• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:09 PM

i had 3 original negatives that had to be sent off for processing and got those back today. i added the willys photo because its too cool not to share. i'm not sure what the box on the front may be but will try to find out for sure. doesnt seem like its something very important because its not there and would be in the way on any of the tractors with front mounted implements. one of my first thoughts was perhaps a box for ballast if using some of the heavier rear implements like the rotary cutter or pallet forks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2075140-R1-E001.jpg
  • img001.jpg
  • img002.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#17 rodneyr OFFLINE  

rodneyr
  • Member No: 68466
  • 17 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 07:56 AM

The photos of the Bush Hog Javelina mostly show my father, Earl Miner, the designer of the Javelina. He worked at the Galesburg plant around 1968-72, I estimate, while we lived in Moran, Kansas. Many of the photos were taken on our farm. The single-wheel cart photo shows me and my little sister, and I am the one dumping the wood in another photo. My mother, Leona Miner, is also shown standing with Earl and my little sister. I found this thread somehow while looking for the perfect tractor for my wife. The Javelina would have been perfect; I wonder if I could find one for her. Earl Miner was a prolific designer, and some of his other projects can be seen on the blog of my website; Lightfootcycles.com. Earl is now very old, and no longer able to correspond. I am afraid that I don't have much to add about the Javelina, except that a child could use it, it was so simple.

• olcowhand, DH1, rustyoldjunk and 6 others have said thanks

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:16 AM

The photos of the Bush Hog Javelina mostly show my father, Earl Miner, the designer of the Javelina. He worked at the Galesburg plant around 1968-72, I estimate, while we lived in Moran, Kansas. Many of the photos were taken on our farm. The single-wheel cart photo shows me and my little sister, and I am the one dumping the wood in another photo. My mother, Leona Miner, is also shown standing with Earl and my little sister. I found this thread somehow while looking for the perfect tractor for my wife. The Javelina would have been perfect; I wonder if I could find one for her. Earl Miner was a prolific designer, and some of his other projects can be seen on the blog of my website; Lightfootcycles.com. Earl is now very old, and no longer able to correspond. I am afraid that I don't have much to add about the Javelina, except that a child could use it, it was so simple.

What an unexpected treat to have someone so close to these machines history introduce themselves.
Thanks for joining, :welcometogttalk:
I'm sure the BH guys are lining up to ask you questions as I type this.
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:24 AM

Rodney, welcome and thanks for your post. Very interesting you're closeness to the JB series.

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:31 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Thanks to your Dad for designing this tractor!

#21 rodneyr OFFLINE  

rodneyr
  • Member No: 68466
  • 17 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 11:30 AM

You can read the book about Bush Hog designer Earl Miner's life at http://www.blurb.com...nd-his-machines  Click on the full-screen view button at lower right for easiest reading. On page 69 you can see the first photo of the Javelina, with a number of pages telling its story.The TRAG tractor/truck/motorcycle shares a lot of the aesthetic and mechanics of the Javelina, and it appears on page 84. For kicks, don't miss the Rocket Car starting on page 100. The person who put this book together was my sister Kathleen, who being a few years older than me at the time remembers more details about the Javelina; I will quiz her when she gets back in the country. -- Rodney Miner

• olcowhand, DH1, rustyoldjunk and 5 others have said thanks

#22 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 11:33 AM

Great stuff!! Thanks for joining and sharing this info!

#23 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 06:22 PM

thanks Rodney for the great information.  I will be sure to take some time to read the book.

#24 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 15, 2015 - 08:48 PM

Thanks so much Rodney for sharing your Dad's story. :thumbs:  Can you tell me what ever came of the prototype that all the kids rode around on. That would be quite a piece to add to a collection. :D

• rustyoldjunk and MH81 have said thanks

#25 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 03:17 PM

:welcometogttalk: