Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Skunks And Grubs Help!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 05:56 AM

I have a real skunk problem mainly because I have a lot of grubs in the yard.  I must because every morning my yard looks like the lunar surface.  Just this morning I took food out to the cats only to see a skunk staring at me about 10 feet from the porch.  It was getting pretty light out so I was surprised to see him.  One morning I looked out and there were three skunks digging in the yard.  So my question is, what can I put on the yard to get rid of the grubs?  Does any one product work better than any other?  What do you use?  My wife leaves for work well before daybreak and I don't need her encountering one of these little guys.  Need I say... that would stink.  Oh yeah, I did just say that.

Edited by David Brown, August 06, 2014 - 05:58 AM.

• sacsr, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#2 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 06:32 AM

There should be a good selection to choose from at either Lowes or Home Depot. Local hardware stores may have something as well.

http://www.bayeradva...om/grub-control

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 06:37 AM

There should be a good selection to choose from at either Lowes or Home Depot. Local hardware stores may have something as well.

http://www.bayeradva...om/grub-control

Thank you.  I'll look into these.

#4 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 06:53 AM

If you have a major infestation of grubs be prepared for for some serious stink once they start dying off.

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 07:14 AM

If you have a major infestation of grubs be prepared for for some serious stink once they start dying off.

Can't be any worse than the skunks!

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 07:21 AM

Yikes! This is a bad problem!! Good luck to you.

#7 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 07:30 AM

Can't be any worse than the skunks!

Not worse but equally as bad just in a different way.

This is the results of an application for crane fly larvae. Ever been down wind of a paper mill?

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

• David Brown, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 07:36 AM

Can't say that I have.  Well, one thing I know is true, I can put up with a one time stink to get rid of the one that keeps coming around.  My infestation is nothing like the one you pictured so that's good I guess.

#9 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Had a bad mole problem due to the grubs in our yard and flower beds. Tried about every thing on the market and what others said would work with no luck.  

Finally was told to use Milky spore to get rid of the grubs. Isn't cheap but it did the job wso I guess when I add up all the other stuff I tried that didn't work the milky spore was cheaper.

:D   Al

• David Brown said thank you

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Can you see where they are coming onto your property, i.e. through a fence or brush? I ask as I had skunks digging under my front porch a long time ago making a nest. I bought a small bag of fine powdered lime and dump in the hole and around the area. The skunks never came back. They have one of the most sensitive noses of any animal, that lime burns the heck out of them....don't ask how I know  :wallbanging: .

anyway, if you can spread some lime around your perimeter, it may be enough to keep them away. It may kill some plants though so use with caution. May not be good with cats either, but one sniff and they will stay away from it also  :thumbs:

• David Brown, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 08:14 AM

Can you see where they are coming onto your property, i.e. through a fence or brush? I ask as I had skunks digging under my front porch a long time ago making a nest. I bought a small bag of fine powdered lime and dump in the hole and around the area. The skunks never came back. They have one of the most sensitive noses of any animal, that lime burns the heck out of them....don't ask how I know  :wallbanging: .

anyway, if you can spread some lime around your perimeter, it may be enough to keep them away. It may kill some plants though so use with caution. May not be good with cats either, but one sniff and they will stay away from it also  :thumbs:

Thanks but we're trying to stay away from lime for a while as our soil tested with a high PH in the spring.  I think these critters may be living in a brush pile down at the neighbors house.  They seemed to start coming around shortly after he piled everything there a few years back.  I suppose I could put a line of lime down the driveway and stop them there if I was sure that's where they were coming from.

#12 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 08:27 AM

When I was younger, we had a product that solved that problem.  I think it was made by Cooey or Winchester.

• David Brown said thank you

#13 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 08:53 AM

You are on the right track IMO in trying to get rid of the grubs. The skunks are the symptom, not the real problem--- the real problem is the grubs. Lose them and the skunks will go elsewhere for lunch. Don't get me wrong; skunks in the yard are not a good thing, but in the grand scheme of things they are beneficial creatures and eat a huge amount of insect pests, like the grubs. I read somewhere that a skunk will eat a gallon of grasshoppers in a 24 hr. period.

• Bill56, David Brown and LilysDad have said thanks

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 09:13 AM

I would think those Grubs would make good fishing bait. Has anyone ever tried them?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#15 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 11:19 AM

Just put out enough cat food to keep the skunks full.