• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • Member No: 59357
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:01 PM

does anyone run amsoil in there tractors??? i am heavily on the line into crossing over to being a amsoil believer and going to run it in everything i own...... and trust me i have read every single report and post i can find on it for months now trying to find something more about it all i want is cooler systems heat is the death to most small engines i live in the south so its alot hotter here than up north where i see most bolens owners are living so i dont know what to expect on answers

• tinbender7, Bill 76, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:10 PM

I don't run it in any of my stuff, never saw the need to put something other than oil in the engine. I can also assure you that in southern Iowa, it get pretty darn hot. especially  when we don't get any rain for a month or two.

• Cvans, Bill 76, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#3 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:21 PM

My uncle runs the amsoil syn in his 2012 ford superduty powerstroke and only changes oil every 10000 mi.He speaks very highly of it.He also ran it in his gas truck that he had previously at same mileage.

• Cvans, MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,305 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:37 PM

If you want cooler engines get a liquid cooled.  (**or move to Canada!)  

I use the 50-50 mix in my snowmobile.  Winds it up pretty good too.  As far as keeping the engine cool keep the fans and screens and air passageways clean..  

That's all I got to say about that.  (**Forrest Gump-ism)

• Cvans and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:38 PM

First, if your using Amsoil and are happy with it then I wouldn't change to something else!!!!

My Son came around here spouting about the wonders of Amsoil and tried to convince me that it was worth the extra cost. I wasn't real informed about it so I just told him that in close to 50 years years of driving air and water cooled vehicles I had never had an engine failure due to a lubrication problem so I will probably stick with my Valvoline. 

After about a year he switched back to regular brands and I haven't heard anymore about Amsoil. That's my take on the subject. 

An oil cooler will due far more for reducing heat than any oil.

Edited by Cvans, August 11, 2014 - 02:39 PM.

• Delmar, trowel, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:49 PM

Only one engine in the family uses syn oil and thats my sons Madza,Every thing else from the 76 k5 to my wifes 2010 car and all my other engines get regular motor oil except the race car which uses a high zinc content oil.

Syn oil is supposed to be good stuff but my engines seem happy  with regular oil.

• Cvans, sodisr and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 04:04 PM

Amsoil may be a great product today, but years ago my local small engine guy recommended Amsoil 2 cycle oil.  I had a nice McCulloch weedeater that ran like new & never gave the 1st sign of trouble.  I used his Amsoil, and in less than 1/2 a tank of fuel mix, my faithful weedeater locked up solid.  Never again I said.

• EricFromPa, Cvans and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#8 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 04:46 PM

I have used Amsoil (Seadoo), Royal Purple (Supercharged Camaro), Mobile (TransAm, GMC Acadia, GMC Canyon), Valvoline (Chevrolet Equinox, Cub Cadets, various other equipment), I have even used Honda branded oil (Supercharged Camaro). The later of which a friend of mine SWORE by. He was convinced that Honda oil was one step below holy water and ran it in his motorcycles (super bike series racers), his recreational bikes, ATV's, and even his S10 and Honda Accord. He convinced me into running it in my car after having the motor built and finishing my supercharger (93 Supercharged Camaro). I noticed that the oil stayed clean, but then realized it didn't have the same detergents as others.. plus it made all other oil seem inexpensive lol. 

I can't say much about Amsoil - as I never had any luck keeping the Seadoo running long term. It suffered some type of electrical issues and I sold it before I ripped all of my hair out. I did run it my Honda Rancher, but only because I still had some left over. I have since switched back to the Honda lube... because I didn't think I should mess with a good thing lol. 

My grandfather always ran Quaker State and added Marvel Mystery Oil to everything from the old Ford Tractors 8N 9N, to the Farmall C, International Farmall 504 RC, The Bolens HT20, 900, 850, 1050, 1475?, 1886, and even the 500cu in. Cadillac Big Block that powered the saw mill.. along with all of his personal vehicles. Ironically the garage is still filled with the old style Quaker state cans, and even cans of marvel mystery oil - so I know he must have really bought into the two products to be stock up so heavily that he never ran out. I continue to run it in the HT20 as well - and it still seems to run fine (little bit of smoke), but that is expected for anything with so much use. 

Good luck on whatever you decided. I know a friend of mine ran a few different oils in his built up Subaru wrx and sent a vial of oil from each brand after 3000 miles or use to a company that does a diagnosis of the oil. I know the results for the Royal Purple came back very poorly and actually showed that it had scorched with signs of metal flake in it. I do not know the other two oils or their results, but believe one was Amsoil. I will message him to get more details...

• Alc, Cvans and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 07:39 PM

These old engines were designed to run on Dino oil (non synthetic, no miracle additives ect.)

They were meant to run on regular oil and I see no reason or need to switch after 40+ years of service........

my 0.02 .....

• Texas Deere and Horse, trowel, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 07:53 PM

These old engines were designed to run on Dino oil (non synthetic, no miracle additives ect.)

They were meant to run on regular oil and I see no reason or need to switch after 40+ years of service........

my 0.02 .....

And the gas hence all the new problems with the ethanol additive, why change something that has worked for 50 years.

• Bolens 1000, Cvans, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 03:13 AM

I ran AMSoil 15W40 in all the air and liquid cooled gas and diesel powered engines (except 2 cycle engines which got the 50 to 1 AMSoil Interceptor 2 cycle oil mixed at 50 to 1 with an oil dye to differentiate between mixed and straight gas) on a three different golf courses for over 10 years with no lubrication related engine failures; except when the wrong fuel or fuel mixture was accidentally used..  Many of the engines had well over 5000 hours.  The engine maintenance schedules were strictly followed.

• Alc, Cvans and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#12 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,453 Thanks
  • 3,362 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 06:33 AM

At 3600 rpm, any quality oil is ok, however a good synthetic will double the oil life and give better protection at high temps than dino oil. Virtually every service dept now uses at least a synthetic blend, which by the way, provides 90% of the synthetic protection at half the cost.

Edited by toppop52, August 13, 2014 - 06:33 AM.

• Cvans and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 10:22 AM

We had an oil change place here in town for years.  The guy who owned it decided to retire and sold it to this young guy.  I went in one day to get the oil changed and he was promoting Amsoil and 10K oil changes.  I guess he was successful in promoting it because the next time I came in he was sitting around with no work.  This is a small town and for most it take quite a bit of time to get 10K on a vehicle.  Shortly there after he closed up shop.  I was sorry to see that shop close up.  You could get your oil changed, all your fluids , and tire pressures check at a fair price, especially when the older guy ran it.

I did run Amsoil in the car for a couple of oil changes and I didn't have any problems. but I'm just not sold that it is any better then other more popular brands. 

• Cvans, MyBolens1053 and toppop52 have said thanks

#14 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 01:07 PM

No one brought up the case of oil leakage...  If your'e tractor leaks a little,,   The synthetics are much thinner... like 0--20,,,,10--30,, and so on..   I run  20--50  Royal purple in my  400 HP classic...  I have no problems thou...My tractors get strait 30 wt dino oil...

• Cvans, MyBolens1053 and toppop52 have said thanks

#15 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,453 Thanks
  • 3,362 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 06:20 AM

No one brought up the case of oil leakage...  If your'e tractor leaks a little,,   The synthetics are much thinner... like 0--20,,,,10--30,, and so on..   I run  20--50  Royal purple in my  400 HP classic...  I have no problems thou...My tractors get strait 30 wt dino oil...

I use to run 20/50 myself in my older cars, but all of them have now been either rebuilt with modern internals and tolerances or converted to modern EFI/overdrive combos. So now it's 10/30 synthetic blend in all of them unless I'm breaking in a flat tappet motor. Using modern oils and modern bearings allows you to run a tighter clearance than the older stuff did, so the real high viscosity isn't needed any more. However, the flat tappet motors still need the zinc.

• GTTinkerer, HDWildBill, sodisr and 1 other said thanks