• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chris1044 OFFLINE  

chris1044

• Member No: 1989
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 09:56 AM

Newbie checking in...good to see other people appreciate this old iron as well.

I've got a 68' B110 that I'm just starting to tear apart for a restoration. It ran 6+ years ago, was put into storage, and has sat ever since (outside under a lean-too).

I plan to freshen up the engine (not sure if the valves are adjustable??), re-paint it, fix the major steering slop, etc.

But, I have the following questions:

1) Paint - short of going to a paint store with some paint from it and having them mix up some stuff to shoot, is there any type of spray paint out there available for it? (I'm horrible at shooting, but can do it if I have to)

2) Decals - would like them to be there, and right now taping them off is the only thing I know of that will allow me to keep them..there aren't any reproductions out there, right?

3) Rear brake "shoe"....the one on the tractor is fairly worn and de-laminated half way around..replacements??

4) Gas tank - the one on it is rusted out internally, bad. I can try to cut/reform another bottom half and graft it to the top, but before I go to that extent, is there any replacements out there?

5) Anything else I should be aware of??

I've done plenty of engine builds/resto's on cars, but this is my first tractor...I figure if I can get away with 500 into it, I'm much better off than those Chinese "tractors" they sell at home depot and the like.

#2 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 10:00 AM

:welcometogttalk: Nice to have you on the site. I'm sure some of our members will be able to answer your questions.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 10:28 AM

Newbie checking in...good to see other people appreciate this old iron as well.

I've got a 68' B110 that I'm just starting to tear apart for a restoration. It ran 6+ years ago, was put into storage, and has sat ever since (outside under a lean-too).

I plan to freshen up the engine (not sure if the valves are adjustable??), re-paint it, fix the major steering slop, etc.

But, I have the following questions:

1) Paint - short of going to a paint store with some paint from it and having them mix up some stuff to shoot, is there any type of spray paint out there available for it? (I'm horrible at shooting, but can do it if I have to)

2) Decals - would like them to be there, and right now taping them off is the only thing I know of that will allow me to keep them..there aren't any reproductions out there, right?

3) Rear brake "shoe"....the one on the tractor is fairly worn and de-laminated half way around..replacements??

4) Gas tank - the one on it is rusted out internally, bad. I can try to cut/reform another bottom half and graft it to the top, but before I go to that extent, is there any replacements out there?

5) Anything else I should be aware of??

I've done plenty of engine builds/resto's on cars, but this is my first tractor...I figure if I can get away with 500 into it, I'm much better off than those Chinese "tractors" they sell at home depot and the like.

Welcome to GTtalk.

For the decals reproduction decals are available but I can't promise they would be "in stock". One of our members olcowhand makes decals and there are also some other sources like Maple Hunter and a few others. Some of the Allis guys can help you out better then I can.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 11:45 AM

chris1044:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 04:28 PM

:wave: chris1044 Welcome to GTTalk! It's great that you've found us! I can't help with your inquiries, But someone should be along shortly. Meantime, I hope that you enjoy the forum!

#6 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:22 PM

I will post an answer to question 2. These folks have the decals you need. Allis Chalmers B-110 . We have purchased from them ourselves and have been very satisfied with them. There may be other sources for decals, but this is the one I know about. Hope it helps .

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 09:24 PM

Neat little tractors. I have a B112. If yours has the variable speed, you might want to look over the bearings there. Also, a lot of bevel gears have been replaced over the years, check for slop there.

Many of the parts are online & thru Allis or Simplicity. You might ck with Allis to see if they have paint or paint codes.

BTW: :welcome: to the Forum & don't forget the pics.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 09:44 PM

chris,:welcometogttalk:

Welcome to the "GREATEST SITE ON EARTH" for Gt's anyway. For most all your used parts, I would look at ebay, there are several dealers there, that have the parts you mentioned above in your list.
As for paint, search the net for paint codes for your tractor.. or use this link.

Paint