6 replies to this topic

#1 gtrscott OFFLINE  

gtrscott
  • Member No: 61071
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 10:06 AM

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to garden tractors. I have a 300 with a 16hp Kohler engine that has bad fuel pump. I've searched and see lots of plastic replacements. Does anybody make a rebuild kit for the original metal ones?

Also, neutral isn't usually found in the neutral position. If I go forward, I'll find neutral in the reverse area of the lever. If I use reverse, neutral is in the forward area. Is this likely to be adjustment?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Scott

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 10:43 AM

Welcome to GTTalk Scott. I have had the neutral problem on both my 300 series tractors, a 314 and a 317. There is a mechanism for adjusting neutral. It tends to get gummed up or seized over time. You need to take that apart, clean and lube it then try to adjust for neutral again. The linkage is quite a contraption and has a lot of points that can build up friction. Lubing the linkage from the lever back to the transmission may also help. There is also a spring that sometimes breaks. The spring holds the transmission control lever in a detent. If the spring is broken neutral will be hard to find. Here are the 2 versions of the linkage. I have attached the diagrams. On the first diagram( the left one) the spring I'm refering to is No27. The roller No. 25 fits into the notch in the lever No. 21 to establish neutral. The lever No. 26 is mounted on an eccentric bushing No.16 that you adjust to get neutral. All this stuff has to be free to move and be adjusted properly to get consistent neutral with the speed control. Hope this helps get the neutral problem sorted out. The parts diagrams can be found on line at JDParts.com. Do a model search for 300 and find the 300 garden tractor in the list.

M22394F________UN01JAN94.gif   M22393F________UN01JAN94.gif

• gtrscott said thank you

#3 gtrscott OFFLINE  

gtrscott
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 11:13 AM

Thanks very much for that detailed info. That, and the jdparts.com reference will help a lot!! :rolling:

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 03:51 PM

I have a service manual if needed.  As for the fuel pump, I am going with this one on my 312:

http://www.kirkengin...ctronicFuelPump

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 09:04 PM

I do sell the plastic fuel pumps, and I sell a lot of them.  They seem to last very well considering the materials.  I sold one to a guy about two years ago who has his Kohler K series on a concrete mixer.  He had just bored out the engine .010 when I sold it to him.  He is complaining now that is starting to burn some hour, and the hour meter says he has 500 hours on the rebuild.  I think that is a pretty good track record for the old plastic pump.

However, if you want to rebuild the one you have, here is a guy who makes rebuild kits.  Then and Now Automotive.  http://www.maritimed...ohler_pumps.pdf

They are excellent kits.  I've used one and its still pumping.  :wave:

Ben W.

#6 gtrscott OFFLINE  

gtrscott
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 03:45 PM

I have a service manual if needed.  As for the fuel pump, I am going with this one on my 312:

http://www.kirkengin...ctronicFuelPump

Thanks Trav1s, I'd like to get a service manual.

Edited by gtrscott, August 06, 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 06, 2014 - 06:05 PM

They are worth the money.  Watch ebay and a cheap one will show up sooner or later.