8 replies to this topic

#1 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Well, I'm glad I finally got a chance to do a little maintance on the old F150. I bought this thing last july from my uncle so I could use it to transport bigger tractors in the bed of it than what my Ranger can. So after driving it about 1,000 miles over the past few months and having the trans grind sometimes and whine pretty much, I finally decided it was time to chenge the fluid in the F150's M50D-R2 Tranny. I never changed trans fluid before...other than in a Bolens.....so I watched some youtube vids and found out what I needed to do. The first thing I did was remove the Fill Plug...to which nothing came out so ok...no big deal....Then I removed the drain plug to which....ONLY A 1/2 QT OF ATF CAME OUT!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!! The owners manual says it should have upwords of 4 qts.....LOL!!!! What made me mad about this is that it has been grinding and whining for the past 6 years that my uncle had it before than to which the trans was even taken out and had a brand new clutch in and slave cylinder....These people who worked on this truck must have been real dumbasses to not check this....I even had it at the garage for inspection and stuff in august last year and there is no way it was checked....The Fluid that came out was so black it was unbelievable...and keep in mind my manual trans takes ATF which should be bright red. All this was really starting to make me mad, I mean the truck has 216,500 miles but this is stuff that should be checked!!!! Well after complaining about this I decided to fill it up with new ATF and see what happens...What a PITA this is because you cant get a funnel inbetween the tunnel for the trans and the trans itself LOL, but I somehow managed to fill her....So I took it off the ramps after doing an oil change as well, and started her up, and I could not believe the difference....not Whining or Grinding!!!! It was Great!!!! Even took her out on the highway and blew out the Carbon....IF you know what I mean...and it runs and shifts great, it almost feels like a new trans again....All it cost me was about $20 in ATF and a couple cuts but I got her done.....Its funny $20 was all it took to fix this problem, I still cant over the idiots that work on this thing....Make you wonder if they actually do what they say they did???? This is why I try to do as much of the work I can without taking it to a garage!!!!!!!

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 06:03 PM

Glad you got it fixed, you just experienced what happens when you deal with people that don't care.
I had an 88 F150 4x4 5sp, 300 six, put 460,000km on it, got rid of it when the 2nd clutch failed and it was getting rusty. I think I changed the trany fluid in it once, biggest problem catalytic converters, it had 3 of them, changed the hole system to an aftermarket setup that used 1 hi-flow unit and got way more power, way better gas mileage and a cooler running engine.

#3 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 08:58 AM

Glad you got it fixed, you just experienced what happens when you deal with people that don't care.
I had an 88 F150 4x4 5sp, 300 six, put 460,000km on it, got rid of it when the 2nd clutch failed and it was getting rusty. I think I changed the trany fluid in it once, biggest problem catalytic converters, it had 3 of them, changed the hole system to an aftermarket setup that used 1 hi-flow unit and got way more power, way better gas mileage and a cooler running engine.

3 Cats wow, even mine only has 1

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 01:40 PM

You should recheck this in a few miles and see if you see any fresh leaks. If its the Mazda trans, there are rubber plugs at the back of the shifter that are prone to leaking. They run down over the back and give the impression that the rear seal leaks.
  • Nascar3244888 said thank you

#5 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 06:28 PM

You should recheck this in a few miles and see if you see any fresh leaks. If its the Mazda trans, there are rubber plugs at the back of the shifter that are prone to leaking. They run down over the back and give the impression that the rear seal leaks.

ok I will keep an eye out thanks

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 07, 2011 - 06:33 PM

3 Cats wow, even mine only has 1

The truck was always gutless and seemed to burn a lot of gas then one day the muffler fell of right behind the converter and there was no exhaust noise, whisper quiet. Right then I knew why.

#7 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 04:51 AM

The truck was always gutless and seemed to burn a lot of gas then one day the muffler fell of right behind the converter and there was no exhaust noise, whisper quiet. Right then I knew why.

that explains it

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 05:38 AM

My 94 F150 had two cats on it. One real big one and a smaller one up by the manifold. I put aftermarket exhaust on it also and removed the one cat which was the large one. I would like to replace the small one with a high flow cat but the truck does alright. It gets around 16-17 mpg.

Glad to hear you got your tranny noises fixed Nascar :D

#9 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 03:58 PM

My 94 F150 had two cats on it. One real big one and a smaller one up by the manifold. I put aftermarket exhaust on it also and removed the one cat which was the large one. I would like to replace the small one with a high flow cat but the truck does alright. It gets around 16-17 mpg.

Glad to hear you got your tranny noises fixed Nascar :D

I hoping it stays that way.....Anyone know about swapping in gauge cluster with a tach or putting an aftermarket one in????