sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 04:48 PM

I am always looking for ways to create some garden tractor cash. I found some older heavy duty pallet racks close enough to try to turn some quick cash. I picked up half the racks last week ( a trailer load full ) and posted a Craig's list ad. I priced them first at a price I thought they were worth, but decided after no calls with in a day to drop it further since my goal was to sell them off the trailer and not have to unload and store them. I got a reply that evening - he seemed interested, sent pictures but then nothing. Then had another contact that would buy more if interested....then this deal went south because he gave me a lowball offer and I was not interested. I immediately contacted the first caller who said he would take them at the agreed price. I delivered them to him for an agreed delivery fee... At this point I have reloaded the trailer with 3 1/2 more racks- my cost was time and a tank of gas (and a hurting back). Was not the deal I had hoped to get, but could have turned out worse. But it might be a while before I jump on something this heavy.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407620795.991206.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407620808.967168.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407620822.419852.jpg
  • trowel, Cvans, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 04:50 PM

Man, I'd love some of those.  One could put small GT's on them to save space!

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 04:53 PM

I get good results most times when I buy and re-sell like that.  I am very careful now, I got burned a few times and lost more than I would care to remember so now I pay better attention. Glad your deal worked out for you, making a little is better than getting more clutter in the yard :D

Cowhand--  I have few of those, you can put full size gt's on there and they work good.  Put ramps up and drive them up on the end of the rack.  Mine are all disassembled and piled up rite now. 

Pete

Edited by petrj6, August 09, 2014 - 04:55 PM.

• sacsr, trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 05:07 PM

They also look good for salvaging steel bars for projects. Good Luck, Rick
  • sacsr and trowel have said thanks

#5 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 05:08 PM

I ended up with 24 metal shelves (and 1/2 inch plywood to cover them) in this deal. These are only about 54" between the supports, but man these shelves are HEAVY! The outside angle iron on the shelves are 1/4 inch steel. My neighbor pulled one off the trailer and I asked him what he thought it weighed. He guessed 50-60 lbs a piece.image.jpg
  • MH81, trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 08:12 AM

Glad it worked out for you. Giving it just a day especially on the weekend was not enough. Next time wait a few days to a week & edit your add to bring it back to the top of the list. I get most calls early on the week days. That was a nice haul you sold.
  • sacsr said thank you

#7 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 08:49 AM

If I had not been coming up to PA I would have waited longer- just did not have the space to store all the racks - but I agree - I think I could've gotten my asking price had I had the time to wait. Back is killing me today and I have to get my shop and trailer ready.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 10:43 AM

If I had not been coming up to PA I would have waited longer- just did not have the space to store all the racks - but I agree - I think I could've gotten my asking price had I had the time to wait. Back is killing me today and I have to get my shop and trailer ready.

Yep, sure sounds like you and Uncle Willie are in the same race! :bigrofl:

• sacsr and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,451 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 12:33 PM

I just find it easier to have a job and make my money. I seldom buy anything to resell it, as it usually ends up in a big hassle someplace along the line.

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:33 PM

I just find it easier to have a job and make my money. I seldom buy anything to resell it, as it usually ends up in a big hassle someplace along the line.

I love doing it for fun but it would be a job if I tried to do it for a living.

#11 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 07:50 PM

I love doing it for fun but it would be a job if I tried to do it for a living.

It's fun to me. I just like buying and selling- trying it figure out how to sell it better - some times people are just promoting it wrong. But agree, not something i could do for a living. I am not good enough at it, but I am impressed with anyone that is!
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,754 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 10:46 PM

I am surprised you co uldn't get the price you wanted for those. I have a waiting list of people who want them here.

#13 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 08:15 AM

Uncle Willie - I have only had those two responses off that ad. It's still running, I just changed the text and photos. keep in mind, I am on the poor side of I-95. Also, because you are out there doing it every day, your investment in time and contacts gives you a huge advantage. I run it with my line of work, one nursery can't give a plant away, and another is selling out of the same plant and needing more. The time invested in making contacts and being out their consistently for people to find, always pays big dividends. You have a skill and market knowledge I don't have! Which is a good thing!
I understand more and more about back pains. I can guarantee you, I want be buying racks anytime soon. :-) My back can use the rest!

#14 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,754 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 01:01 PM

Back pains are no fun. That is why I really need a front end loader or a forklift. Good thing is my wife is 17 years younger than me - she can push me around in a wheel chair when I finally fall apart.

• KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,643 Thanks
  • 7,673 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 03:16 PM

It's fun to me. I just like buying and selling- trying it figure out how to sell it better - some times people are just promoting it wrong.

Have you thought of selling Tupperware . . .    or Avon?

Good thing is my wife is 17 years younger than me - she can push me around in a wheel chair when I finally fall apart.

I, ummmmh . . . Uhhhhh!!! . . .   Well . . .    I thought you were 27!!! 

• KennyP said thank you