Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Started Assembling The Briggs 23D For The '64 Landlord Today.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 10:06 PM

The parts finally came in for my 23D, so I started getting the engine assembled. The engine was seized due to a galled up bearing plate, so I used another crankshaft and both bearing plates from another 23D that I had. I bought an NOS piston assembly, connecting rod, carburetor, points plunger and points plunger bushing. I also replaced the valves, installed a new coil on my armature, and installed a new set of points and condenser. I'm hoping to finish it up tomorrow, but I have plans for a road trip to pick up a rare little tractor, so I may have to finish it up on Monday. I really need to find a decent seat for this Landlord. If anyone has a good original one, please let me know.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140809_134543-1-1.jpg
  • 20140809_223323-1.jpg
  • 20140730_151134.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 05:28 AM

Im jealous of you right now, all work and no time, i should spur you for torturing me with these rebuilds, looking good :thumbs:

• boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 05:48 AM

I am not sure how classic does all this, every time I see a post from him it is another great re-build.  Looking good!!!!!!!  Cant wait to see a pic of it mowing the yard.

Edited by petrj6, August 10, 2014 - 05:49 AM.

• trowel, boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#4 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 862 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Those 23D are strong engines and seem to last and last if taken care of properly.

I have a picture of a 64 Landlord mowing in 2008 a year before dad passed away. He bought the tractor new with a deck, tiller and front blade. A year later he bought a snow blower for it after a snow storm with so much snow Dad had to hand shovel a path to get it so he could use the blade a little at a time.

Dadmowingwiththelandloard.jpg

Prouddadandlandlord.jpg

Mom doesn't grow a garden any more and the lawn gets mowed with a 2010 Conquest she bought so the snow blower is worn prement.

I use it in the winter to blow the drive clean. Dad took care of his stuff and that 23D hasn't been touched except maintance stuff and does not smoke.

landlordsnowbloweranddad.jpg

:D    Al

• trowel, LilysDad and classic have said thanks

#5 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:23 AM

Trowel, you wouldn't have been jealous of me if you saw me putting the keepers in the valves yesterday, LOL! Never drink three cups of coffee and then attempt doing that. The combination of my work schedule and my passion for working on these tractors creates the time needed to mess with these things, Pete. I did rob some time from working in the vegetable garden this year and it's about ready to be mowed again. At least I got the fence up this year!
Al, it's great to see pics of that Simplicity still going strong! Your Dad did a great job taking care of it over the years, God bless him. Taking care of these machines will definitely keep them running strong for years. This Simplicity I'm working on was well taken care of up until it changed hands at some point. Dirty and low engine oil did it in, but that's how I ended up with it. I find it amazing that original Briggs parts are still fairly easy to come by, and usually pretty cheap if you have patients, too.
Well the deal fell through for the little rare tractor I was supposed to pick up today. Some people just can't keep their word, and I should have expected it from the area the tractor was located. On the up side, I can finish up the 23D today.
  • trowel said thank you

#6 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 05:39 PM

So does she live yet?   Mine has started weeping a bit from the rear axle seals, not looking forward to that repair, or the cracked rear flex plate on the drive shaft thats letting the shaft shake and hit the steering shaft.  Another fun repair, I have a spare plate from a B1 that should fit.  Mike

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:23 PM

Yeah, those keeper sux, the third hand never seems to be there to put in the clip,............too much coffee, yeah, lol.

That suxs about the rare tractor, had a bunch like that too, first come first served make it hard, got to jump at it now but when working full time and living a life it is hard.

Plans changed for me too, mowed with Squire 9 today, good old girl, believe it or not it has been a week since the last mow.

Snuck, a few min before the sun set to fix the sickle mower.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1345.JPG
  • DSCF1346.JPG
  • DSCF1352.JPG
  • DSCF1353.JPG

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#8 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:35 PM

I spent some time cleaning up the tin work and cleaning up the hardware. A couple of friends stopped by, so I took some time out to shoot the breeze. I'll continue wrapping things up over the next couple of days so I can fire it up. We miss out on some of the tractors, but I have plenty to work with,and others will come along. I'm looking forward to the '56 Power king project and the engine parts, hood and fenders will be here this week. I got a lead on a bunch of garden tractors in the mountains, so I'm really looking forward to a trip up there. I'll post pics of the 23D all painted up and let you all know how it runs.
  • trowel and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Great pics of the B10 and sickle trowel!
  • trowel said thank you

#10 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Ahhh, I just noticed the Squire, Trowel. Nice!! You just don't see them often.
  • trowel said thank you

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 08:37 PM

That Squire 9 is something of a paradox.

Steve and Keven had Landlords when i was young, i loved my father's Sears SS12 but the Landlords, always liked them, i half ass search for my own after buying and using several Simplicity walk behinds, Gravely, Cub Cadet, Bolens Husky and then came across this by accident, i posted it in the classified on this fourm, it was Josh (talintedmrgreen) that explained why it was bronze, i bought it.

The thing is, my walk behinds are mainly David Bradley, Sears and Roebuck, my Super 3 is a odd ball tractor, has all the bells and whistles of a top of the line walk behind, odd thing is, it has a Continental AU85 engine instead of the typical Briggs and was painted bronze with cream wheel rims. Only made for one year, rare, yeah, only one painted bronze.

Now the Montgomery Wards Garden Mark Squire 9, a repainted and rebranded landlord 9 early, ironiclly bronze in color and was Sears and Roebucks biggest competitor, only sold for one year and has the Briggs 23D 9 hp instead of the Briggs 24 10 hp, rare ? yep, just like the bronze DB tractor, only by color and one year.

here's were it takes a spin, the owner of the tractor only had it a few weeks, he bought it from the original owner who had it for almost 50 years, bought new with dozer plow, mow deck and three belt snow thrower along with the original manuals, all original to the tractor, all of which was sold with the tractor to me. I found and spoke with the original owner who is in his 90's, had a nice chat.

As of right now i am currently the only one known so far with the original early MW Squire 9 manual and attachment manuals.

Peter had the Allis B-10 for sale on CL, ironiclly it was another Landlord 9 early and i was looking for a parts tractor, just rebranded by Allis Chalmers with a different grill to B-10 with the Briggs 23D 9 hp so i bought her, a 233431 engine popped up and i bought it, swapped the cranks and used the 233431 block and is still currently using her as such.

• classic said thank you

#12 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 02:18 PM

Couldn't get on here due to technical difficulties, but the old Landlord runs and drives again!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140812_151730-1.jpg

• Bill56, trowel and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 09:58 PM

Looks super! Congratulations on a great job!!
  • classic said thank you

#14 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 10:18 PM

Thanks Bill, it was fun rebuilding an old cast iron Briggs again. The last one I rebuilt was 20 years ago. Now I have to pull the engine back off and get some fresh paint on it. After that, I'll get to work on restoring the headlights and get those wired up. There's a bunch more cleaning to do, some details to take care of, and I have to patch that small tear in the seat and make it unnoticeable, LOL!

Edited by classic, August 12, 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 11:02 PM

Great job Classic. I like the grille on these especially with the head lights on they look like their smiling. Congrats
  • classic said thank you