• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 boilermanc OFFLINE  

boilermanc
  • Member No: 61251
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hi all, I have an issue with my BGB. Looks like someone has modded this setup and I have the wrong pulley. I am trying to find out the right pulley that goes on this and where I might find it?

thanks!

IMAG1054.jpg

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 07:34 PM

You can probably get help in the manual section here. Someone will be along to help you find it better than I can.

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Which pulley are you thinking is wrong?  Looks like the pulley on the BGB may be wrong. to small?  How big around it the pulley?  I have a few of these on a shelf out back or you could go to your nearest tractor supply, they have a pretty good selection of pulleys that should fit the bill.  I will go out tomorrow and measure the top pulley on my big ten, should be the same.

Pete

#4 boilermanc OFFLINE  

boilermanc
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Which pulley are you thinking is wrong?  Looks like the pulley on the BGB may be wrong. to small?  How big around it the pulley?  I have a few of these on a shelf out back or you could go to your nearest tractor supply, they have a pretty good selection of pulleys that should fit the bill.  I will go out tomorrow and measure the top pulley on my big ten, should be the same.

Pete

thanks! i can measure in the morning as well. where i am running into an issue is with the belt. i have tired a 29" belt but it is wayyyy too big. what is on there now is a 1/2" by 27" belt but it is till too small. i can take my finger and easily move the belt together. i have tired to adjust with the pto pin but it does not get tight. i do have the lever for the system engaged in the back so i know that is set correctly. so some guys were thinking maybe the pulley is wrong. The top one is the one in question.

#5 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 09:25 PM

First of all , look at how low the belt rides in the two pulleys. As you can also see the shaft is not the shaft normally seen on a 3300 series tractor. It is off a later series RBT which indicated that likely the pulley was changed because the ID of the original pulley is too small for the new shaft. It looks like the pulleys are for 5/8" belts. just my observations. I don't think the diameter of the pulley on the B10 is going to be germaine. Someone with a 3300 series tractor needs to respond with dimensions on both pulleys. Checking the part number gives no clue to size and apparently is NLA from Simplicity. Even so I doubt the original part would fit.

Edited by skunkhome, August 08, 2014 - 09:32 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 07:24 AM

Welcome to GTT. By coincidence, I brought my 3310 into the garage the other day. I recently bought it and the varidrive seems to be stuck. I'll go out and measure the pulleys.

Here is a pic of mine:

SD530762.JPG

The top pulley is 7/8" id and a hair under 4 5/16" od. The bottom pulley is 7/8" id and 4" od. The idler pulley is 2" od on the wearing area. I had a hard time getting at the top pulley because of the guard and my back is still tender. There may be a problem with the top measurement but I did try it 3 times.

These weird sizes are going to make me carefull about the pulleys that I have.

I hope this helps. Good Luck, Rick

This is my sons' B10:

SD530763.JPG

Edited by boyscout862, August 09, 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#7 boilermanc OFFLINE  

boilermanc
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Welcome to GTT. By coincidence, I brought my 3310 into the garage the other day. I recently bought it and the varidrive seems to be stuck. I'll go out and measure the pulleys.

Here is a pic of mine:

attachicon.gifSD530762.JPG

The top pulley is 7/8" id and a hair under 4 5/16" od. The bottom pulley is 7/8" id and 4" od. The idler pulley is 2" od on the wearing area. I had a hard time getting at the top pulley because of the guard and my back is still tender. There may be a problem with the top measurement but I did try it 3 times.

These weird sizes are going to make me carefull about the pulleys that I have.

I hope this helps. Good Luck, Rick

This is my sons' B10:

attachicon.gifSD530763.JPG

Thanks for the pictures! My pulley on top is 4" od and 3/4" id. What size belt are you running? Also, I have been posting on another forum and your picture helped with something we were trying to figure out. Looks like your belt runs outside the idler? Keep in mind mine was broken so didn't have a record of how it ran through the pulleys so I used a picture from the parts catalog that shows the belt outside? So I had been thinking you would pull that idler toward the back of the tractor to increase the tension but maybe you are to push the idler to the front for tension? That may be my problem!

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:52 AM

I think mine is supposed to run inside but since the mower is very low on priority I haven't even worried about it. The idler moves toward the rear when engaged so my belt is on the wrong side. I don't know the length of the belt. I bring my tractors on a trailer to my local NAPA and we figure it out. That is if I don't have an old belt to measure from. 

I suspect that one of us has a replacement bevel gear box. It seems that the difference in diameter should be insignificant. My machine has a replacement engine and may have other replaced components. I bought it for parts but then decided to try and fix it.

Let us know how you make out. Good Luck, Rick

#9 boilermanc OFFLINE  

boilermanc
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, think I am figuring out that the belt does need to run on the inside of the pulley and when you engage the clutch lever to the front of the tractor then it pulls the idler to the back and tightens the belt. Trying to get the right belt and adjusting that idler so that it pulls tight seems to be what i need to figure out. 

any other suggestions and pictures is most helpful!!

#10 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 03:23 PM

I'm with Phil...your pulley up top should be around 4.5"OD and designed for narrower belt.  That will take up most of your slack.

• skunkhome said thank you

#11 boilermanc OFFLINE  

boilermanc
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Alright! Progress! I ordered the 4.5 and installed it. I also got a belt shield. An voila! Works like a champ! 

Now, the next problem... while testing tonight the key fell out! I knew i should have loctite the screw in. Dang. Where do you get the key? Would Lowes have one in their stash? 

Thanks for everyones help!

IMAG1134.jpg

IMAG1140.jpg

IMAG1142.jpg

IMAG1143.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted August 22, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Any good hardware store will have key stock on hand, you may need to cut it to length but  good hack saw is all you need.  I forget to measure my pulley;s for you, sorry about that but it looks like everyone else stepped up in y place.  Glad you got it to work for you :thumbs:

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks