7 replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:57 PM

for you repair gurus out there. While exploring my nephews new property I split the oil tank on my Polaris 400 Sportsman. It split after I drove up on a small tree. There is no guard around it and it hangs on the frame right behind the left front wheel. It is a plastic tank and is glued together. I have finished splitting the tank and it is not broken, stretched, or warped. The two halves are fitted together with one side having a female side and a male side on the other. In other words there is a grove on one half and a tongue an the other half. I tried the Gorilla Epoxy and it will not adhere to it. I've seen the Locktite epoxy - binder but not sure if this will work. Wondering if you guys have had any good experience with something like this. A new tank is $ 256 list and my cost of $ 149 + tax. It does have pressure on it but I can't imagine it would be that much. A regular auto engine normally carries aprox. 60 - 70 psi. Thanks for any info on this.                                                                                                                                        Roger.                     

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:55 PM

I have used Q-bond to repair plastic parts on motorcycles and have had great results with it.It sticks like crazy to plastic.Never tryed it on an oil or gas tank tho but it clames to be oil and gasoline resistant.Its a super glue type product with carbon powder for plastic and aluminum powder for metal.Napa carries it $15-20

goggle q-bond ---------------Good luck                  Bill.

• hamman said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 04:08 AM

I'd check with the local Polaris dealer and see if they have any suggestions on adhesives. You may want to consider a used tank. I'd be wary of a repaired one. It could let go on you miles back in the woods. 

• hamman said thank you

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,175 Thanks
  • 2,254 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 04:20 AM

Plastic containers With any petroleum based contents will be pretty hard to get Bonded to where it doesn't leak.If it was made of PVC there are Alot of different bonding that would work.If it was a small crack or hole you could Plasti-Weld it.There are Some products that claim to be Solvent resistant but most that I've tried in the past has leaked aftera short time on plastic fuel tanks and the sort.

This stuff might work.It's supposed to bond very well.But I have not used it.

You could use a Metal tank off of a slightly older model.They're going for $20 shipped on Ebay.

Or a Used Plastic tank like yours.They're going for around $50 shipped

• hamman said thank you

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 05:19 AM

I wonder if the epoxies  used to repair plastic automotive fuel tanks would work ?

• hamman said thank you

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,230 Thanks
  • 3,216 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Several of the name brand, more expensive plastic tank repair kits are fine for oil, but most will eventually break down if exposed to modern gasoline with alcohol in it. That tank was put together originally, therefore in can be reattached.

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 10:29 AM

I called the dealer where I got the ATV from and explained about the Aluminum oil tanks on EBAY. He advised that I not buy one and use it. Two reasons. #1. The fitment is wrong and the piping is wrong. #2. although it may work it does not have the correct passages and "compartments" (if you will) inside the tank. He has seen others try this and the engine failed.

He also suggested not using a glue to try to put the tank back together. Some hold well until the come in contact with the hot oil and then it breaks down and causes leaks.

I'm at a loss right now. I don't have the money for the new tank but I guess I need it.

I told him that I was going to build a shield around the front of the tank when I put it back on. He thought that was a good idea however he suggested that I make sure there is plenty of room for free air to pass by to help cool the oil. That make s sense and a I told him that I would also drill some small holes in it to help cool the oil. I don't want to take away from the purpose of the shield, so I am thinking of making the shield with some beads down it to give it strength. My neighbor has been doing some figuring and has said it can be done with a bead wheel. His son has one down state and he will be willing to run it for me when I get the steel ready for welding.

Just some more to do on the old list. Thanks for the help. I think I will still try to fix the old tank and try it. I will just have to keep an eye on it.

I will have some pics of the old tank later today.  

#8 UncleWillie ONLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,494 Thanks
  • 7,628 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 11:12 AM

How about giving it a good cleaning to get it as degrease as possible then using a good thick bead of permatex on it. A few zip ties around it should make it secure and keep it from coming apart again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atv, plastic, atv repair, plastic repair