• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • Member No: 61505
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hi I am new here. I have had a couple of regular latter model lawn & Garden tractors but they don't seem to want to stay in one piece for me so I have decided to build one from scratch.

I have an 18 HP  B&S twin cylinder commercial engine that has the cast iron cylinder sleeves and pressurized oil system with filter but it is a vertical shaft engine.  

Does anyone know of a 90 degree gear box that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, that could put up with 18 HP. I don't want a gear box that will be the weak link here.

I am wanting to get a small car rear end and cut it down to the right width and weld it back together and use a 4 speed tranny with a granny gear in it, with a double V-Belt & idler pulleys for a clutch system. 

Any ideas on this would be Greatly appreciated!

Godspeed

Ranger

• LilysDad, panzersarebest and CharlesDes have said thanks

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 07:59 AM

Why not save yourself the headaches & buy something from the 60's or 70s, like a Case 446, Allis B112, JD 318, Sears ST16, etc?

P.S. Welcome to the site!

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, August 14, 2014 - 07:59 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 08:04 AM

You could also go with a double U joint solution, if you are adamant about building your own with a gearbox.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 08:10 AM

Welcome to GTT. You are looking at a very ambitious project that can have many unforseen difficulties. I agree with above. You are better off looking at a quality built GT from the 60s or 70s. Like the muscle cars they were built better then. Buying an Allis Chalmers/Simplicity or an old Bolens will have the benefit of many attachments out there. Relax and enjoy the site. Ask questions when you have them.

As far as a bevel gear box is concerned, I would turn the rear axle so that the input shaft points up or down depending on the engine rotation and height of the axle off the ground. Good Luck, Rick

• JDBrian and LilysDad have said thanks

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 01:01 PM

Sounds like you are describing a Power King... for the investment you will have, I would consider just buying:

https://www.google.c...nomy power king

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 01:28 PM

It seems I've read somewhere (here?) that folks take a B&S Vertical and turn it on it, side with a L shaped motor mount.

• Ranger2000 said thank you

#7 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 03:34 PM

Surplus center.com has right angle gear box rated at 32 hp for about $150 the downside is the rpm is 1800 max which is about half of what your engine should be turning.Rexnord makes hydraulic and gear type right angle boxes,but you could buy my power king for what their high quality ,high end products cost.

Bill

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Well Case has already done it? But I thought coupling a Hydraulic motor to the gearbox/transmit ion would give you the advantage of both gear and hydralic drive , Mounting a pump to the motor would eliminate needing a 90 degree gearbox. and you could keep the center of gravity lower. Hydraulic plumbing's not cheap but eliminates a lot of alignment problems.

Building your own machine is a challenging project, but it will take a lot of patience and could possibly cost more than a good older unit that would hold up for you would.
Granted there would be a lot of satisfaction in it.

My wifes uncle built one, using two Dodge Power Wagon transmit ions and a 12 hp wisconsin belt driven and until Gt Pulling became more sophisticated e never lost a pulling event. But he was a guy who would have grinned if a house was falling on him. Never knew a guy with so much patience.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 14, 2014 - 07:27 PM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#9 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:27 AM

OK, let me give yawl a some back ground on myself before we go any further here.  

My mother thought that she was helping me and when I went into the first grade I could already do adding, subtracting, multiplications, and division.

I could already write in, what did they call it back then, ah heck, cursive I think it was. Yea, and I could read and loved to read all the magazines she got me on things like boy scouts, and stuff like that, but all of that, plus when my birthday was screwed me up.  

On top of already knowing what they were going to try to teach me until after the fourth grade, I didn't even get to start school until I was 7 years old.

On top of that, my father worked in Dan River Mills, but he worked the third shift from midnight until 8 AM and he owned a well machine and from the time he found out that I couldn't go to school for another year, he put me to work helping do whatever a shinny little 6 year old boy could do on the well machine, but he paid me 50 cents a day.

Now I'll tell you, the ones that weren't around at that time of life here in the US of A.

For a six year old boy in 1961, fifty cents a day was like a gold mine to me and I am sure there are several others here that can tell about working back in 1960 to 1965 when they were really young chaps.

Anyway, as soon as he came home in the morning and ate breakfast, I had best have the two or three 55 gallon barrels filled with water and any of them with open tops had best have blocks of wood floating on the top of the water so the water wouldn't splash out so bad.

So try to imagine a bored 7 year old, and with all the get up and go I had, multiply that by about ten and you can see the mess I was in.

Without my fathers blessings, and that really made things hard on a young buck, I quit school just as soon as I turned 16, to go to Steele's Welding School,

Daddy told me that I could quit id I wanted to, but he wasn't doing another "danged,,, ??" thing to help me and took my car away from me until I could finish paying for it.

I lied about my age and got a job at the Diston Plant, so now I went to school from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM and the went to work from 3:30 PM to 12 midnight, but I paid the car of with my first check and it's been me ever since.

I have been a welder/fabricator, among many other trades for over for years now and I am just now getting ready to turn 60 years old in December.  

And I have been a foreman at one time or another in most of the trades that I have worked on.

I have built five homes and I designed and drew the prints for three of them from little mixed up drawing the owners had done together. Now you work from a drawing that a husband and wife both were drawing at the same time, LOL.

Any way, that is my history in working, except I left out one big part.

I joined the Army in 1975 and got out in 1978. After that I went to work on the first large construction job I had ever worked on and in August of 78 I fell 48 feet from the cooling tower I was working on and, well let's just say it broke my back and both bones in my right wrist among other injuries and that was the first of several bad falls I have taken, but the Good Lord has always looked after me.

But the last fall, which wasn't but ten feet set me down.

When I asked the doctor the first time I saw him after being released from the hospital, "How long will it be before I can go back to work, he almost laughed in my face and then he told me that I needed to file for disability. 

I told him he didn't know me and he said "No Sir, I don't no you, but I do know the extent of the injuries you have sustained and I am afraid that you'll never walk without some type of assistance and you'll never use you right hand again.

I told him then "You still don't know me" and he didn't, but I do admit that I am not the invincible person I seemed like for many years.

That fall didn't stop me, but it sure as the dickens slowed me down greatly.   

Now that I have wrote that book on myself, it is passed time for me to get to work so I'll post this and come back at break time and get back on the designing of the tractor. Thanks all for your inputs and all and get ready to help me design this thing cause all of you already know a lot more about what parts ETC. are out there that can be bought.  

Now the cheapest that I can find an 18 H.P. horizontal shaft engine is $1,099.00 plus shipping so buying anther engine, probably even a used engine is all but out of the question.

I want to build a tractor that can use ever ounce of power that this 18 H.P. twin cylinder engine will produce and not break any part of as far as that goes, I don't even want to put a large strain on anything else in the tractor.

I'd like the engine to actually be the weakest link in the entire drive train.

And using parts that come from automobiles, I don't think that is something so unrealistic.

Godspeed

Ranger   

• Gtractor, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 05:11 PM

Ranger, thanks for the back story and the service to your country.
As for building yourself, I am usually a fan of reusing the wheel. It's already round and probably doesn't need reinvented... That said, I can recognize the "I'm a gonna do it anyways" tone as I have used it myself.

Given the materials list so far, I would do one of two things.
Really consider the hydraulic option to get that 90degree bend/ power & speed control *or* find a substantial tranny with the input on the top. I would consider twisted belt drive, but you said double belt and that's a tough row to hoe with one belt sometimes, let alone two.
  • trowel said thank you

#11 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 10:37 PM

Rather than cut down a small car rear end what about using a rear end out of a Power king? They are a Dana rear end and have gear reduction as well. Could save you some time and possibly some trouble. 

#12 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 04:54 AM

Countryboy, That certainly sounds like a good idea, if I can fin one. Do you have any idea where I could buy one at for a fair price. I have been looking for a rear end from a small tractor that looked like it might not be the week link in the drive train and so far any that seems build well enough have been high as all get out.

Godspeed

Ranger

#13 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 05:02 AM

MH81, I have thought about using a twisted belt drive and I guess that a single belt might be good enough to get the job done with out being a weak link,

Right now I am still in the planning stages and that's why I came here. So I could get some ideas from men that fool with the old heavy duty tractors to start with.

All of you have to know more than I do. Thanks for the in-put.

Godspeed

Ranger.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 05:14 AM

And MH81, no use in thanking me for the service. I joined after Nam and before anything else got started and went into the 82nd Airborne so I could jump out of  airplanes, LOL. I only lived 138 miles from Ft. Bragg so I came home nearly every weekend. Well, I guess I did if we weren't in the field on maneuvers. In my situation you might have called it a job, LOL. I'd even take 5 days leave, but take off for home Friday at 5 pm and then be back Monday morning before first formation to sign out on leave, get back to Bragg shortly after midnight on Friday nights and sign back in and hall butt again until the Monday morning 5 am formation.

That way I got 9 days off for 5 days leave time, LOL.  

Godspeed

Ranger

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 10:26 AM

Do you know any racers? They are very resourceful and very often know where there are already differentials that are already narrowed and beefed up. The 4 wheel crowd is often a good source. I know my nephew has a 14 bolt and a 12 bolt GM truck differential hid away in his garage to use as spares in his rock crawler. those and the 9 inch Fords are common fare with the gear heads in this area.
Not too mention the drag racing crowd is using a lot of narrowed Mopar diifferentials in dragsters.
Another thought is the Dwarf Car guys use narrowed Toyota and Nissan difs.
Since all of those guys are using a lot more power and throttle on and off is much more violent torque application and big tires, and are putting a lot more strain on the dif. it should be bulletproof it a GT. Seems too me there are a couple companies usinng the GM in commercial tractors with hydralic drive.
Terra-Mite and Waldon if you want to look them up.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 16, 2014 - 10:56 AM.