22 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 08:49 PM

I help out at a local heritage festival. This is my first year volunteering. I talked to my grandpa about bringing one of our old tractors to help at the show.

Grandpa asked me if he got a ticket to get in (free admittance) like myself because he's volunteering his tractor.

I asked today and was told no.

Now he's kind of upset and told me I may not be able to bring the tractor. Admittance is $8 for all weekend so its not that much. But he feels its a lot of wear and tear on that tractor to be there. And he's not being compensated for even a little bit of that.

Are we really out of line thinking my grandpa's wrong to ask for admittance ticket for lending his tractor?
  • oldedeeres and toppop52 have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,686 Thanks
  • 8,884 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Not one bit. But if it's a festival, wouldn't there be a half dozen tractors and two dozen trucks there already?
  • GTTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 10:37 PM

Not one bit. But if it's a festival, wouldn't there be a half dozen tractors and two dozen trucks there already?

There's a lot of tractors there but its very each person brings there tractors just for show, or just to demonstrate there machinery. The "festival" doesn't have any of its own machinery, volunteers are so short that last year demonstrations were cancelled for parts of the day.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 10:42 PM

Two ways you can solve this.
Go back and say Grandpa and his tractor are a package deal OR you pay the $8 and never tell a soul.

If neither, Grandpa will be keeping the tractor and his $8 at home.
  • HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,582 Thanks
  • 3,898 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 11:29 PM

Sounds like the officials of the festival are about to rescue failure from the brink of success.  With that kind of thinking they won't have a festival in a couple more years. 

I bet those officials used to run a car show. 

:(

• Alc, GTTinkerer, JDBrian and 6 others have said thanks

#6 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 05:26 AM

Yeah, they must of ran a car show !!!

• Gtractor said thank you

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Of course, if grandpa gets a free ticket, everyone will want one. Still, that's not much to pay out for the value received. It sounds like someone in charge has a control issue.

• Gtractor, GTTinkerer, NJKen and 1 other said thanks

#8 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 06:26 AM

I'm a long time member and co founder of a charity car club and was president for a number of years, we've donated well north of $200,000 in the last 10 years to local needy families with medical issues. so yeah, car people don't mind spending $10 to show the car they may have $20,000-$50,000 in, while the onlookers get in free. All we ask is donations. Putting on a car show or a festival is not to benefit the volunteers monetarily, it's to help a cause. If you don't feel the cause is worthwhile, keep your money and your tractor/car at home.

• Gtractor and NJKen have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 09:02 AM

Sounds like the officials of the festival are about to rescue failure from the brink of success.  With that kind of thinking they won't have a festival in a couple more years. 

I bet those officials used to run a car show. 

:(

I agree, they can't see the forest through the trees!

Two ways you can solve this.
Go back and say Grandpa and his tractor are a package deal OR you pay the $8 and never tell a soul.

If neither, Grandpa will be keeping the tractor and his $8 at home.

The bottom line is that it is Grandpa's tractor and if he feel he should have free admission then that is his right.  It sounds like the organizers are not really thinking this whole thing through.  I think your best option is Alan's suggestion.

• Gtractor said thank you

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 09:23 AM

The first question that comesa to mind is do other exhibitors get free admission? If so, then grandpa should exhibit the tractor and let you use it.

#11 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Most of the people doing the demonstrations are members of the organization. I'm a "member" of the organization so I get in for "free" because I paid the member dues and volunteered. Grandpa how ever doesn't want to be a member or volunteer his time, just let me use the tractor.

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 07:09 PM

I agree with ol grandpa.  I'd feel the same way.  He isn't expecting a 100 bucks, just an 8 dollar ticket for the use of his tractor.

He is "donating" the use of his tractor to help the festival make money.  Not only is it wear and tear on the tractor, but the fuel to get it there, and the fuel it uses there I think that is worth at a min a free ticket.

Festival cancels demonstrations, probably a big part of the festival that draws in many tickets.

Give out free tickets to the people who do(or allow the equipment to be used) the demonstrations or potentially lose ticket sales.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Our fairs and festivals have gotten so expensive that its not even worth going to them anymore.  Dollar per entertainment value is so low its not even worth it.

In the same aspect I also agree with toppop.  If the proceeds from the festival go to a charity or cause then no I don't agree with him.  I would donate the use of my tractor and the efforts to get it there if the money went to something worth while.  A park, needy people, food banks, ect ect.  But, if it is lining someone's pocket with some cash then no.

Edited by toomanytoys84, August 08, 2014 - 07:12 PM.

• Gtractor, superaben, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#13 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 07:33 PM

I agree with ol grandpa.  I'd feel the same way.  He isn't expecting a 100 bucks, just an 8 dollar ticket for the use of his tractor.

He is "donating" the use of his tractor to help the festival make money.  Not only is it wear and tear on the tractor, but the fuel to get it there, and the fuel it uses there I think that is worth at a min a free ticket.

Festival cancels demonstrations, probably a big part of the festival that draws in many tickets.

Give out free tickets to the people who do(or allow the equipment to be used) the demonstrations or potentially lose ticket sales.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Our fairs and festivals have gotten so expensive that its not even worth going to them anymore.  Dollar per entertainment value is so low its not even worth it.

In the same aspect I also agree with toppop.  If the proceeds from the festival go to a charity or cause then no I don't agree with him.  I would donate the use of my tractor and the efforts to get it there if the money went to something worth while.  A park, needy people, food banks, ect ect.  But, if it is lining someone's pocket with some cash then no.

I agree wholeheartedly!

#14 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 10:20 PM

The festivals earnings go into an account to pay for upgrades to the grounds, some materials, and paying for the land. Everything else is volunteered, like mowing, people's time, etc...

As far as I know the show needs more donations to keep going then it can think of giving out.

The entire show is based on people bringing things in for demonstrations except for a few little things that have been donated over the years.
  • toppop52 said thank you

#15 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted August 09, 2014 - 08:47 AM

That's what I figured it was about. People seem to have trouble with the concept of volunteering for good causes, charitable work and donations for the truly needy and sharing what we prize with others and not expecting compensation. I'm very hard core conservative and those things are part of the foundation of my beliefs. We should take care of those in true need and the government should mind it's business of running the infrastructure and military.

• GTTinkerer, Username and oldedeeres have said thanks