Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Variable speed adjustment on the Massey MF 12.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 05:10 PM

Do you mean it won't move into 5th, or there isn't any difference between 4th and 5th?

You may want to look at the shims on the rear pulley if there isn't any difference.

#17 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 05:21 PM

I will have to check the belt. I don't remember if it looked really worn or not. Do any of yas know how expensive replacements are or if they are readily available?

I put new belts on mine last year....about $80 at the MF dealer up here.....

Before I put the belts on, I had the same symptoms you had....new belts fixed it right up. If you are going to grease the varidrive pulley, dont overdo it....you dont want the grease getting on the belts

#18 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 12:57 PM

I was having the same problem of it not going into park and stop. I tried to make the adjustments like the manual says but now I can't get it to clutch so I can get it in gear. I have new belts and I have the rear tightner adjusted but unless I put it in park it will not stop the belts. I think I understand what the manual is talking about in relationship between 2 and 3 but I am not sure. Part of my problem was the brake was not adjusted right. I wish I had found that first before I tried to adjust that nut, I think I have it out of whack now and I have to get it back so I can shift gears.

#19 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hi Dan,
You do need to have the brake lever disconnected when doing the adjustment. Then, as the manual says, have it set so the brake won't quite reattach when in park. Doesn't take much to keep the various levers from moving correctly. Also, if the guard belts are not installed, the belt will not stop moving. The guard belt holds things just so, so the belt will stop moving.

Howard

#20 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thanks, I am getting closer. I have it working but it is not just right and it does not re;ease smoothly. When I ease the clutch out it jumps like there is very little play in it. I had the brake rod off the second time I adjusted it and I have all the guards in place. I will keep tinkering with it.

#21 grasmuise OFFLINE  

grasmuise
  • Member No: 39043
  • 11 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Can anybody supply me with the Part number and specs of the Variable Speed Drive Pulleymsystem on the MF10 Lawn Tractor?

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:40 AM

You can look up the parts numbers at Agcopartsbooks.com and enter as a guest.  Search for 10 tractor and select Massey Ferguson as the brand.  Welcome to GTTalk, would love to hear more from you.  Here is a picture with the clutch and some numbers.  Hard to say what might still be available after all these years though.

Clutch pics.png

#23 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:54 AM

I am still having problems with the Vari Speed Drive. I have followed the instructions to the T on adjusting it but still the only way I can get it in gear is to put it in park and then put the tranny in gear. Then when I do let the clutch out it always pops a wheelie any ideas or something I am over looking.

The whole drive assy was taken apart cleaned and greased, I have two new Massey brand belts.

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Couple of Q's,

Are these OEM Massey, or Aftermarket Massey?

How many shims do you have between the rear pullies?

When you push the peddle all the way forward, is the brake fully engaged?

#25 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 01:33 PM

That is great info broken2 thank you for the information, I might have to make sticky thread to put all the posts with part numbers and exchange numbers so we have them for reference for everyone.

On the MF 10 vari drive belts, one of them can be cross referenced to a gates. The second one will not cross to anything.

They are a slightly odd pitch and width thus  nearly impossible to cross over.

I have posted a message  (SEE A&I Belts)    http://gardentractor...26138-ai-belts/

on how to order the original belts  from the manufacturer A&I and yes you are looking at a $100.00 for the pair

Good luck

Edited by Petenpole, August 19, 2013 - 01:35 PM.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#26 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Yes both belts are Massey Ferguson we still had new old stock from when we were a Massey dealer. I think there are 3 shims in the rear but not positive. I think the brake engages when it is all the way forward it is just that it acts like the clutch is not disengaging. 

• MH81 said thank you

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:19 PM

If you don't have enough shimming in there, the clutching can't happen... Also, if the ENTIRE tin work up around the engine pullies isn't there... You can adjust all day and never get there.

If the brakes aren't engaging and or engaging to soon... That will cause the grinding. I would almost bet on the latter because it will keep the clutching from occurring but the "p" setting may still work... And that's what you seem to be describing.
  • IamSherwood and DanP have said thanks

#28 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:56 AM

When it is in Park should I be able to push the clutch down? I can't it is rock solid when in Park.

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 07:30 AM

I think you're brake is set a turn to tight?
You might be able to disconnect the rod and see if the clutching works right, just don't let it hang on the ground in case the tractor moves.
  • IamSherwood and DanP have said thanks

#30 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 07:53 PM

THANK YOU MH81 big time I adjusted the brake so it didn't engage as soon and it solved the problem, 2 rounds. 

I love this site, if you have a problem some one will help you. It might take a few times but someone will figure it out. Thanks again!

• MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks