Garden Tractor Forums banner

My First Tractor '74 Lgt 145

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  FixItCharlie 
#1 ·
Hello all!

Im new to the forum, and I just picked up my first tractor. Its a 74 LGT 145, thats a little rough around the edges. Picked it up with a 42" mower and a 4' plow. From what I can tell everything is working (except lights). When I picked it up it did not run. New plug, some electrical repair and a ignition coil, cleaned and gapped the points properly, and I was back in business! She smokes lightly, but the seller included a full rebuild kit with it, that I plan on taking on this spring between plowing season.

It was missing the mule drive to run the mower, but one is en route as we speak! I am however having a issue. When I picked it up, it had lots of stuff undone (electrical, throttle, etc...) Since then I have fixed many of these things, except the throttle. I cannot for the life of me figure out whats going on (I feel I may be missing some parts...)

Could someone share a picture of the carb/throttle assembly? I have the linkage from the lever at the controls, and an arm off the carb. That is it. No springs, no way to hook the throttle linkage to the arm, nothing. Im sure I could rig this right and have it going in no time if I could just get a picture.

Also I have a question about a governor on this machine. I can work the throttle right off the carb as of now, but I can rev the motor seemingly untill it blows. Is my missing throttle gear also part of a missing gov.?

On to some pics... I picked this up for under $500 on craigslist, and think I got a decent deal.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Blue
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Steering part
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Hood Tread
Gas Font Bottle Electric blue Circle

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
:wave: Welcome to the forum! Great looking open side! Hopefully, some of the folks with one like this can respond. Have you checked the manuals/parts listing to see what is missing?

Reactions: redbolt04
#5 ·
The throttle hooks up to the governor down under the carb. Only the link from the top of governor arm to carb is to be on that ass'y.
There needs to be a second bell crank that hooks to the main governor arm with a spring. This is how the throttle gets overridden when governed speed is reached.

#6 ·
Looks brand new. Great find. You will have fun with it. I don't have a picture, but my lgt 100 uses a rod not a cable to operate the throttle. Not sure about yours. Noel

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I too have a rod type linkage, but there appears to be no presance of a gov. on my K321AS block.

I attached a picture of what Im working with. The throttle rod linkage is laying just below the ignition coil. Hidden by a clip dangling on the wire from the points to the coil is an open screw hole with very clean threads. Not sure what was here (maybe part of the gov assy?).

I tried digging through some shop manuals I found on the kholer site, but they dont have much for imagery on a complete carb and gov. setup to show me what Im missing.

Motor vehicle Gas Nut Automotive exterior Auto part

Thank you all for the welcome, I look forward to growing my addiction and learning on this forum! I cant wait to get this machine up and mowing soon!

Attachments

#8 ·
The throttle hooks up to the governor down under the carb. Only the link from the top of governor arm to carb is to be on that ass'y.
There needs to be a second bell crank that hooks to the main governor arm with a spring. This is how the throttle gets overridden when governed speed is reached.
Like skyrydr2 said--and looking at your last picture your bell crank is missing,it should be bolted in the bolt hole you mentioned-the gov to carb linkage looks fine.

Your gov is not missing,its there.Ya just gotta find the right bell crank and spring and your back on the road.

You got a nice looking Ford.thanks for showing it.

#10 ·
You sure picked a nice tractor as your first!

I have a K321 in a JD314. Take a look at the pictures in the first post at this link. There is a top view of the carb and a side view of the linkage to the governor. I know it's not the same tractor but it may give you some help. Also there is a procedure in the K series service manual for adjusting the governor linkage that may help once you get it all connected again.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/6516-the-engine-is-back-in-the-314-and-running/?hl=%2Boily+%2Bmess#entry74975

#11 ·
What are the full engine numbers (spec, serial)? We may get to it that way.

#12 ·
Welcome to GTT. You have a great tractor there. I paid $350 for mine last year but mine doesn't run and is very rusted. I'd say you got a great deal. Check our Manuals Section, 3 free downloads per day.

Instead of an engine job, get it runing the best you can and then add Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) to the gas. One tablespoon per gallon of gas will remove carbon from the combustion chamber, valves and piston. I've found that it frees up the rings and stops many engines from smoking. Good Luck, Rick

#14 ·
Howdy amd welcome to gttalk! great bunch of folks here with the same passion/addiction for old iron.

I have 2 tractors with a series K Kohler 14hp. motor, one with a fuel pump and 1 without. I took some pics this morning of the one without a fuel pump for ya. It looks to be set up just like yours is. Hope this helps.

What ever parts you are missing, we have several site sponsers here at gttalk that can help you with all the parts you need.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering part Steering wheel Automotive exterior
Wood Gas Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part
Wood Bumper Gas Motor vehicle Tool
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Nut

have a great day and as always, happy tractoring!

Attachments

#16 ·
One thing I see that is different on a Fords then the one pictured is the connection to the throttle lever. On a Ford it is a thicker rod like this.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fender Gas Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

If you are missing this rod I may have a spare one. What type of choke linkage is this tractor using, one that pulls out to apply the choke or a knob that is turned to apply the choke. On my 1975 LGT 145 it looks like the choke was changed to the pull out type. The operators manual has a special note attach for operation of the pull out choke.

Good Luck

Charlie

Attachments

#17 ·
K312AS

60191D

serial

Looks like I need the arms and the upper spring shown in the pics Delmar posted. Im searching for part #'s now but if anyone has them, I would greatly appreciate the help finding them.

Thank you all again for the help!
Try these folks!

#18 ·
Cleaned up the mower deck a little.

Hit it pretty good with a wire brush, lightly sanded with heavy grit then hit it with Herculiner.

I work at a place that uses tons of dry film silicon mold release and I have seen how great that works. I put a light coat on to aid in grass release from the bed liner.

Blades come in this week! Just need to get this throttle situation figured out so I can mow with it!

Wood Art Grass Trunk Artifact
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Bumper Vehicle

Attachments

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
One thing I see that is different on a Fords then the one pictured is the connection to the throttle lever. On a Ford it is a thicker rod like this.

attachicon.gif
Throttle Linkage 4.jpg

attachicon.gif
Throttle Linkage 1.jpg

If you are missing this rod I may have a spare one. What type of choke linkage is this tractor using, one that pulls out to apply the choke or a knob that is turned to apply the choke. On my 1975 LGT 145 it looks like the choke was changed to the pull out type. The operators manual has a special note attach for operation of the pull out choke.

Good Luck

Charlie
I need those exact pieces!! I have the throttle rod there, just missing the little linkage part and the spring on it. I do have the spring that goes between the throttle and the linkage however. I too have the pull out choke.

I am trying to figure out which numbers the parts are that I need from the link KennyP provided. The drawings are a bit small. I see it all looks to be image Q.

Thanks for the info guys!

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was just trying to give you an option for parts needed. Yes, that is hard to understand, but those were all the different options available. So when someone asks for specifics on their tractor, this is what we have to go through to help you out.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.