sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 09:35 PM

I started working on this tractor a couple of days ago, because I have a transaxle I am trying to swap out with a guy up in PA. This tractor came in a trade with a "good D4-10" as a parts tractor. I decided to see if it would run since it looked complete just rusty. Replaced the carb with one I knew was working, turned the motor.....no compression. Figured it was a sticking exhaust valve. Pulled the head and sure enough the exhaust valve was stuck in the up position.......coated it with PB blaster and decided to work on it the next evening.....next day.....rotated the motor but still no movement. Took a rubber mallet and gently tapped the valve till it closed......rotated the motor again till it was open.....another coating of pb blaster and let it sit another day....next day...with the help of the rubber mallet and opening and manual closing the exhaust valve several times, I got it working......put it back together.......couple of cranks and she was running....of course a lot of smoke since I had been using pb blaster to help clean up the piston head, etc.....

This motor was rebuilt since the piston is a .030 piston. I am getting oil leaking from the crankcase vent area......took the cover off - made sure there were no obstructions, plan on putting a new gasket and close up tomorrow. If this does not fix the problem....what is my next step??

Second issue is it will not run unless a good battery is hooked up to it. It is not charging according to the ammeter....maybe even negative instead of positive. So I should first check that the regulator and solenoid are well grounded?? If that does not fix the problem, what is my next step??

thanks,

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 06:02 AM

Go to the Manuals Section and download the manual. There should be a step by step troubleshooting guide in it. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Sometimes the little metal strip in the valve cover will get dirt in it and not seal properly, other times they can get bent and let oil seep through instead of making a vacuum.

For electrical make sure all contacts are grounded. You should be getting between 13-14 volts at the battery with a tester when the engine is running, if your getting 12 or less you have some issues somewhere.

Make sure you get a good battery a dead or dying battery will quickly kill these delco remy starters.

• sacsr said thank you

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 06:25 AM

Thanks I noticed there was a bend in the metal strip where the screw went through. I did clean it up and tighten it back down - will see if that works.
I was hoping/thinking it was a ground issue-

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 07:16 AM

There is also a procedure that can be done to try and cure a faulty breather reed, While the engine is running put your finger over the tube and hold for about 20 seconds, If oil leak continues wait 5 minutes then do it again, if that still hasnt cleared up the oil leak remove breather to inspect,clean or replace.

They rarely go bad though and often this procedure will cure the leak. I do have the reeds in stock if you need one.

• sacsr and trowel have said thanks

#6 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 03:06 PM

If you ground the "F" terminal on the starter / generator, the generator output should go to full charge. If it does, the regulator is defective, if it doesn't go to full charge, the field coil in the starter generator is defective.

• olcowhand, sacsr and trowel have said thanks

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 08:55 PM

One down one to go. The oil leaking was caused by the pipe and hose were stopped up. Cleaned both out and used a new gasket no oil!
I had to stop this project to work on my sears mower that decided to pour gas out of the carb as it was running.
But this motor starts every time and seems to run pretty well, this motor will either be sold or put on the shelf as a backup. The rear end is promised to a guy up in PA.
Bud when you say "ground" the F terminal, do I take the wire off and ground it- or do I take a screw driver and touch both the terminal and the starter/generator at the same time?

#8 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 11:18 AM

With the engine running, using a clip lead, just attach one end to the "F" terminal (without removing the wire) and the other end to any ground while monitoring the battery voltage (or looking at the amp meter). You could just ground it with a screw driver too.

• sacsr said thank you