Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Variable speed adjustment on the Massey MF 12.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 10:19 AM

Has any of you done the adjustment procedure on the variable speed Masseys? I have the manual and it looks like it shouldn't be too bad but my MF12 is due for it. Ever since I got it, it doesn't have the park position and now when you are in position 1 it slips.

I also want to take the variable pulley off and clean it and grease it. I know I am going to end up using the tractor before I have a chance to restore it and I would like to take care of these little quirks beforehand.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 11:02 AM

Only had an MF10 for a short time & never needed attention. Wish I could help. Could be the tension pulley on the rear isn't pulling snug?? Been so long, I may be totally off base about there being a rear tension pulley.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 11:20 AM

I am pretty sure there is a tension pulley on the rear but I don't think it has much to do with the slipping. I think most of it may be with the adjustment of the variable speed. Like when I am in first it is almost like having it in park or something.

#4 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 01:25 PM

Sorry, I'm no help with the vari drive. I will need to completely rebuild my 66 MF-10 drive. So, I am also interested in how to adjust it.

#5 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 05:48 PM

As for the slipping check to make sure the belt that comes off the engine is not too narrow (worn down) and that it rubs on the sides of the crank pulley not the bottom. Noticed this on my 66, my belt is worn and a lot narrower than my spare belt.

Edited by DH1, March 04, 2010 - 08:24 PM.

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 09:21 PM

I also want to take the variable pulley off and clean it and grease it. I know I am going to end up using the tractor before I have a chance to restore it and I would like to take care of these little quirks beforehand.

What i did with my MF10 is because it needs grease every now and then if you look closely you'll see I cut a slot in the side of the floor [running board] and put a grease fitting into the end of the shaft.You have to kinda cut it in a squiggly kinda way as thats the way it moves behind the floor board.As for it slipping the belt does have to be the proper width or it will slip. Its been awhile since I did that to mine and this was the best picture I have of the slot cut into the side.I may be wrong here its been awhile but the rear belt is the clutch, so the tension should be tight on this belt when the pedal isn't pressed in.Sorry I can't offer much more then this.Larry,

Attached Thumbnails

• MF 10   w plough (.jpg

Edited by massey driver, March 02, 2010 - 09:29 PM.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 06, 2010 - 07:21 PM

I will have to check the belt. I don't remember if it looked really worn or not. Do any of yas know how expensive replacements are or if they are readily available?

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 06, 2010 - 07:45 PM

I hear there expensive, how much I don't know, I bought 3 varidrive tractors and all of them came with spare belts, I have 5 sets of belts for the 2 tractors I now have.

Edited by DH1, March 09, 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 11:45 AM

That is great info broken2 thank you for the information, I might have to make sticky thread to put all the posts with part numbers and exchange numbers so we have them for reference for everyone.

#10 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 09, 2010 - 01:57 PM

I bought variable drive belts from Lawn Mower Parts Front belt#515382m1 $32.21 / Rear belt#515383m1 $27.33 I don't recall the shipping cost. They are good quality,made in USA Agco belts with the massey part# right on the belt.

I fixed the link to Lawn Mower Parts in my previous post. For some reason it changed when I pasted it. I'm computer challenged.

#11 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 10, 2010 - 09:38 PM

thank you very much for the part numbers. just what i needed

#12 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted March 13, 2010 - 10:13 AM

I do have the Massey Ferguson 10/12 service manual, it shows how to adjust the variable drive assembly. Maybe we can post the manual up for everyone. It wasn't easy for me to find. I shipped it here from Canada!

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 13, 2010 - 02:24 PM

I think we do have it already in the manuals section, if not maybe if you don't mind you can upload it. I have the manual, I just wanted to get some ideas from other people on their experience with adjusting it.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:18 AM

I went to do the adjustment on the variable speed on the 12 this weekend. I figured out why I could never get the variable lever into the park position, the spring for the tension pulley on the secondary belt was binding from rust. I sprayed a bunch of pb blaster over the spring and shaft and kept working the pulley to loosen the rust and now the pulley has pretty smooth motion to it.

As for the variable adjustment in the manual it references to turn the adjustment nut (1) clockwise until there is no play between no's 2 and 3 and for the life of me I can't figure out what they mean, the one piece doesn't even exist on mine.

I ended up letting it go and all speeds seem to work fine and now I also have the park position so I guess I can leave it be. I can always just do trial and error if I needed to.

#15 bryanrohling OFFLINE  

bryanrohling

• Member No: 2849
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 04:15 PM

If you look in the service manual at the adjustment section, it explains it pretty clearly. I have a mf10 that does not move into the 5th speed position on the vari-speed control. I haven't tried to adjust it yet, but I hope it does the trick.