Homemade Fishing Lures

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,212 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 06:26 AM

Best bass lure I ever used was a hook through a piece of cork, wrapped in aluminum foil with a small sinker on it for weight. Use to slay 'em in the ponds in northeastern NC when I was a kid.

• LilysDad said thank you

#17 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted August 17, 2014 - 02:57 AM

I'm thinking about making some crankbaits for Christmas presents. The hard part is getting the hardware. Does anyone have a supplier they prefer? There are places on the 'net, but I don't know who to chose.

This is just my opinion now. If you're making them as a gift and not really meant to be used I would make the spinners, or bills myself. I've cut brass from shell casings, pounded out lead for body weights and twisted my own wire with beads. A hand made jig / lure is (to me) a precious thing and though would be great to be actually used has more value as a piece of hand made art. You gonna buy a dozen bills, spinners, spoons just to make a few plugs? I only have a few flies my Dad tied that I will never hit the water with.

Edited by rust addict, August 17, 2014 - 03:01 AM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#18 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,227 Thanks
  • 7,458 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 12:36 PM

Here are a couple of lures I have made. I won't show you the duds I tossed. :D

For me, the hardest part was the painting. I have a HF air brush, the better one. It leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't adjust down very well. Still, if you want to make these for your own use, you could use a spray can or a brush. The fish don't care if it has runs.

One note; you can get the 2mm poly carbonate for the lip at Lowes.