• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 04:17 PM

I have been messing with small gas engines on n off for about 35 years now. I used to hear of Clinton Engines and may have had an errant part here or there for one that I've gotten in garage sale/auction "box lot" buy,s but I now  have my own,  1st complete running Clinton engine. and only the 2d one that I have personally seen.  I just returned from an auction with a "Milwaukee" B-12 rear tine tiller. It looks kinda like an early version of  a Troy bilt.  Everything works, it's a cool little (narrow) machine.  and not in too bad of shape.

Having zero experience with Clinton engines I have no way to ID this engine as to HP or age.
It has a Carter Model "N" Carb like I have seen on Kohlers (except that the bowl is more like the shape of a 1/2 sphere)  It runs even despite a blown head gasket, something I need to find along with head torque specs. It is cast iron looks to be a little smaller than a Kohler K91.

Engine model; D1107C5B    serial number  2177284A

Who knows what about these?  Any sources for parts starting with that head gasket? 

oh and I need an air filter fo it, it has the adapter off the carb and the stud, someone "make shifted" a paper cartridge onto it.

Edited by dodge trucker, August 10, 2014 - 04:34 PM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 05:29 PM

Superaben might have some info on that one for ya, we'll see what he has to say when he stops by.
  • boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I have one Clinton here at the house, I was looking for a kohler k-90 and came across this Clinton, it is a 1200 series engine and purrs like a kitten.  Kind of neat all the bolts are stamped Clinton rite on the head.  Good luck with your search there are lots of very helpful guys on here.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#4 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,801 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Where's the pics??
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:24 PM

I have a C-1100 for a Choremaster and I can't get any spark on the darn thing!

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:48 PM

Clinton sold more engines than Briggs and Stratton in the 1950's and early 1960's.

The D1100 is 3 horsepower and it is a horse with power. 

I sell new old stock Clinton parts, and I believe I have one of the best inventories in the country.  I have reproduced the head gasket ($6.50, part number 6141) and I have almost anything you could need in stock.  Carburetor kits are identical to Kohler kits. 

The air cleaner may be a hiccup in our giddy-up, though. I have a NOS oil bath lid and a NOS filter mesh for inside the air cleaner cup.  I am working on reproducing the Saf-T-Vue cups, but if you really really really want one really bad, I suppose I might be able to help.

Ben W.

• Cat385B, boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:38 PM

Where's the pics??

ha ha  I am a fairly decent mechanic with engines and such but I am a computer idiot... and that's after having had a couple of college level computer classes within the last 3 years.... I was the only guy in there (other than the teacher) among a dozen students in the class.... stuff the girls could "whip out" within the confines of class time, while I struggled all stinking day on Sunday to do the same thing and it was usually for a lesser grade than they would get on the same thing....

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:44 PM

on the air cleaner it isn't "that" important I guess it does have something of an air filter on it, looks like the cartridge filter used on older I/C Briggs and Tecumseh "XL" engines on it  I'll find one someday/ used is just fine, don't hafta be NOS or anything...

the carb to block gasket looks to be some either 3 gaskets piggybacked together (why would someone do that) or else it's some kind of "laminated" gasket.... but the carb seems fine so I aint fixin what ain't broke at the moment....

Ben; you mention a "D1100"  this is a "D1107"  what's the difference there?

• superaben said thank you

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 05:15 AM

The D1100 would be the basic model series. D1107 would be what Clinton called a "model variation."

If your carb to block setup has two or three wide aluminum gaskets in it, that is an early Clinton special to help keep the carburetor cool.  It was designed to put cooling fins right at the carburetor.

Ben W.

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 06:04 AM

on the air cleaner it isn't "that" important I guess it does have something of an air filter on it, looks like the cartridge filter used on older I/C Briggs and Tecumseh "XL" engines on it  I'll find one someday/ used is just fine, don't hafta be NOS or anything...

the carb to block gasket looks to be some either 3 gaskets piggybacked together (why would someone do that) or else it's some kind of "laminated" gasket.... but the carb seems fine so I aint fixin what ain't broke at the moment....

Ben; you mention a "D1100"  this is a "D1107"  what's the difference there?

The three gaskets is from the factory, spacers to set the carb at the ideal linage location to the gov lever, sometimes depending on the model a tin spacer/air deflector is added between the gaskets depending on the carb that was currently on contract by Clinton.

The ending letter C5B is the variations to the basic block build, the 7 attached to the end of the model number is the ''series'' for better lack of words, to that first base block, D1107 is updated from original D1100, it also gives a pretty good idea as to the year of build.

• superaben and dodge trucker have said thanks

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 08:04 PM

it also gives a pretty good idea as to the year of build.

any idea what that might be?

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 08:44 PM

I respectfully decline and withdraw

Ben was referred, not me.

Clinton sold more engines than Briggs and Stratton in the 1950's and early 1960's.

The D1100 is 3 horsepower and it is a horse with power. 

I sell new old stock Clinton parts, and I believe I have one of the best inventories in the country.  I have reproduced the head gasket ($6.50, part number 6141) and I have almost anything you could need in stock.  Carburetor kits are identical to Kohler kits. 

The air cleaner may be a hiccup in our giddy-up, though. I have a NOS oil bath lid and a NOS filter mesh for inside the air cleaner cup.  I am working on reproducing the Saf-T-Vue cups, but if you really really really want one really bad, I suppose I might be able to help.

Ben W.

With regards.

• superaben said thank you

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Sadly, no one knows. 

Clinton kept terrible serial number records.  To my knowledge, and from talking to employees, those records did exist but they are long gone.  Factory literature hordes occasionally come to light, I bought one about a year ago that was very interesting (blueprints, correspondence between Clinton and a couple vendors, etc).  My only hope is that someday that information will be found.

The D1100 was first produced in 1951 and replaced with a 1200 in 1954.  That's about all I can tell you.  That information was found buried in a service manual. 

I don't have much experience assigning a date to an engine with the model "variation" numbers.  I imagine it could be done if someone understood the idea beyond assigning a model number, i.e., was it in order of design or OEM contract order? 

Ben W.

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 10:33 PM

well this motor started and ran pretty decent even though I felt the blow by from a blown head gasket when I got it,,,,, finally got around to replacing the head gasket earlier today, big difference in compression now... (didn't put a gauge on it but spinning the flywheel by hand there IS a very noticeable difference... that old Clinton sure sounds nice..... and different from anything "new" these days....

• Alc said thank you

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Great to hear you have it running :thumbs:   Would still like to see some pictures though