Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,053 Thanks
  • 2,093 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 08:56 AM

I'm trying to learn the rated horsepower of the 200000 series B&S cast-iron engines.

The specific engine is a model # 200451 type # 0030-01 manufactures in February, 1974.

I don't have the horsepower rating in any of my B&S books, and I didn't have any luck with Google.

The reason for this question:  The mower manufacturer identifies the motor mounting platform based on the hp of the engine used (not the B&S model).   .....7.5hp or 9hp are the choices, but I don't know if the 200451 is the 7.5 or 9hp model.

I'm thinking the 200451 is the 7.5hp, but I would like confirmation.

Thanks for any help!

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:15 AM

The first two digits are the displacement in cubic inches. A 19D is 7.25 hp. The 20 is probably 7.5 hp. Take a look at this manual :  http://gardentractor...pairman-manual/    and   http://gardentractor...ines-1919-1981/   These have most of the answers that you will need.

You can download three manuals per day for free. Good Luck, Rick 

• Bruce Dorsi and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,522 Thanks
  • 6,381 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 10:46 AM

I'm with you on not understanding why the HP is not listed in manuals. Maybe with diff carbs and  other systems you could get diff hp from same cubic inch?  All the blocks are about same size. I have a 24 10hp in my shop, same size as the 16's in my tractors now to me at least. Carb is little smaller on the 10, but used same kit. Let us know if you find the clue for ID'ing these.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#4 framesteer OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 327 Thanks
  • 161 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Recent law suits on engine manufacturers advertising horsepower.  There are all kinds of ways to state an engine's horsepower and some manufactures started taking advantage by overstating the horsepower in their advertisements.  There was a class action lawsuit and the engine manufacturers and the equipment manufacturers had to pay.  You hardly ever see horsepower ratings on engine advertisements ore even engine specs anymore - they don't want another lawsuit.   They list torque specs instead.

This is taken from the Briggs FAQ website http://www.briggsand...r-torque-rating:

If you are uncertain as to the gross torque or horsepower rating of your engine, we invite you to Ask a Question or call our Briggs & Stratton Answer Center at (800) 444-7774 (8:00 am - 5:00 pm CST) with your engine Model, Type, and Code Numbers, and we will be happy to assist you

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you