• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 10:43 AM

I installed the deck on my HT20 after flushing and refilling the gear box, sharpening the blades, and greasing everything...

However I have a few problems.

1. I can't seem to get the deck level (mainly the front is lower than rear and doesn't seem to want to adjust).

2. should the driveshaft have been the quick attach "snap collar" style? My grandfather modified this one so it has set screws that chase in on the PTO shaft. He also added to the length of it so it slips further over the square shaft and over the PTO.

3. has anyone added some type of caster wheels or wheels in general to the front of their deck? My grandfather had added wheels to this one, but I would like to do something similar in setup to what my Cub Cadet 2072 had on it's 60" Haban Deck (attached some pictures for comparison). 

I don't have any pictures of the homemade setup grandpa made on this deck (will snap some when I have time). It seems to work at keeping the deck from gouging into the ground, but i'm still baffled at the leveling of the deck. Perhaps that's why he added the wheels. 

Any help, and pictures are greatly appreciated. I believe it is installed correctly....... and other than the initial adjustment issues it seems to be cutting really well (does get plugged up easily though). 

Thanks,

Nick

Attached Thumbnails

• Haban Mower Deck Cub Cadet 2.jpg
  • Haban Mower Deck Cub Cadet.jpg

#2 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 10:59 AM

As for the deck, you want the front 1/4" lower than the rear. It does 2 things, it helps to lift the grass for a more even cut and it makes better stripes if you like that look
  • nglauer said thank you

#3 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 06:46 PM

I can't help with any know how.
I just got this two days ago!
But, the p.o. Bought it new. And never saw a need to change anything!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Joe
  • nglauer said thank you

#4 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 12:12 AM

As for the deck, you want the front 1/4" lower than the rear. It does 2 things, it helps to lift the grass for a more even cut and it makes better stripes if you like that look

I think the biggest issue is i'm having a hard time getting the deck to get within a 1/4" It seems to be off by an 1" or so... possibly more (haven't measured). I've adjusted the arms and all the brackets look as if they match the owners manual.. so i'm very baffled. Everything is so tight I can't get any additional adjustment on it (atleast on the long rod style arms that go front to back on each side). 

The caster wheels have helped.. as I can lower it and let it rest on those... but i'm stiff off left to right. It looks as if my deck is cutting 3 stair stepped rows in the grass (my wife thought it looked cool lol). I will admit... it made my yard look "special" lol. 

Rock farmer thank you for sharing those pictures. I think everything matches yours.. and looks factory correct to the manual I have. Only thing I can think is that i'm looking at it wrong.. or trying to adjust it improperly. The manual is slightly vague on adjustments (atleast to me it is). 

Thanks again!

Nick

#5 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 03:46 AM

Tire size and inflation can cause what your talking about.

Joe

Edited by Rock farmer, August 05, 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#6 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 06:01 AM

Make sure when you're measuring that your not just measuring from the deck to the ground. You have to align the outer blades so that they are facing forward with the deck. You then measure from the tip to the ground on the front of either blade. Do the same from the back of the blade. That's where you'll find how much pitch you have. NOW, align both outer blades horizontal with the deck. Measure outer tips of blades to the ground. Should be no more than 1/4", that's how you'll know if the deck is sitting level. I know it's confusing. I can make a video and shower you exactly what i mean if you need me to. Good luck.

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted August 05, 2014 - 12:26 PM

Good advice Plowboy..!!!   I once over tightened my blades,,  and  or pullys,,, only to find out I was drawing the whole shaft and it made the blades uneven....  Check the blade height,,, not the deck height...        Good luck............

#8 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 01:30 PM

I didn't realize you could pull the blades down by over tightening them? The spindles on my deck have two bolts per blade..

I also have chains that allow the front of the deck to hang from the frame... does anyone else have this or is this something my grandfather came up with? I thought I snapped pictures of the deck last night after mowing... but I apparently only "thought" I did lol. 

I will make sure to snap pic's of the chain setup and the caster wheels that are on my deck (Which I would like to change.. but seem to be working fine). 

Thanks again!

Nick

p.s. if anyone knows anything about Homelite Chainsaws... i'm looking for a manual and information about one. I posted it in another section.. but here is a picture of it (very dirty because I did quite a bit of cutting with it). It's in excellent shape (aside from paint being worn off the bar). No clue of the age, but it's a torque monster.

Attached Thumbnails

• Homelite Textron Super XL Red.jpg

#9 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 03:40 PM

I didn't realize you could pull the blades down by over tightening them? The spindles on my deck have two bolts per blade..

I also have chains that allow the front of the deck to hang from the frame... does anyone else have this or is this something my grandfather came up with? I thought I snapped pictures of the deck last night after mowing... but I apparently only "thought" I did lol.

I will make sure to snap pic's of the chain setup and the caster wheels that are on my deck (Which I would like to change.. but seem to be working fine).

Thanks again!
Nick

p.s. if anyone knows anything about Homelite Chainsaws... i'm looking for a manual and information about one. I posted it in another section.. but here is a picture of it (very dirty because I did quite a bit of cutting with it). It's in excellent shape (aside from paint being worn off the bar). No clue of the age, but it's a torque monster.

That is the BEST saw that homelite ever made. I have several.

The first one I ever bought was new and I bought it in 1983 for $360 I believe. That were the cats behind back then.
I think they made them from the late 60's or so to the mid 80's.

They came with a 16" bar but will handle a 20" & 24" with no problems.

Edited by NJKen, August 08, 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#10 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 01:39 PM

That is the BEST saw that homelite ever made. I have several.

The first one I ever bought was new and I bought it in 1983 for $360 I believe. That were the cats behind back then.
I think they made them from the late 60's or so to the mid 80's.

They came with a 16" bar but will handle a 20" & 24" with no problems.

Ken - I love the saw so far. I mixed some 32:1 homelite oil to some premium no ethanol gas and cut up a bunch of pine tree limbs (I had no idea how many I had lobed off with the poland weedeater pole saw). 2 trailer loads later than the remnants of the three pine tree's I trimmed were gone.. along with all of my energy. I forgot how heavy, itchy, and sticky pine is. Oddly though.. the first time I ran it was with a small amount of Stihl chainsaw mix, which is a different ratio (50:1). I didn't run much of it through, as I wasn't sure if the mixture was right. The Homelite loved the 50:1 and actually ran much better. I wondering if it's safe to run anything other than the factory recommendation of 32:1?

Now back to the mower... I have some pictures of the caster wheel setup, chains, and adjustments on my deck. It seems to be cutting better, but it still acts like it is in a bind raising and lowering... i'm not sure what's hooked up wrong, or why I can't get my height correct without using those chains and caster wheels. The deck just wants to run down hill regardless of what I adjust... perhaps i'm just looking at it wrong.

backside of the deck

20140808_204722.jpg

Caster wheel on right side

20140808_204508.jpg

Wheel on left side 

20140808_204456.jpg

Chains that hang the deck?

20140808_204513.jpg

20140808_204435.jpg

20140808_204544.jpg

20140808_204647.jpg

Perhaps one of you will notice what i've hooked up wrong... because i'm pretty clueless.

Thanks again!

Nick

#11 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 02:00 PM

I didn't realize they were that expensive back then. I guess it goes to prove that many of the older name brands have just been turned into novelty disposables anymore.. just like our poor old Bolens brand :(

#12 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 02:11 PM

Those chains should not be there.

#13 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 02:26 PM

Those chains should not be there.

I knew they weren't factory, but they do help keep the deck floating.. without them the deck runs down hill and won't level out. Any idea what might be out of whack? Also, my hydraulic lever won't stay in float... suppose that's by grandpa added the chains? I know they have been on there for many many years.. probably longer than i've been alive lol

#14 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 05:47 PM

Here's acouple more pictures of mine.
Maybe You have a bracket reversed, or You are using a wrong hole?

1.image.jpg
2.image.jpg

I checked the manual on this site. But, I can't really see the pictures!
Have You got a hard copy?

I know I'll need to figure this out too!

Joe
  • nglauer said thank you

#15 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Here's acouple more pictures of mine.
Maybe You have a bracket reversed, or You are using a wrong hole?

1.attachicon.gifimage.jpg
2.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I checked the manual on this site. But, I can't really see the pictures!
Have You got a hard copy?

I know I'll need to figure this out too!

Joe

I'm pretty sure mine is setup like that... but something doesn't seem to be working right. I'm going to double check my pins... I may have one that's to long, which might be causing the binding when raising. As for the leveling... i'm guessing the issue goes back many years... it not I can't imagine why grandpa would have created those chains or caster wheels... especially for a yard that is pretty much flat and smooth. 

It's a real head scratcher...

Thanks again!

Nick