26 replies to this topic

#16 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 25, 2015 - 11:16 PM

I didn't think it was a good price. I was going to fab something up. I just didn't want to mess with a PTO shaft. It is good to have someone agree with me that the price is a bit steep. I thought the same when I first read about it. I do like the concept. Good idea on the valves instead of foot control. Thank you.

Not valves. A slot with notches at specific flow rates for the swash plate control lever.

It would also be wise to incorporate centering springs for the control lever so that a quick flip of the lever to get it out of the detent will pop it right back to center, stopping the powered attachment.

Another bonus with this type of set up is that you can reverse the implement for, say, unwinding the dog's chain from the snowblower auger.

Hopefully, the dog wasn't attached at the time! :D

• limebuzz and michael.kitko have said thanks

#17 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 09:49 AM

No power steering, 2wd, 400 lb of full time ballast, 100 cubic yards of material excavated to a depth of 3'? No problem.

Bobinahole_zps3105ea86.jpg

Loaded tires, 2-link tire chains, and the pump mounting rack behind the seat = 400 lb.

I don't know what you would call it, but I call that "digging good". The bucket weighs 210 lb and is 54" wide.

Without a video, I cant tell if it dug good or not. It looks like it got the job done.

Not sure I like the sounds of adding 700# to a 600# GT then putting an extra 300+ in the bucket

#18 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 04:32 PM

Without a video, I cant tell if it dug good or not. It looks like it got the job done.

Not sure I like the sounds of adding 700# to a 600# GT then putting an extra 300+ in the bucket

That GT weighs 1044 lb. The loader, liquid ballast, chains, and pump mount bracket bring it to 2000 lb  on the scales at a local fair and as it it is in the pic. I added another 210 lb to that total.

Due to the friction from the bucket width, it would only excavate about 4 cu-ft of material at a time in that configuration. It filled a 17 cu-ft cart to overflowing with 5 scoops. A narrower bucket with less friction could dig out more volume in that configuration.

In that pic, the ballasted rear tires weighed 198 and 200 lb respectively, without the chains. The tires and rims with no ballast weigh 38 lb each. Weight applied to the tires and rims does not count against the rear axle static load rating.

The rear axle is rated for 1500 lb static load with an additional limit of a maximum of 600 lb per tire. If the max is applied to the tires, a total of 2700 lb can be applied to the ground without exceeding limits.

The 3PH is rated for 400 lb and that load comes off the static load rating. The maximum that I can apply is  a 385 lb tiller.

Add  the tiller and a set of 80 lb wheel weights that haven't been on the tractor since 1996 and the all up weight is 2675 lb with operator and none of the factory limitations are exceeded.

That goes out the window with anything more than 200-300 lb of payload, The front axle also has a load limit, and that has been far exceeded on a regular basis. Maximum lift and travel payload to date was 1250 lb, on level asphalt with a 250 lb back blade on the 3PH. It should have had the tiller and wheel weights installed.

The only risk for exceeding rear axle specs is in the torque department, The final drive is rated for 1250 ft-lb and the hydro is capable of over 2200 with sufficient weight for traction.

Edited by TUDOR, May 27, 2015 - 10:56 PM.

• twostep and michael.kitko have said thanks

#19 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 08:52 AM

Tudor, can I ask what axle that is. I can't seem to find any specs for the 140s axles and I was wondering these specs myself for that tractor. I would like to make my 73 a worker, but I don't want to break her. I was wondering if it is the same axle style or maybe you know about the 140 specs that I just can't seem to find.

#20 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 03:16 PM

The final drive in my GT is a Peerless 2500. Most JD GT's use a Dana (G10 or G20, I think) and a couple of the 4XX GT's  use the Peerless 2600. I haven't found the complete specs on the single speed Dana, but with what I have found, it appears to be comparable to the 2-speed Peerless 2500.

Here are the Peerless specs.

The big difference is that the single speed that the Dana offers will result in only half of the torque generation available with the 2-speed Peerless using the same hydro. That still puts it head and shoulders better than any current model hydro GT with less than a K92 2-speed for torque.

• michael.kitko said thank you

#21 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 05:52 PM

I do agree with older versus newer. I just don't think you can use them like we do compared to the old style. I once pulled a mini hay wagon uphill up a 10% grade with a 1.5 ton to 2 ton stack of oak on the back of it with my 140 and it just needed a bit more throttle than normal. One of my friends was there for that and he said...if I had tried that with my garden tractor, I don't think it would have made it.

Side note, I had a co-worker that talks about his 2014 Craftsman YT???? and he said, not that big of a deal, his could have done it too. His has a cast iron frame and cast iron transmission and a cast iron front axle...blah blah blah...I just had to come home and laugh.

Thank you Tudor

#22 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Cast iron frame/ cast iron transmission... :wtf:  ( cant find the BS flag)

• michael.kitko said thank you

#23 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 12:46 AM

I do agree with older versus newer. I just don't think you can use them like we do compared to the old style. I once pulled a mini hay wagon uphill up a 10% grade with a 1.5 ton to 2 ton stack of oak on the back of it with my 140 and it just needed a bit more throttle than normal. One of my friends was there for that and he said...if I had tried that with my garden tractor, I don't think it would have made it.

Side note, I had a co-worker that talks about his 2014 Craftsman YT???? and he said, not that big of a deal, his could have done it too. His has a cast iron frame and cast iron transmission and a cast iron front axle...blah blah blah...I just had to come home and laugh.

Thank you Tudor

No not underestimate the capabilities of newer or older GT's! They will do more than you will believe possible, if you would only give them a chance. Two tons on wheels is not a big load for a Sundstrand hydro. My MF 1655 weighs almost that much with a full payload in the bucket and max ballast.

As I was backing up to our 18', 3600 lb, travel trailer with my MF12H GT with FEL, a visitor next door stated that the little tractor couldn't pull that big trailer. He choked on his words 20 seconds later when the combination hit the tractor's top speed of 8 mph.

How about towing a 25,000 lb aircraft with a newer GT?

http://www.tiffinair...craftTugs3.aspx

• Alc, KennyP and michael.kitko have said thanks

#24 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 02:55 AM

They took the time to remove the front axle, but didnt have 30 seconds to buzz off the front deck hanger with a plasma cutter :wtf:  

#25 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 04:19 AM

Cast iron frame/ cast iron transmission... :wtf:  ( cant find the BS flag

I wish I was making that up. He also said that he can't wait to buy the bolt on hydraulic kit that adds hydraulics to lift the deck and front and rear hitches. Needless to say, he thinks he has to talk to me a lot because of this and he is a one-upper, which makes it fun, so much fun.

Tudor, I wasn't really underestimating the newer vs. older. I do like to baby mine a bit. I mean she is old and I don't want to break her. I did grow up around heavy equipment, that got put through the ringer time and time again. I just think it is funny when you get these guys that claim to have a GT when they really have a YT or LT and they try to one up us or tell us that we can't do certain things. I don't think most people realize that our old ones in the current market would be about what the new real garden tractors are priced at, not the ones that most company's sell at the big box stores. I like being around guys on this site because we can have a good conversation about it.

I got asked if I wouldn't mind bringing over my tractor to a house to flatten some humps out in a yard. The same guy listed above was standing there and offered his assistance and said he would be right over with his YT4500 and he would move some dirt and use his tiller attachment to break it up. Again, a little laughter was had at home.

• Alc said thank you

#26 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 11:18 PM

They took the time to remove the front axle, but didnt have 30 seconds to buzz off the front deck hanger with a plasma cutter :wtf:  

Possible so that a front blade can be installed for clearing snow from the hangar entrances? Traction certainly won't be a problem, although steering might unless a sand spreader or deicing sprayer is added to the rear half. When you can lift 2.5 tons a whole foot with the hydraulics on that nose wheel carrier, many things come to mind.

Hangar doors are noted for being a bit wider than garage doors. A wide turning radius is not really a problem at airports, and front blades can be angled.

Old school, don't destroy parts that you may need in the future! If you don't want it, unbolt it so someone else can use it. It can easily be converted back to a GT. The only thing missing is the front axle. 

Edited by TUDOR, May 31, 2015 - 11:33 PM.

#27 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 03:38 AM

Here is a picture of something that popped up on Facebook this morning...very similar to what I am working on...I personally took it as a sign...

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled.jpg