• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 861 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 06:53 AM

I got my first snowmobile after a friend showed up one week end with his in 1971. It was a Mercury Rocket with a Canadian Curtis Wright 25 HP 340 engine. I still own it today, has been a good sled to learn on and use for things sleds I bought later didn't do so well. Early in the 1972 season I got a New Artic Cat Puma a 440 cc sled. thing about killed me several times and I just hated the cleated track and the dealer support in the area.  

1974 I bought a Mercury again a Snow Twister with the 400D Kohler engine. I won a lot of races with it< I liked the cross country ones best and drag racing second even on grass. I still own that one too.  In 1979 I bought a Polaris 340 TX like my brothers 78 TX. Rode it for 2 seasons but ran into a guy who had a 1980 Indy the first year. I just had to have one so I ordered a 1981 model they were 340 cc sleds then. Loved it and rode the snot out of it I still own it and it has 13,000 plus miles on it. Loved the liquid cooling. Bought a 1999 Polaris super sport. A good sled but I missed the liquid cooling that kept the running board clear and my feet warm. I sold it and decided I wanted a sled more for my older age. I had bought Kare a 2000 Polaris 500 classic with electric start, reverse and mirrors. I found a end of the year 2001 Polaris 500 classic for a good price and is what I ride now. Of course we don't ride like we used to due to the cost of fuel.

These pictures was from my brother, and my March 1978 vacation to the UP to ride. We took our little cousin Norm along with a 300 ski doo olmopyic. He sure worked at keeping up to our High performance sleds with slide rail supentction to his bogie wheel units.

Taking a break near Trout lake. No groomed trails there back then. 

scan0006.jpg

Lunch on the trail to Nubinway. We heated stuff on the exhaust pipes and on the engine heads as we rode.

scan0004.jpg

Dying on the trail to Pine Stump Junction from to many cool ones the night before. A not so usual day or night before for that matter.

scan0007-1.jpg

:D  Al

Edited by alleyyooper, August 13, 2014 - 07:04 AM.

• Alc, hamman and panzersarebest have said thanks

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 05:21 PM

I like it, good times!!!!!!!!!!  I just went to a vintage sled swap meet and show with a friend a few weeks ago, just north of rome ny, I cant remember the name of the town.  Picked myself up a 1972 john deer trailfire. going to have some fun on it this winter.

#3 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 861 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 06:03 AM

Are you sure the trail fire you got is a 1972? Snow goer mag says it was introduced in 1976.

http://www.snowgoer....trailfire/0904/

Is it the 340 or the 440?  A trail fire 440LX set a fuel economy record of 33 plus miles per gallon in 1982.

:D    Al

#4 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Those pictures sure bring back the memories of when I rode. I had a 2000 Skidoo MXZ 700. We had a lot of fun out on the trails. Bad part was we don't get enough snow to do much running locally. Most of our riding was out of state.