Found An Allis 608

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cpg OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Picked up an Allis Chalmers 608 LTD today. Sat outside so its a little rough but I couldn't pass up an opportunity at an Allis. Had no battery so I spun it over with a set of jumper cables off my truck when I got it home; good compression and starter spins it good but no spark. It is a 1980 model so the Briggs engine still has points. Decided that rather than tracking down a set of points and trying to get the flywheel off I would just update and ordered a Mega-fire module that converts from points to electronic igintion. That will be here later this week and hopefully that will work so in the mean time I plan to clean up the carb, new spark plug, and fix one rear tire that has a broken valve stem. I will post updates as I get it running; hopefully I will get it torn down and repainted but I have a few other projects already started that will come first so for now just get it running and driving.

2014-08-11 13.36.26.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 05:43 AM

Looks to be in fair shape. Looks a lot like my Simplicity 6517 style wise.

:D   Al

#3 cpg OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted August 16, 2014 - 11:13 PM

Well, the parts arrived today and now it runs great! Took the deck off as the spindles/bearings need some work and it will probably just go to some shows for now as I have a mower. If anyone is considering going with an electronic module I would highly recommend it. I used a Stens Mega-fire module which cost me $16 on ebay and only took a few minutes to wire on; much cheaper, faster, and easier than getting new points and condenser and pulling the flywheel to replace them. Just plugged it in and had a nice hot spark. Drove it around the yard and it did great; just have to get the valve stem on the rear tire fixed.

2014-08-16 15.05.32.jpg

• olcowhand said thank you

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 05:21 AM

Looks good. Glad your repairs were easy.