10 replies to this topic

#1 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 45801
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 09:28 AM

While changing the throttle cable I noticed the gear on the steering shaft was missing some of the teeth. I would appreciate a heads-up on removing this gear/shaft as well as the other gear it meshes with. As always, any help is appreciated.    Huey

#2 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 03:52 PM

I thought that gear on the steering shaft was welded on. If so you'd have to grind that weld off to remove it.

• Huey said thank you

#3 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:09 PM

This one was bolted on. After soaking a few days with acetone/ATF, the nut came off using a long breaker bar. Ended up hacksawing the shaft under the steering wheel and hammering the shaft out of the steering wheel hub. Saved the steering wheel and can weld the shaft together after fixing the gear. My problem now is getting the shaft to come out  of the tractor. It hits a cross-member. Do I Have to completely remove the cross-member, or is there an easier way? Also, has anyone tried putting an automotive type steering box on their tractor? 

#4 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 06:53 PM

The steering shaft gear should be welded on but why cut the steering shaft? With gear off should pull up out of the tractor. Not knowing serial number some have retainer clip above the support. if the shaft had bolt someone reworked it all I've seen were welded only sector gear bolted on.

• Huey said thank you

#5 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 07:32 PM

The model and serial are Case 444-76,Serial#9726351. I cut the shaft to get the wheel off. I tried soaking the wheel/shaft coupling and putting a lot of pressure with a puller, used a hammer, but figured a wheel would cost a lot more than a couple of welding rods. I've got a welder. I used a hammer, a piece of pipe under the coupling and pounded on the shaft until it came out. Wheel is reusable. I'm thinking about putting a pin through the wheel and shaft. 

#6 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 08:33 PM

Here is the shaft I bought to replace the one on my 444. http://www.casegarde...stshrpinmo.html

You can see the condition of my old gear below, and a couple pics of the installed shaft, as well as a pic of my 444.

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• P2260010 (800x600).jpg
  • P2260016 (800x600).jpg
  • P2260017 (800x600).jpg
  • P2260018 (800x600).jpg
  • P3110032 (800x600).jpg

• Alc and Huey have said thanks

#7 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Thanks Matt, that is exactly what I needed to see. And the information about the shaft is what I need, too. You tractor looks great, The stack is a nice touch. It gives me a good reference point as to what I would like my tractor to look like.

#8 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 07:42 AM

Thanks Matt, that is exactly what I needed to see. And the information about the shaft is what I need, too. You tractor looks great, The stack is a nice touch. It gives me a good reference point as to what I would like my tractor to look like.

Glad it was helpful.

Matt

#9 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 23, 2014 - 04:02 PM

My apologies to Titus, yes, the gear is welded on. The steering wheel was bolted on. I know there is no way for you to know that I was thinking one thing while saying another. Where's my sign? You know, the one that says "STUPID". I'm sure that you know more about these tractors than I could ever hope to.

#10 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted August 25, 2014 - 07:37 PM

I've got a new steering shaft with gear welded on. The top bushing in the steering column is worn out. Where can I get this bushing? Thanks

#11 Huey OFFLINE  

Huey
  • GTt Junior
  • 13 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 11, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Have removed the steering support and checked the fit of the new pinion gear and the quadrant gear. Without any washers/shims the gears only mesh about half way and the teeth only go part way into each other. Adding any shims will only move the gears apart more with less mesh. Was thinking about removing about 1/4" from the collar of the quadrant gear. The number on the quadrant is XC18711.

The steering support number is C18992. After looking at parts manuals for all the 444's, can't find where these two part numbers were used together on the same tractor. C18711 was used on 444's made after mine, but with a C25788 steering support. Anyway, would really appreciate advice or insight on this, as I am new to working on this brand tractor, and am green as grass ( and old as dirt ).

ThanksKodak camera 950.JPG