27 replies to this topic

#16 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 08:33 PM

I worry about drugs and such all the time with my children. What gets me is when I was growing up it was a little pot here and there. People tried it and moved on with their lives. Now it's freaking hard core drugs running rampant in our schools. It's scary.

I personally never tried any drugs. I did drink a lot of beer!

All we can do as parents and teach our kids the best we can then hope and pray they make positive decisions in their lives.

Drug users don't always come from "bad" families. A boy I went to high school with had a great childhood. A life most kids would beg to have. He is now dead. He got into drugs his first year of college and overdosed. They buried him at 19 years old.

I can say too not always is the norm everyone her is stating about kids not getting attention. Just passing through home ect. Isn't the norm. At least not with my friends my wife's friends and all our families. You guys may be more affected by the media than you think. But maybe then again I am wrong and it's different in your area..

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 10, 2014 - 08:36 PM.

• hamman and trowel have said thanks

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:03 PM

I think each area is slightly different, the problems are the same but how to tackle it would be a little different, i am from Ohio also but schooled and raised here also so i know both states and the differances can be striking when looked at closely, fact of the matter is values are basiclly the same throughout the country which is the groundwork for a strong family, even a single parent family or multi extended families, the values stays the same.

I see so many oblivious lost kids walking around clueless to common sense and values of work, we were like that once, thing is, we grew up and made life changing choices and goals based on what our mothers and fathers taught us and stuck by them until finished, kids these day, everything is a flop, it is however they feel at the moment and you can't hurt their feeling or they will call DSS or the cops on you, nothing is real to them, when you try to talk about real things they freak out, we can't reprimand them anymore.

• hamman, Cvans, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 07:37 AM

The value of a hard days work can never be stated enough.  

My grandfather told me he said if you are making a nickel for the job or a million dollars you do the best job you can do and give it 110%.

I am afraid for what direction this country is going to take in the coming years.  I worry for my son and daughter what opportunities are going to be available for them.

• GTTinkerer, hamman and trowel have said thanks

#19 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:49 AM

The trouble with Heroin is that once they try it, many people are instantly 'hooked' and will do anything to get more..  Beg,,  rob.. steal.. pawn..   The awful list goes on & on..  Then the 'high' loses it's 'flavor' and they start doing dangerous combinations if they haven't OD'ed already.  YES-  It happens to good kids too.  All they need to do it is once and the downward spiral begins..  Pushers try to entice the kids to 'try this' and then there's another paying customer and they reap the rewards..  This is just another reason to tighten border security and put shipments from Opiate producing countries under the microscope.  Get serious and stop the import of this crap.  Folks blame the Gov or bad parenting or the seemingly omnipresence of supply of these drugs..  They ALL play a part in the same sick play which is drug abuse in this country and the world over.  

I'll stop now before I get a(nother!) warning point!  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, August 11, 2014 - 10:30 AM.

• GTTinkerer, hamman, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#20 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 10:16 AM

I think each area is slightly different, the problems are the same but how to tackle it would be a little different, i am from Ohio also but schooled and raised here also so i know both states and the differances can be striking when looked at closely, fact of the matter is values are basiclly the same throughout the country which is the groundwork for a strong family, even a single parent family or multi extended families, the values stays the same.

I see so many oblivious lost kids walking around clueless to common sense and values of work, we were like that once, thing is, we grew up and made life changing choices and goals based on what our mothers and fathers taught us and stuck by them until finished, kids these day, everything is a flop, it is however they feel at the moment and you can't hurt their feeling or they will call DSS or the cops on you, nothing is real to them, when you try to talk about real things they freak out, we can't reprimand them anymore.

Your line about, " I see so many obviously lost kids walking around........... brought something to mind. Back when we (us older folks in our 50s, 60s, 70s etc.) had people we could use as role models. Our Movie heroes, sports heroes, politicians, friends, adults, parents were there for us. Sure some were struggling with something, but it wasn't as rampant and accepted as it is today. Politicians steal, cheat, lie, do drugs and they cry and ask you to forgive them. Sports heroes do the same, they hit their wives, girlfriends, and others and do drugs and blame it on the " other part" of their lives that make for a stressful life and want you to accept that it was the stress that caused them to do the drugs etc.. I think you know where I am going with this. It seems that there is no longer anyone willing to stand up and say " HEY I CAUSED THIS" it wasn't you, them or they, it was ME. I'm to blame and I am here to take full responsibility and blame for my actions.

This is what kids need to see and hear. Not the blame passing and blame shuffling. As I have been doing for several years now I pray for a time that we never have to hear the word Cancer again and I pray that people start saying " It's my fault, I realize that and now I need your help to see me through this tough time while I rectify the problem and need your prayers to do this.

Responsibility when taken can go a long way to show others how much better they can feel about themselves.               Thanks for letting me vent.   JM2CW.

Rioger.

• limebuzz, Alc, GTTinkerer and 4 others have said thanks

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:17 PM

I understand how you feel Roger, i really do and agree 100 %, to stop and say i was wrong is very powerful, many see it as a weakness, it goes right along with honesty which kids are tough to buried a lie with another lie, living a life of lies damage more then many care to amit.

This thread can go anyweres it wants to, rip it up and vent a moment, people are mad, confused and feeling lost, things are changing way too fast around here.

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:23 PM

The value of a hard days work can never be stated enough.  

My grandfather told me he said if you are making a nickel for the job or a million dollars you do the best job you can do and give it 110%.

I am afraid for what direction this country is going to take in the coming years.  I worry for my son and daughter what opportunities are going to be available for them.

Mines too, the fear grows every month with the news, a deep sick feeling in your stomach, i know i get that sometimes when i look at Missy, and there is very little that can be done.

#23 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 09:38 AM

I know a little about addictions.  I was a drinker and substance abuser when I was younger and it seems like I have attended a million AA and addiction meetings.  Clean and sober since 94 by the way.  Anyway, I was what they call a "fear based"  alcoholic.  I have discovered that kids start using things because they don't like the way they feel and somehow believe that "this will make you feel better."  I am not sure why I didn't like the way that I felt.  I look back at my home life and I had a happy childhood, I was taught values and ethics.  It doesn't always come down from bad parenting.  I think it can also come from the ways other kids make you feel, giving you insecurities, etc.  I remember a granddaughter, when she was about 13 years old being worried to death that she might be getting fat.  She had a test.  Lift your shirt up in the back and lean forward.  If you can see  my ribs, I am to fat.  Where did she ever get that?  Thank God, it was just a phase with her and she made it into adulthood without getting the addictive personality that I had.

We live out in the middle of cow country and in this area, Meth labs are all over supplying this valley with all they want.  I have heard reports of the heroin lately and I think this place needs a good task force to put an end to this crap.  There is also a lot of gang activity here.  We moved here from a good sized town in Florida and there was literally zero gang activity in my town or the bigger cities surrounding us.  We move to cow country and the first thing we hear on the news is gang shootings,  What the heck? 

Give your kids and grandkids all the love and support that you can and do your best to make sure they have good self esteem. It just may save their lives.

• MH81, Alc, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Just found this out today.

My youngest cousin when I was growing up was arrested today. He is 24. He was caught robbing a bar and then setting it on fire. After getting arrested he was found to be in possession of drugs(heroine and cocaine)

Never expected this. He was a good kid and I last seen him 5 months ago and he was excited for his new job and getting married next year. I have no idea how he got in this state

Very sad.
  • olcowhand and trowel have said thanks

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 08:09 PM

I am very sorry to hear of this, it seems it happens very quick, hard to find real good help these days.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 08:11 PM

My youngest cousin when I was growing up was arrested today. He is 24. He was caught robbing a bar and then setting it on fire. After getting arrested he was found to be in possession of drugs(heroine and cocaine)

Never expected this. He was a good kid and I last seen him 5 months ago and he was excited for his new job and getting married next year. I have no idea how he got in this state

Very sad.

Indeed sad.  Drugs take over so fast!  I just don't see the attraction in the 1st place.  

#27 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 09:28 PM

Very sad.

It happens way too much sadly. I've lived it first hand with my oldest son. (35). He is currently serving time for stealing stuff to support his habit. I hope and pray that he learns a valuable lesson this time, it's his first real stay in the big house for any amount of time. I've written back and forth a few times and it seems like he is ready to completely change his ways once he gets out. I have my fingers crossed. But he will sure need to prove himself to many that will be watching him closely.

#28 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 08:39 AM

That would be the tough part if you are in that situation.

You would have to feel like everyone is just waiting for you to screw up.

My brother in law is on the same path, he is good friends with my cousin.