daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Good luck with the repair.  If you get a portable hard drive, you can store all your photographs there.

I've always bought HP and have been happy with it.  Windows 8 was interesting to learn.  8.1 was better and I'm used to it now.

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 09:34 AM

I do have AVG as a protection plan...And when they sent me a free tuneup for my putter,,things started to slow down...I'm in the middle of looking into that now..the AVG seems to want to update all the time,and when it gets to 50% it stops..It takes hours to finish and its like i'm running two programs at once That is why I think it is so slow...

Your are probably right. The AVG has a program that sit's in memory when you boot to check for updates.  The older versions of windows do not manage memory very well and depending on how much memory is available on you old computer probably means that the computer is swapping back and forth between the swap file on the Hdd and memory.  This procedure will slow a computer to a crawl.  The only way to cure it is either more memory (which there is a limit as to how much you can install) or reduce the size of the resident programs in memory.

The fact that XP is no longer being supported with security updates, the computer is 10 years old and you are limited on the thing you can do to up grade it.  I think your are right in replacing it.  

One thing that really doesn't get mentioned very often but plays a big role in your enjoyment with the PC and contributes to it's speed it the Video card.  I personally prefer the PCI express cards verses and on board card.  The main reason is because I can replace it if I don't like it or it goes out.  Also On board card tend to share the computer memory where a card has it's own which helps with speed.  With a good video card your images will be sharper and clearer, you will be able to look at the screen longer and your eyes won't get as tried.  Just food for thought.

• MH81 and Cat385B have said thanks

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the replys... I looked into repairing my putter.. not a big deal.. but it is 10 yrs old and only 38 gb hard drive.. I think before spending any money into it,,I might as well get into the 21 century..

I do have AVG as a protection plan...And when they sent me a free tuneup for my putter,,things started to slow down...I'm in the middle of looking into that now..the AVG seems to want to update all the time,and when it gets to 50% it stops..It takes hours to finish and its like i'm running two programs at once That is why I think it is so slow...

Try the free version of Panda. I am using that on 3 rigs now and like it.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#19 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,307 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 11:57 AM

I have a Hewlitt 500, it's somewhere back at the factory after frying a motherboard after 8 months in service. Not recommended by me if you're asking.

I like Windows 8, I just don't use IE.

WHAT!?!?  Like windows 8?!?!?!

I'll take 7 all day and twice on Sunday TYVM!!  JMO you Feline critter!

As far as the AVG software..  The A/V programs are a big user of computer resources and a prime cause of trouble!  BUUUUt you can't live without the darn stuff..  I've had good luck with HP machines.  The first thing I do is uninstall all of the 'Bloat-ware' that HP packages along with the machine.  Then they run great!   Wndows 8   :(  :(  :(

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, August 14, 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 04:53 PM

WHAT!?!?  Like windows 8?!?!?!

I'll take 7 all day and twice on Sunday TYVM!!  JMO you Feline critter!

As far as the AVG software..  The A/V programs are a big user of computer resources and a prime cause of trouble!  BUUUUt you can't live without the darn stuff..  I've had good luck with HP machines.  The first thing I do is uninstall all of the 'Bloat-ware' that HP packages along with the machine.  Then they run great!   Wndows 8   :(  :(  :(

Win 8.1 is better from what I've seen. Just my $0.02

#21 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 05:53 PM

My last laptop was a dell latitude e6400 running win 7 pro. I got it used for 300.00, with a bad screen. Transferred the warranty through Dell, and had the screen repaired.

Installed a 1Tb Seagate SSHD (hybrid) and 8 gigs of ram. Was a nice fast machine capable of anything I needed. Too bad it was stolen.

replaced it with a used  Inspiron with roughly the same processor, and its not the same machine at all. The whole thing just feels cheap in comparison.

I build all my own desktops, my laptops I have to buy.

My last desktop built from scratch with a quad core processor 2 gig vid card, 2 x 1Tb hdd, and 12 gig of ram with an Asus board cost just over 700 including win 7 64bit. I already had a keyboard mouse and case, but had to get a bigger power supply.

#22 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 02:24 AM

I dropped AVG for the same reason.  When I first started using it probably 10 years ago it ran quickly and seldom.  In the end often and for a long time.  Even when not updating it really slowed things down.  Switched to MSE a little over a year ago and haven't looked back.

• Trav1s said thank you

#23 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 09:49 PM

I am with HDwildBill

I only buy old pcs - I am using a HP xw4600 workstation

old CADD pc from the state

with a intel dual core 3.0 ghz cpu

4 gig of memory, 500 gb harddrive and DVD-r

for $50

put Linux Mint Debian Edition on it ( free download and burned to dvd)

I can do just about anything I need with it

do not need any anti-virus, spy-ware, etc programs to slow it down

there has only been under 10 anti-virus that affected Linux (Unix) pcs

and they fixed the holes years ago

When I retired last year as a computer tech I told them if you call me my rate is $500 an hour and 4 hour minimum 

they asked why and I told them that they brought a money pit (wind$ws) and you have to pay

Edited by lyall, August 15, 2014 - 09:50 PM.

#24 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 10:38 AM

I pulled the trigger and bought a Dell Inspiron 3000...   Intel  I 5

1 tera.

8 gig

Very fast,,  Win. 8.1  ( which is a whole new experince )  But i'm learning.

Thanks for all the help...!!!                            sodi

P S---  $ 499.00

• sacsr said thank you