• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 08:20 AM

Since this weekend there racing at Watkins Glen International an the traffic is slowly starting, it made me wonder who else live near a track an.has to deal with more traffic then normal???

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 08:24 AM

We live about 7 miles from our local race track, but off the access route.  For us it isn't the traffic, it is the screaming engines that run until midnight Fridays & Saturdays all summer long.  They are 7 miles away, but they sound like they are 7 feet away.

#3 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Thankfully I am an hour and half from Ky Speedway, I couldn't imagine dealing with all that traffic. It is only a few times a year though.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#4 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 09:39 AM

Were about 10 min from the glen I can hear the cars on my front porch an were right off the main road

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 11:20 AM

I only wish I lived close to a NASCAR track.

#6 6point0 VHO OFFLINE  

6point0 VHO
  • Member No: 53777
  • 40 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 12:16 PM

I live about 15 minutes from Dover International Speedway...traffic on race weekends is almost intolerable. :wallbanging: :shoot3: Good thing I know all the back roads.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#7 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 12:48 PM

We live about 7 miles from our local race track, but off the access route.  For us it isn't the traffic, it is the screaming engines that run until midnight Fridays & Saturdays all summer long.  They are 7 miles away, but they sound like they are 7 feet away.

Who dosent love the sound of highly tuned engine roaring at night?

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 12:59 PM

We have Atlanta Motor speedway to our east and Talladega motor speedway to our west.  We are about 1/2 between the two.  We can always tell when Talladega is running because I-20 get heavy with traffic and the food places get packed at the exits.  But all in all when they are running races it doesn't bother us.  I do hear on the news on raced day at Atlanta the traffic is a nightmare.

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 01:08 PM

They were going to put a big track in between Aurora and Plano, IL, an area of rural homes and farms on narrow two lane roads. They wanted to put in a large 4 lane highway. The locals threw a big tantrum and I've not heard any more about it.

#10 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 01:31 PM

Closest NASCAR track here is about an hour away from me. To far to hear anything or be bothered by traffic.

However, when they were running INDY races at the airport in town, I could hear them clearly, and traffic was nuts.

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 03:23 PM

Ive been drawn into Monday morning traffic after races at MIS. I love it...nothing like snapping pics of the adorable NASCAR fan-mobiles.

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 09:12 PM

I have a friend that owns 70 acres by CMS. He pays all his bills for the whole year just parking cars on his property. Bad thing is that on around race day he can't go anywhere so he has to make sure he plans ahead. Nothing like coffee and it taking 4 hours to get to the nearest store. I worked for him on one race several years back. It was a zoo. Driving there I could see the race track for about 3 hours before I got to his place which is about a 15 minute walk to the track. About a hour before the race started the highway patrol was directing all traffic into his lot. It only took me 10 minutes to get to the interstate when I left though. Every one was racing.

#13 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 12:34 PM

I live about 15 minutes from Dover International Speedway...traffic on race weekends is almost intolerable. :wallbanging: :shoot3: Good thing I know all the back roads.

I've worked in the Dover area a few times, and was warned to adjust my work sch around any events held at Dover. The roads are packed and the hotels all get booked solid.
I was also told that the tolls on RT 1 go up too. Not sure if that is a fact.

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 01:22 PM

I was camped at Dover for a race years ago. We went out for breakfast on race morning and when we returned they refused to let us back to our camping area. We got told where to park then someone else came running over and told us we couldn't park there and to move over to a different spot. This happened two more times until we ended up literally just inside the main gate pointing straight at the exit. After the race, we ended up being one of the first couple of dozen cars to leave. We got home four hours before our buddies who were parked at the campsite. ;-)

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 09:01 PM

I've worked in the Dover area a few times, and was warned to adjust my work sch around any events held at Dover. The roads are packed and the hotels all get booked solid.
I was also told that the tolls on RT 1 go up too. Not sure if that is a fact.

Since I've been working for Goodyear mounting tires for the past eight years, most of which have been at the Dover Races, I took notice that the crowds just aren't as big as they used to be the past two years. The banners keep getting bigger in turns two and three, just to cover up some of the empty seating. They are forcing the fans closer to the grandstand, just so it looks fuller whenever the camera pans around. There has been talk for two years now about possibly doing away with one of the Dover races, and it seems to be coming to a head very shortly. Since the fall race is the biggest, as far as crowds, I'm thinking they'll do away with the Spring race.

People just can't afford the race ticket prices anymore, plus the price of gas, motel rates, food and drinks if you're a camper, pit passes, and whenever else. I personally think most fans would rather stay at home to watch the races, as there is better coverage of the race tracks. I took this year off from mounting tires, and frankly, I don't miss it. Nascar just isn't what it used to be, nor as big or popular. They seem to have lost the desire to give the fans what they want, and it's starting to show. Big mistake in my opinion. Fans like big wrecks, close racing, and challenging points standing. At most tracks, if you aren't in the top five, it seems you'll never be able to catch up to the leader. No offense to anybody, but you can only put up with Jimmy Johnson winning the championship for so long. They should go back to old school or the ways things used to be, and just let the drivers go out and race. No rules or limitations. They need to do away with restrictor plate racing so that all of the cars aren't equal. Let the teams set up their cars they way they want, instead of all being set up per the rule books. I still like Nascar in general, but I won't buy a ticket to go to the race. Heck, I don't even watch it on TV anymore. I guess once you work there long enough, and get to talking to most of the drivers and teams, you realize they are no better than you and I, except for the fact that they have better paychecks. The excitement just isn't there anymore. 

• Cat385B said thank you