• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Just spent the day at Unidilla...... it was AWESOME even if my favorite rider wasn't there. Took a few pic's to share with you all Enjoy                                                                                                                         014.JPG                                                                                                                015.JPG                                                                                                                   016.JPG                                                                                                                  020.JPG                                                                                                                   pic's of them blasting over the table top during the practice, and a few from my seat                                                   040.JPG  The table top from my seat                                                                      052.JPG                                                                                                                   053.JPG                                                                                                                  054.JPG                                                                                                                   056.JPG                                                                                                                  060.JPG                                                                                                                   060.JPG                                               

Attached Thumbnails

• 059.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, pharmer and 3 others have said thanks

#2 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 07:27 PM

Yes I was a MXer when I was a wee lad. Thanks for the pictures!
  • pharmer and T Guiles have said thanks

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 08:36 PM

I never raced, but had quite a few friends who did. I live in Southwick home of MX 338.
It closed down last year, but a new sponsor is ready to open back up. It hosted a Nationals race every June, so hopefully that returns also. Great pics . Thanks for sharing.
  • T Guiles said thank you

#4 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 12:05 AM

Id love to race mx on quad im getting into woods racing next year though

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 06:13 AM

I'm old, and I used to be a fan a long time ago, so I guess I qualify. Those guys are getting crazy air on the jumps! What do they have for classes these days. Used to be 125, 250 and open in the old days. I don't think anyone makes 125cc bikes now! 

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:05 AM

I'm old, and I used to be a fan a long time ago, so I guess I qualify. Those guys are getting crazy air on the jumps! What do they have for classes these days. Used to be 125, 250 and open in the old days. I don't think anyone makes 125cc bikes now!

I was wondering this as well. Do they still produce 2 stroke mxbikes?
  • JDBrian and T Guiles have said thanks

#7 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 10:13 AM

ktm Still makes 2 stroke and yamaha but ktm stopped selling int the us last year.  these newer mx classes are 250 4 stroke and 2 stroek then 450 stroke these modern 450s rip rev like 14000rpm broad powerband through the whole range.  It wouldnt surprise me if they banned the 450s like the did the 500cc class in the 90s

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 10:55 AM

When I was stationed in Spain I did some mx racing but quickly found that even though I enjoyed dirt riding I wasn't very good at mx and it was more fun watching the guys who could.  It was always fun when the Bultaco Racing team came on base to race some of our local's.  That was when Bultaco was in their hay day. 

Things have changed greatly since those days. 

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:00 AM

ktm Still makes 2 stroke and yamaha but ktm stopped selling int the us last year. these newer mx classes are 250 4 stroke and 2 stroek then 450 stroke these modern 450s rip rev like 14000rpm broad powerband through the whole range. It wouldnt surprise me if they banned the 450s like the did the 500cc class in the 90s

I haven't ridden a real dirt bike in years. Last 2 stroke bike I owned was a cr125.

I have ridden the newer 450cc honda sport atv. That thing flat out rips!!!

#10 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:01 AM

They are surprisingly very controlable, they have a lot of power but its consistent not like the old cr490,when the power band kicked in it was hold on time.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:05 AM

I raced when I was 17 through 21yrs old, but made very few races being a dairy farmer.  I have two 2nd place trophies, and 2 3rd place trophies, but lack of time & money....had to drop out.  I tried it again at 30yrs old after my divorce, but the wild hair was long gone, so hung up my boots.  My last racer was an 84 Honda CR125R.  I won 3 of the trophies (first ever trophy on 73 TM125 Suziki at hare scramble) on my 1977 Suzuki RM125B.....my best race bike ever.  I was competing the RM against bikes 6 to 8 years newer than mine.  But one thing's for sure.....I never got air like they do today, nor would I have tried even if I had a bike capable!  I love my bones in one piece!

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:07 AM

They are surprisingly very controlable, they have a lot of power but its consistent not like the old cr490,when the power band kicked in it was hold on time.

Try the powerband of a Bultaco Pursang 350!  I had one, and that thing hit like a rocket all at once!  Likely had all suspension travel of 3+ inches too!

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:18 AM

I don't think the jumps were as high back then as the are today.  But even so when those shock bottomed out...

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:19 AM

I don't think the jumps were as high back then as the are today.  But even so when those shock bottomed out...

..........it hurt!

• JDBrian, HDWildBill and T Guiles have said thanks

#15 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:24 AM

My first dirt bike was a Honda trail 70, my last was a 2008 kx 450f. The Kawi was a beast you could pull the front tire in any gear at any speed, but it was so predictable, if you wanted the wheel 8 inches off the ground all you needed to do was twist the throttle.  The guy's and gal's that race the bike's of today are truly the best of the best. Over 100 riders showed up for the race trying to get a spot in the show. Only 30 get to race and that's the pro series. The things they do on the track and the speed they do it is AMAZING.... 

• HDWildBill said thank you