyone might be interested.

I figured that if you all like small tractors as I do, you'd probably enjoy hearing about the boiler to.

And I guess I could tell you all about the water powered air conditioner if anyone seems interested in that to. The tractor is still in it's designing stage, the boiler has been designed and the work on it is probably 50 to 60% complete, but as far as the money end of it, the cost is only at about 10%, so that will become the hold up on it shortly, but as far as the air conditioner goes, this will be the fifth one that I have built and all four that I have completed worked, to a certain degree, and they have gotten better each time, even with the last one, but that one truly looks like a redneck ac, LOL.

Later & Godspeed

Ranger    

#20 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 11:24 AM

If you want to build one then just build it. Don't worry about anyone saying you can or you can't. Just get on with it.

#21 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 02:53 PM

If you're looking for a right-angled gear box on the cheap, check out the local farm machine scrapper.  MANY machines used right angle 1:1 gear sets.  Combines, balers, anything that was pull-type and run off the tractors PTO, will have at least one such gear set.

I like the "I'm going to build it" mentality.  I have a few "it can't be done" creations under my belt.   :thumbs:

Pictures are a must when you get to that point.

• MH81 and Ranger2000 have said thanks

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 04:27 PM

A right angle gearbox from a Simplicity or Allis Chalmers should do the job.  They handle the power fine when taken care of.  If you want really heavy duty, then a gearbox from a small bush hog would work.

Oh, and it can't be done!  There, now ya have to do it!  :smilewink:

• Ranger2000 said thank you

#23 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Countryboy, That certainly sounds like a good idea, if I can fin one. Do you have any idea where I could buy one at for a fair price. I have been looking for a rear end from a small tractor that looked like it might not be the week link in the drive train and so far any that seems build well enough have been high as all get out.

Godspeed

Ranger

You could try Epay but you might have faster luck putting a post in the wanted adds here.  http://gardentractor...forum/87-parts/

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 05:25 AM

What kind of uses are you planning on your tractor ? Things like mowing or ground engaging  attachments for gardening or landscape work ? Will you be thinking of possibly a loader at some point ?   Are you planning on having hydraulics for attachment lifting or maybe things like a log splitter like the Cases can do ?   PTO ?  Keep us  posted .

Edited by Alc, August 20, 2014 - 05:29 AM.

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Just do it !! it takes as much effort to try and fail and it does to try and succeed, either way you learn something from it and apply to the next.

#26 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 24, 2014 - 10:56 PM

Alc, I want to plow a large garden and plan on building about a 6' wide set of disc and a 6' tiller to pull behind it. But what I really want it to be so strong for is hauling trailer loads of firewood out of the woods.

And I started a couple of projects before I fell the last time and one of the was a sawmill that is probably 75% finished that I want to complete as son as I get to it and I want it to be able to haul that into the woods and come back out with it and a load of lumber too.  

There are a few things I'd like to have hydraulics for but I doubt I'll put it on this one, however, if this works out right I have thought about building a small backhoe/loader like they sell plans for.

There are many things I want to build, but for now, it's me racing the clock to see how many I can get done before I am done.

Heck, I still want to build an ultra-light airplane one day. Maybe I will?

Godspeed

Ranger

• Alc said thank you

#27 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Well, I think I have about made up my mind on building the tractor. I remembered where there are several older cars and when I say older, they are probably 40's to early mid 50's that has been setting "AT THE EDGE OF A FIELD" for so long they are now "IN THE EDGE OF THE WOODS", LOL.

It will take a week of cutting trees down and clearing it out before I can even think about getting a roll back to where we could get it loaded.

But the best I can remember right now, there is two early 50's pick up trucks plus 3 or 4 cars so we're talking 15,000 lbs. at least, so that would be over a thousand dollars if I just junked them from the get go, but of course, I want a rear end and tranny, but, heck fire. Wait a minute here.

Since I started writing this reply I got to thinking of the fact that I hadn't been thinking at all.

I need to go down and see exactly what he does have down there and see if I can sell any of the parts on e-bay or where ever. I might have a small gold mine down there. It's my land lord's property they are on and I am sure he'll give them to me to junk if I clean up the area around there good, but if I start parting them out, well I know him, he'll say go ahead and do it but I'll give him half of it anyway if I do hit some good deals.

Well, actually, I need to save all the rear ends, transmissions, steering boxes, front axles, wheels, well heck fire, I need to just go down there and cut all the trees and under brush away and take them apart where they sit, piece by piece.  

Well, this reply didn't go where I thought it would go to, but at least I am 99% sure I have a rear end, transmission, and straight front axle, along with the wheels, Etc. that I'll need for the tractor, and I expect a few more down the road should some one want to buy mine from me for a good profit.  

I need to think about all of this a while.

Anyway, I am sure I have me a rear end, transmission, straight front axle, etc., etc., for free, with some free locust for firewood to boot.  

Godspeed

Ranger

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#28 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 05:46 AM

Sounds like you might have some access to free/cheap parts to get your tractor started !  When I first read your thread I thought you were trying to build a HD GT  but it sound like your making something like my grandfather made , way before I was born , but with more features then his lol  The pictures I saw of his it was a old car looking front with a truck rear and frame cut very short . I'll have to find that picture  

#29 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 07:12 PM

The type of tractor you are describing made out of old car parts are called a "doodlebug" around here.

Edited by jdcrawler, August 26, 2014 - 07:13 PM.

• dave8338 and Ranger2000 have said thanks

#30 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted August 26, 2014 - 09:14 PM

LylysDad, I have never heard of anyone turning an engine on its side. Do you have any links on this??  

Ranger

If you go here on youtube there are a bunch of videos.

https://www.youtube....h?v=2mYDqKUqU1g