• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 08:58 AM

Our local tractor show sounds very similar.
We do some fundraising thru the year, sell tickets on some stuff, a silent auction during the show (donated items mainly), and sell food at the grounds exclusively. No other food vendors allowed.

We do not charge admission of any kind and have a donations jar on a couple of counters.

The club is not a rich one, but the incoming has never not met the outgoing and often we have some extra left at the end of the year some of which gets Donated to the local food bank charity.

The local shows that do charge admission, do not charge exhibitors... Period.

I would make a suggestion to the organizers. Exhibitors and demonstrators get in free, but if you have the good will of a free ticket, some guys will drop a little in the donations jar if they've had a good time and believe the cause is worthy.
  • GTTinkerer, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 09:27 AM

I agree with MH81, the donation jar is a good idea. Our local group puts on fall suppers etc. and those who serve the meal and donate the food eat for free. We donate articles to silent auctions and have other raffles as well for door prises, and most of us buy tickets on these and contribute in this way too. The "free" food is more than compensated for, and a good time is had by all.
  • MH81 said thank you

#18 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 05:30 PM

Our local tractor show sounds very similar.
We do some fundraising thru the year, sell tickets on some stuff, a silent auction during the show (donated items mainly), and sell food at the grounds exclusively. No other food vendors allowed.

We do not charge admission of any kind and have a donations jar on a couple of counters.

Our Lions Club Tractor Show is pretty similar. We make our money from food sales and a 50/50 draw down. Also we solicit  cash donations from businesses. For the last few years we have tried to grow, having more attractions; the ReMax hot air balloon rides, antique tractor pulls, old time baseball, etc. Each year it cost us more money and we had anxiety attacks. . . . . and each year we made more money. Another thing that brings the farmers in is the times we have had Max Armstrong attend as the parade marshall. Max is a long time celebrity and radio host on the Chicago Ag radio Station along with Orion Samuelson(who we have also had attend).

Our single biggest issue is getting enough volunteers to do everything. The Lions, like many volunteer organizations, has trouble getting members these days.

• MH81 said thank you

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 07:04 PM

The Lions, like many volunteer organizations, has trouble getting members these days.

I thought about joining the local chapter. They provide some very worthy services and the local park is sponsored by them... However; by the time I do the local and national dues, I would rather donate my time without having to pay to do so.

#20 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 07:14 PM

I thought about joining the local chapter.

As I said, our club at least would be thrilled if you even volunteered as a non-member for the big events.

• MH81 said thank you

#21 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 08:59 PM

Well, as in all things people don't like people. Unfortunately its those who have wonderful ideas that usually seem unheard. I spoke to a few members that have had great ideas and have been ignored by the "board" as they describe it. The board consists of a few people who have all the control. I haven't been with this group long enough to know how it works but I have formed my opinion on who leads, who follows close, and those that quietly protest. I think I'm fast falling into the group that quietly protests. Sadly I see a lot of room for issues with the current "management" so to speak. There's a huge lack of communication between those who work hard to get things ready and those who work hard to make sure those who work hard are doing it right.

There's a lack of tools for doing repairs, its up to the volunteers to bring their own even though there is a garage full of tools I'm told.

There's a lack of assertiveness among the members to stand up and say something needs changed.

I'm going to ride this out and see how it goes.

I have a story for you today. I was driving my grandfather's tractor, pulling the "people mover" to shuttle people around. I had another member get on my case for stopping to use the outhouse. This enraged me, I understand as a volunteer I need to do my duty but on the same level I am only a volunteer. I'm using a tractor that I should have left home in the first place because of this ordeal. Second I'm burning my own fuel. I think I decide when that tractor is running and not running. I shut down after 2pm because of a lack of riders. I was asked why I stopped, I explained why and another member agreed with me. I was able to eat at that point and get some water.
  • Gtractor, MH81, GTTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#22 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 10:21 PM

I'D SWEAR YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT MY LOCAL SHOW!!!!!!!!  :(

Only I know its not until next month.  :deadhorse:

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 10, 2014 - 06:53 AM

I haven't been with this group long enough to know how it works but I have formed my opinion. . . 

I think I'm fast falling into the group that quietly protests.
 I'm going to ride this out and see how it goes.

Why would you join a group and then start trying to fix it? Why not just follow orders and leave the result to others? 

I spent years of employment as a group/project leader with a crew of passive-aggressive people who all thought they could do things better than me.