• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

fogler12538
  • Member No: 59557
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 01:53 PM

I picked up a Bolens 1886 repowered with the motor from an ht20 (k532) and a mower deck yesterday for not a lot . Got it home and started using it right away on some tall grass in the back yard . Used it for about 3 hours only problem was I had to have the choke out a little other than that it ran great . Got back on it this morning and used it for about half an hour till my neighbor stopped over to see my new toy . When I shut it off it backfired . after a few mins he left and I went back to work only now it started a little hard , seemed louder and stalls out under a load and has trouble going up the slight incline in my yard . Still learning and any help would be great

#2 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

fogler12538
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 01:57 PM

I forgot to mention I'm a carpenter of 30 years and am learning mechanics slowly

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 04:04 PM

In that situation I would give the engine a good visual inspection to see if there are any signs of oil leaks or a loose spark plug wire etc. I'm wondering if you have an ignition problem and are running on 1 cylinder. 

• HDWildBill, superaben and fogler12538 have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 04:04 PM

It sounds like the fuel mixture is too lean.  Take off the air filter and air filter mount and you'll see two screws on top of the carburetor.  You might try turning the one closest to the front out a little bit (as in 1/8 turn at a time) and see if you can't make it run better.

You also might try removing the points cover (located on the operator's left side) and cleaning up the points with a small file.

Ben W.

• fogler12538 said thank you

#5 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

fogler12538
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 04:44 PM

Thanks it was a bad plug wire . changed it and it runs well . I've learned everything I know about carpentry by watching and I'm very good at it . I wish someone who was good at working on GT's lived close and could show me .
  • JDBrian said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,753 Thanks
  • 8,922 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 05:19 PM

. I wish someone who was good at working on GT's lived close and could show me .

That's what this forum is all about. Thousands of folks concentrating on the topic of garden tractors and everything in life related to them. (and sometimes not) Spell your problem out, and somewhere on here is someone who has done it before or knows how to fix it that will talk you through it.

The only way to get more responses about a GT around here is to ask for opinions about a GT. Then no one shuts up.

You might want to brush up on how to post pictures, though. We're a needy bunch in that department.
  • olcowhand, GTTinkerer, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:18 AM

We have quite a few member up your way.  Might try hooking up with them.  Put your location on our members map so others can see where you are.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 10:57 AM

Thanks it was a bad plug wire . changed it and it runs well . I've learned everything I know about carpentry by watching and I'm very good at it . I wish someone who was good at working on GT's lived close and could show me .

Glad you got it fixed. A Bolens large frame is a very nice GT. Have a look in our manuals section for information on your tractor. Owners and service manuals are a great asset when problems occur. Also the Kohler service manual for the K532 is a good thing to have available when troubleshooting.

#9 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

fogler12538
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 10:59 AM

Now the question is where to get new plug wires for k532

#10 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 09:53 PM

Now the question is where to get new plug wires for k532

Take it to an auto parts store. I'm sure they can match it up. Unless you want a genuine Kohler part.

#11 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hang out HERE and you will learn alot....   AND not just tractors