4 replies to this topic

#1 Skooch OFFLINE  

Skooch
  • Member No: 61437
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

I have a 1970 (ish) Jacobsen 1450 Super Chief that's been in the family since it was new. Other than the usual maintenance and issues, it's been great. But I'm having a problem with the electric clutch. It started making a slight metal-on-metal grinding noise (at the clutch) only when I engage the mower deck. It was ok for a few mowing trips, but this morning it threw a belt (perhaps unrelated to my clutch concerns, as the belt was getting old) which got cut upon it way to tractor parts heaven. I have a spare, and I installed once I got the pieces of the old one out from between the clutch pulley and the engine pulley. Anyway, I started it up and engaged the deck and everything sort of seems to be ok, but I seriously question whether the clutch/pulley/PTO assembly is as it should be. The noise isn't normal or familiar. With the mower deck belt off the PTO clutch pulley altogether, I can turn the PTO pulley independent of the main pulley (which I assume is correct as in this case/test the PTO clutch is not engaged via the toggle switch). But when I do that (rotate the clutch pulley) it sounds very dry and perhaps the source of the slight grind.

So on to my question (finally!!) :) . I'm trying to remove the electric clutch assembly from the motor for an inspection just to make sure there's no metal or "badness" underneath, but I can't figure out how to pull the clutch assembly off of the main shaft. I have already removed the 5/16th bolt, but thats as far as I feel comfortable going without being sure that I'm not going to break something. I've read that there are "special tools" (I have lot of different pullers and the original Jake owners manual, pictured, but no instructions as to dis-assembly steps/tools) but I have no confidence in starting to just "pull on stuff" without knowing the right way to go about it. I also don't know if turning the clutch pulley by hand should feel so "dry" and loose (like it does now), or if it should have more of a "bearing" feel to it (if you know what I mean).

I've attached pictures that I hope give you and idea of what I'm trying to remove, and I thank you all for taking a look and offering suggestions.

Thanks for reading, and for any help you can provide!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140812_131142.jpg
  • IMG_20140812_131152.jpg
  • IMG_20140812_131202.jpg
  • IMG_20140812_131242.jpg
  • IMG_20140812_141553.jpg

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 06:47 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum!

Without going out and looking mine over, I am unsure how you would pull it off there. It does sound like you have a bad bearing in there, though. Maybe someone can shed some light on this for us.

EDIT: I went out and looked at the clutch on mine. It looks like you will need to get a puller hooked to the pulley just outside of part #18 in your parts pic above. Not sure if #18 will come off without taking the clutch off.

#3 yousesteers OFFLINE  

yousesteers
  • Member No: 43831
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Just for anyone checking this out the center of the clutch is threaded and you can thread a very large bolt into it to pull that electric clutch did this today as the bearing went out of my 114 moline
  • KennyP and Rock farmer have said thanks

#4 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,299 Thanks
  • 1,097 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 07:15 PM

Can't remember if there are set screws on the pulleys or not as it's been over a year since pulling one, but, remove the center bolt, remove set screws (if any), and a normal 3 jaw puller will do the job just fine. If it looks rusty, spray it once a day on the inside of the bore, and backside once a day for a week before trying to pull it. DO NOT SPRAY THE COIL!!! Be easy on it, and it will come off no problem. Be sure to pay attention to not ruin the wires as your pulling it off too. These things when available go for about a buck N a quarter on FeeBay. Good luck!:)

As to your problem, sounds to be a bearing that's going to PTO heaven.
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,299 Thanks
  • 1,097 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 11:16 AM

Also, the guard that runs around the PTO maybe loose? If it is, check to make sure non of the bolts holding the guard on are loose. On some (or all) models there is one (or more ) bolts behind the pulley, and if they get loose, and back out, the bolt head will grind on the pulley and give you the same results!!! My Chief 800 did it. Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0063.jpg

Edited by stiemmy, May 28, 2015 - 11:27 AM.