I Need A New Puter...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 12:41 PM

I'm in the market for a new computer.. I'm leaning towards,,  Dell   and  HP..

With out getting into the so many details about each,, I'll be brief ...

Dell--- Inspiration  3000.. 4th gen  I5,,, 8 Gig     1tera bt           thru Dell        $ 499.99   free ship

HP---500Qe                 4th gen       I5,,,, 8 Gig     1tera bt          Several places--- 499.00--579.99

The HP has more expadability  where the Dell is non-expandable... to add more ram and Gig..

Any thoughts or other suggestions  as to other putters..???  

I only use a putter to brouse internet,,E-Mail,,down-load a few Apps.,,, and files,,,and lots of pictures..  O and to hang out here of course..

It's just for home use,,The wife plays a few simple games now an then

I have high speed internet... Ethernet,,  and wi-fi

I'm still on windows  XP and a Dell  Dimention...   With 38 GB    It's about 10 yrs. old , and I still have  11%  free space.....But it seems to be slowing down more and more and I think a fan went out on it now...

So feel free to chime in on your'e favs and recomondations...        Thanks      sodi,,,

#2 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 12:56 PM

I think you will wind up with Windows 8 on either one of those computers.I tried it on my wife's computer and did not like it but I might have grown to like it if I used it regularly but I ended up buying a computer with Windows 7 as I was more familiar with it.You might want to play with 8 before you commit to it.

• sodisr said thank you

#3 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 01:30 PM

I'd take the Dell over the HP on any day.  I've never had any luck with HP products, other than the printers.

• sodisr said thank you

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Got any more specs on the Dell?  I find it hard to believe that you cannot add more memory...

#5 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 01:55 PM

I have used H P years and just bought a new one in April and am just now getting used to 8

• sodisr said thank you

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 02:38 PM

I have been told by a couple of computer geeks that once you reach 50% it will start slowing down.  I bought a new one about a year ago and had to search pretty hard then to keep Windows 7, the wife won a laptop a few months ago with Windows 8 and I still have trouble turning the thing on.

I also Dell over HP but went with an off brand one through Wal-Mart last time.  Gave the wife the keyboard and mouse but like the tower.

• sodisr said thank you

#7 smokestack76 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39328
  • 83 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 02:52 PM

Windows 8 is the devil! And any PC that has windows on it! Once a year format it and reinstall winders. It slows down so much over time its not funny. I hate windows all together but have to fix all the issues 😈

Sent via morse code from my front porch light
  • sodisr said thank you

#8 smokestack76 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39328
  • 83 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 02:54 PM

So since thats all you use your PC for. Format and reinstall the OS. Trust me. It will work so much faster

Sent via morse code from my front porch light

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 03:17 PM

I think everyone knows I'm not a fan of M$ or Windows so I won't go into all that.  But when I need a new computer I will write down what I'm looking for in the computer like processor, memory, video card, HDD space etc.  Then I will look on the internet and see what is available.  I check just about all the normal sites like Office depot, Best buy etc but I also check sites like newegg and tiger.  When I find some candidates I start looking at price expandability and shipping if applicable.  I also look at the refurbished models as well.  I picked up an ASUS a few years ago for the wife and it has performed fantastically.  It came with Window's 7 and of course I have to do maintenance on it every so often.  I guess since I have been in IT for so long it doesn't bother me to use one of the lesser known brands.  Some argue that ASUS isn't a good computer but here is some food for thought.  There is a very good chance that the mother board in your HP, Dell, Acer was made by ASUS.  ASUS has been a very big name in motherboards since I started dealing with computers.

From your description it sounds like your old computer can be fixed up pretty easy.  Replacing a fan is not hard and there are a lot of programs out there to clean windows up.  The one sure way to restore the speed it once had is to save your data (Pictures) off to something else and reformat the Hdd and then reinstall windows XP.  Trouble is it literally take a couple of days to do all the updates mainly because windows wants to reboot every 10 minutes.  The other alternative is to install Linux on it and not have to worry about it.

• sacsr, Trav1s and sodisr have said thanks

#10 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,262 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 05:50 PM

Linda won a Dell laptop w/ win 8 and gave it to me for Christmas. I didn't like it at first but it's slowly growing on me. I downloaded 8.1 and it is similar to win 7.

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,342 Thanks
  • 8,689 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 06:20 PM

I have a Hewlitt 500, it's somewhere back at the factory after frying a motherboard after 8 months in service. Not recommended by me if you're asking.

I like Windows 8, I just don't use IE.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Still using my APPLE 2E with D.O.S.!..................Not!

#13 DennyIN OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 07:46 PM

http://3btech.net/ might be worth a look

#14 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,696 Thanks
  • 28,342 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 09:52 PM

The last time I bought a new computer at home was <10 years ago. It is an HP and has been exceptionally reliable.
I would advise that you look at the "pro" or business version of the OS. They load much less crap ware on the business units.

The last three computers for the house have been either newegg or tigerdirect. The values are there if you look. I would advise against off lease stuff tho.

Ryan bought a unit from NEw egg. It has Win 8.1 and he is very happy with it. It is nothing at all like XP, I sometimes have to use his for things (expedience) and once in a while I have to ask him how to do something.
  • sodisr said thank you

#15 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for all the replys... I looked into repairing my putter.. not a big deal.. but it is 10 yrs old and only 38 gb hard drive.. I think before spending any money into it,,I might as well get into the 21 century..

I do have AVG as a protection plan...And when they sent me a free tuneup for my putter,,things started to slow down...I'm in the middle of looking into that now..the AVG seems to want to update all the time,and when it gets to 50% it stops..It takes hours to finish and its like i'm running two programs at once That is why I think it is so slow...